Rumor: Flyers working to re-sign Raffl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Who is ready to play in the NHL next year as a forward? Not Konecny, because he's going to slot in the Top 6.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Keep him. He is undervalued and may not be a scorer but a perfect role player that you really never have to worry about when on the ice

dementia5

Feb 24, 2016
Those are all bad deals. Gagner was a salary dump that they had to accept from PHX for them taking Grossman and Prongers money. Same with Umberger, from Columbus. Hextall inherited the worst cap situation in the league when he took over.

As for Raffl, I think he's a useful player that can chip in 30-40 points. Keep him.

And YES, Simmonds is underpayed, the guy is a monster, but as a Flyers fan, thats a good thing isn't it? He'll get his when his contract comes up.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Hopefully Hextall is seeing if he can sign him at a value price ahead of the deadline to better evaluate what he is offered for Raffl. I am fine with Raffl <2mm for a couple of years, higher than that, mind as well trade him for a 3rd if possible.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
He's not terrible but doesn't do anything particularly well, and doesn't contribute on special teams.

Anything more than 2 years and/or $2.5m per would be disappointing.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
He's not terrible but doesn't do anything particularly well, and doesn't contribute on special teams.

Anything more than 2 years and/or $2.5m per would be disappointing.
He doesn't contribute on special teams because marginal talents like White, VandeVelde, and Bellemare have taken over as the lead penalty killers, which is the major reason why this team won't make the playoffs again this year.

He's 10x the penalty killer than the above listed scrubs, yet he's played 2 minutes on the PK all year. After looking good in his first season, for some reason Laperriere decided to gift the PK responsibilities to a bunch of scrubs, which has been this team's Achilles heel ever since. Not saying Raffl alone would change this team's fate, but if Couturier, Giroux, Read, Raffl, and Laughton took away all of Bellemare and VandeVelde's SH time, this team probably had a chance to make the playoffs this year. Read, Raffl, and Laughton should start getting the majority of the PK time going forward, not waiver wire fodder.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Even Umberger would be a better PK option than Ryan White. The amount of SH TOI he has accumulated this season is baffling.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Would not re-sign.

This would be yet another example of Hextall's overly severe aversion to promoting young prospects to the NHL lineup.

The only prospect who might be ready for full time NHL duty but is still in the AHL is Leier, and when he was promoted earlier this season it's not like he did anything that screamed keep me up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, not sure who else other than Straka would get a look. Cousins is already here.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I wouldn't mind having him back not for a long-term or big money deal. Not sure what I would top out on for him, probably around $2 million a year for 2-3 years tops. He should be a permanent fixture in the bottom six if he is re-signed.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I really depends on how they plan to develop certain players.

In my mind the emergence of Nick Cousins definitely makes Ryan White expendable. Both are undersized, yet hard nosed, but are not skilled enough to make a difference.

Raffl comes with an intriguing combination of size and skating ability which makes him more versatile but Laughton could replace him if he demands too much money.

The focus should be to become better as a team, especially to improve the PK and the bottom-6 as a unit. They struggled this year but some players who excelled in that area before did not even get a fair chance to show what they can do. Next year for the first time we will actually get to see a roster that is a direct product of Hextall/Hakstol.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd like to think White has been used on the PK this season to try and raise his value. It certainly hasn't helped the team win games.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I really depends on how they plan to develop certain players.

In my mind the emergence of Nick Cousins definitely makes Ryan White expendable. Both are undersized, yet hard nosed, but are not skilled enough to make a difference.

Raffl comes with an intriguing combination of size and skating ability which makes him more versatile but Laughton could replace him if he demands too much money.

The focus should be to become better as a team, especially to improve the PK and the bottom-6 as a unit. They struggled this year but some players who excelled in that area before did not even get a fair chance to show what they can do. Next year for the first time we will actually get to see a roster that is a direct product of Hextall/Hakstol.

I think Ryan White was expendable since the first day of the season. I like White, but he's a dime a dozen guy. We've guys within the org and there's UFAs every year that can be had to fill his role for the 12th/13th forward spot. I've got no problem with White, but if anyone wants him they can have him.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
I hope Hextall recognizes this and deals VDV and White at the deadline. Raffl is way more valuable. If we can get him signed for something like 3 years @ 2.5 mil we won't be disapointed

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Raffl is entering his prime, and his advanced stats consistently have him as our 6th best forward, and it wasn't a product of playing with G & V, he's got solid advanced stats this year bouncing around lines.

He's limited offensively, but he's not a black hole. Otherwise he's a solid forward who provides flexibility, something undervalued in an 80 game season until you watch the Flyers go with 1 decent line for half the season. He can play with Couts and make that a great possession line, then move down to the 3rd or 4th line if they land or develop a LW who deserve to play on the 2nd line.

What Raffl does which is grossly underappreciated is the "dirty work," he'll chase the puck into the offensive zone, go into corners, fight for the puck and keep it in the zone - as we add more talented offensive defensemen that trait becomes more valuable - as long as he keeps opportunities alive, someone else can finish the job.

One reason his stats aren't impressive is he doesn't get any PP time, guys like Hartnell weren't much better offensively ES (because he had to be set up by his linemates, Raffl makes plays happen), and were far worse defensively. Raffl is the kind of winger who effectively eats up ES time, freeing other top wingers for PP duty.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
He's a versatile guy who's good defensively that's ideally a third liner, but can play up higher if you absolutely need him to. He also fits in with the age around here going forward. Its a no brainer to sign him for a few years at around 2-2.5 million aav

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Raffl is entering his prime, and his advanced stats consistently have him as our 6th best forward, and it wasn't a product of playing with G & V, he's got solid advanced stats this year bouncing around lines.

He's limited offensively, but he's not a black hole. Otherwise he's a solid forward who provides flexibility, something undervalued in an 80 game season until you watch the Flyers go with 1 decent line for half the season. He can play with Couts and make that a great possession line, then move down to the 3rd or 4th line if they land or develop a LW who deserve to play on the 2nd line.

What Raffl does which is grossly underappreciated is the "dirty work," he'll chase the puck into the offensive zone, go into corners, fight for the puck and keep it in the zone - as we add more talented offensive defensemen that trait becomes more valuable - as long as he keeps opportunities alive, someone else can finish the job.

One reason his stats aren't impressive is he doesn't get any PP time, guys like Hartnell weren't much better offensively ES (because he had to be set up by his linemates, Raffl makes plays happen), and were far worse defensively. Raffl is the kind of winger who effectively eats up ES time, freeing other top wingers for PP duty.

At 27, Raffl is not entering his prime. He's either in the middle of it, or getting ready to come out of it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

The bolded is due to lack of options, not because Raffl has stepped up.

He is a bottom 6 player, pay him like it. With Laughton, Cousins, Konecny, Lindblom and NAK on the way, hopefully in 17/18 he is on the 4th line.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not just due to lack of options, his Corsi rel has been consistently in the top six on this team, just behind the "stars." Everyone makes excuses for Laughton, but Raffl has drawn linemates just as bad this year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's not just due to lack of options, his Corsi rel has been consistently in the top six on this team, just behind the "stars." Everyone makes excuses for Laughton, but Raffl has drawn linemates just as bad this year.

Well I think anyone would agree that if you are not playing in our top 6, your linemates are not ideal. It has been a collection of too young, too old, awful, average at best, etc..

I just keep thinking if our pick was used for an immediate #2LW that is young...like a Drouin...our bottom lines fall into perfect place.

Laughton Cousins Konecny- sheltered kid line who provides speed and some offense

PEB Raffl Read- that is a much better 4th line than we have had this year. And even if they are overused like the Hak line, they are much more capable of handling the few extra minutes

And as our 3rd line gains Haks trust, they can be used more like a 3rd line should and then drop some minutes of the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad