Post-Game Talk: Flyers win.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think I have decided that my next jersey will be a Konecny jersey. I love the way he plays and we were born on the same day.
Nice. I got one for my son. His first! I love the motor that TK has. Like praise out there.

I need to see who is next for me. I have primeau and Simmonds so far. Was going to get Richards the season he was traded. If ghost keeps it up I may have to buck the trend and go with him. He’s an absolute pleasure to watch. Such a unique talent.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I mean... the fancy stats actually say he is:

Most likely the 5th best Dman on the Flyers this season. (4th best CF%, 5th best ExGF%, with middling minutes. Though Hagg is JUST behind him in ExGF and plays far tougher minutes.)

And of the 201 Dmen with 300+ TOI he is:

100th in CF%
107th in ExGF%

Vs mainly 3rd lines with even ZSR.

I mean, tbf to him he has objectively been 'fine' this season. This is his best year in the NHL. He has for sure played at a very, very passable bottom pairing level.
He hasn’t been horrendous, but make a lot of positional mistakes which I hate because it means he’s not paying attention and he’s just not very smart. The biggest issue the coach playing him over sanhiem and GM over Morin and giving him PP minutes.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I'm not actually that worried about them. I think we have seen them at their worst and I think our top players are good enough to carry them a round. If goaltending deteriorates or we play a great defensive team like Boston I don't think we even have a chance at making it to game 6.

Hope you're right, Azir.

While I can see why some guys would prefer the strategic benefits of missing the playoffs, I want the Flyers to go. There's a lot of talent on this club and you never know when a team will get hot and do some damage. Besides, my birthday is in late April and I get cranky when the Flyers aren't playing then. :D

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Hope you're right, Azir.

While I can see why some guys would prefer the strategic benefits of missing the playoffs, I want the Flyers to go. There's a lot of talent on this club and you never know when a team will get hot and do some damage. Besides, my birthday is in late April and I get cranky when the Flyers aren't playing then. :D

I rarely am.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Anything's possible in the Metro this year. A bad streak and we could finish last, a hot streak and we could be fighting for the top spot.

I'm actually getting more and more excited about this season which wasn't the case at all at the start of the year.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
A win tomorrow in regulation and the Flyers are 6 points back of FIRST place in the metro with a game in hand.

A lot of teams jumbled up for sure but that should tell you that if they simply play good hockey the rest of the year there’s no reason they shouldn’t be in the tourney.

Reactions: whitstifier

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I would watch a buddy cop movie starring Ghost and Provy (Teek in the Joe Pesci role). Man, I love them together. Hockey can be a beautiful sport, and watching them work the cycle is as beautiful as it gets. It’s so anti-Hakstol. For all the talk of Provorov’s “chemistry” with MacDonald, I rate that 5/5 Veteran BS Stars. Provorov and Ghost have the unreal chemistry. Not only do their best attributes shine through individually when together, but they improve each other’s play. Certain areas of criticism for both aren’t applicable anymore. This is a mother flipping Top Pair.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It might not seem like a lot but six points is hard to gain ground on. The Flyers have strung together a good record as of late & they’ve been sitting around the last place out spot for a bit here.

Yeh, to have a decent chance of winning the division they probably need to go ~23-9-4 from here.

To get 2nd seed in division probably need to go ~21-11-4.

To get 3rd seed in division probably need to go ~19-12-5.

To get WC1 probably need to go ~18-13-5.

To get WC2 probably need to go ~17-14-5.

To miss play-offs probably need to go ~16-15-5 or worse.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeh, to have a decent chance of winning the division they probably need to go ~23-9-4 from here.

I love when you do this lol

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think it comes down to Patrick. If he continues to improve, you can cut Filppula's minutes down a couple a game, and when he has some spring in his legs, he can still be effective. And suddenly you're rolling 3 decent lines.
The defense may piss people off, but it works. Too many people have unreal expectations of what most teams have on defense.
It would be nice to get Lindblom and NAK up for depth.
I think Morin is "next year" because he simply can't stay healthy, not because he's not liked. What is it, 3 months now?
Sanheim may go down, but if he works hard he'll be back, they really want him to succeed, but on their terms.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
For lack of a better thread, I just randomly found this image with google

Voila_Capture-2015-05-18_10-46-46_AM.jpg
:laugh: Kids on the left and right are like "this shmuck could never coach in the NHL."

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The usage of Ghoul continues to make me laugh. We all see he is nowhere close to an NHL player in any capacity but physical (and it never leads to puck possession or anything), and his usage indicates the coaching staff feels the same way. They don’t use him down, tied, or leading. They don’t use him on the PK. They routinely sub Voracek for him, even when up. His minutes have trended down from 5 to 3. They’re admitting he’s not good enough to play, but on we go. :laugh:

I’d say they are aware that the team hasn’t lost with Ghoul in the lineup, but surely they’re not that simplistic and slavish to cause/effect. No, the team for mysterious reasons has never lost with Ghoul in the lineup getting under 6 minutes! They know exactly what they’re doing.

So my only question is why didn’t the team’s analytics guy also point out they’ve never lost a game Sanheim played <7 minutes?

Last edited:

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I mean... the fancy stats actually say he is:

Most likely the 5th best Dman on the Flyers this season. (4th best CF%, 5th best ExGF%, with middling minutes. Though Hagg is JUST behind him in ExGF and plays far tougher minutes.)

And of the 201 Dmen with 300+ TOI he is:

100th in CF%
107th in ExGF%

Vs mainly 3rd lines with even ZSR.

I mean, tbf to him he has objectively been 'fine' this season. This is his best year in the NHL. He has for sure played at a very, very passable bottom pairing level.
He's gone from Sad Joke to Serviceable. That don't mean I have to like him. (Sorry Boxy)

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

You could make all of these numbers up and I'd never know it.

I don't even care -- I love your posts. I choose to believe in your accuracy blindly just like a child believes in Santa Clause.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
The usage of Ghoul continues to make me laugh. We all see he is nowhere close to an NHL player in any capacity but physical (and it never leads to puck possession or anything), and his usage indicates the coaching staff feels the same way. They don’t use him down, tied, or leading. They don’t use him on the PK. They routinely sub Voracek for him, even when up. His minutes have trended down from 5 to 3. They’re admitting he’s not good enough to play, but on we go. :laugh:

I’d say they are aware that the team hasn’t lost with Ghoul in the lineup, but surely they’re not that simplistic and slavish to cause/effect. No, the team for mysterious reasons has never lost with Ghoul in the lineup getting under 6 minutes! They know exactly what they’re doing.

So my only question is why didn’t the team’s analytics guy also point out they’ve never lost a game Sanheim played >7 minutes?

Maybe they are winning because they are playing one of their best forwards more often in his place now. Voracek gets double shifted when Ghoul sits.

Reactions: whitstifier

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

It’s that time of year again when you start cranking out the possible finishes to the season. I love it!

I see us getting the DV3 or WC 1 spot. I think we will have a decent matchup with either that could go well for us.

Reactions: Appleyard

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
You can call me all the crazies you want. But I imagine the impact on the results when Ghoul entered the team is nothing to do with his on ice play. He might just be one of those glue locker room guys that every team needs. With a nutcase head coach like we have, is it all that crazy to think he's playing the role that Jody Shelley did for the flyers.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I mean, I think that they can match up vs anyone in the East that are not Tampa or Boston.

Why?

1. Flyers team D at 5v5 is really good. Almost to a man. I mean, I don't rate several players on this roster... but all of them have bought into the system and play very disciplined hockey. Yeh, sure, mistakes are made, but all teams make mistakes and Flyers make less than most.

2. Sean Couturier. He can nullify any player in the NHL. If the other team has simply one amazing line the Flyers first line will make them meaningless in a series at 5v5 and outscore them to boot.

3. The PP. If they get hot the 1st unit can win a series on their own.

this is why the flyers will never win the stanley cup because you are focused on three players and it's not enough, if they get shut down in the playoffs and no one in our depth steps up, the flyers will be eliminated, it's been that way for years. yes the metro stinks but it doesnt make us cup contenders, eventually we get eliminated, no changes are made, the gm still thinks we can win the cup, rinse and repeat until the big contracts run out and we build nothing from it. if hextall actually grew a brain and traded away the big contracts and focus on getting depth players, then yes i believe this team can win a cup because it's not focused on one or two players.

isnt that why we went to finals in 2010 because they had strong depth and not focused on one player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad