Post-Game Talk: Flyers win.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Manning stood up for Jake and took a penalty. He is a hero in Haks eyes. Actual hockey playing and evaluation is meaningless. Give this man a new contract. Throw your fancy stats out the window.

Just start drafting dusters. That's what the coach wants. The amateur scouting staff is wasting there time. Send a memo to them saying the team would rather have no-possession shot blockers instead. Maybe see if we can re-aquire the rights to Colin Suellentrop.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009

Seems to be a correlation when putting a good player with another good player instead of a garbage player.

TK with G and Couts and not punishing him after any and every error. Who would have thunk it? Oh ya, about every single fan on this board and probably folks who have only watched a handful of hockey games in their life. But not our coach. It only took him a year and a half.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
DUA0hclX4AATLXC

Hakstol’s reaction after today’s win.

Having seen every head coach in the history of the Flyers, Hakstol is not bad at all:thumbu:.
PS I guess your picture is a time warp photo? Cousins, Mason, and DelZotto?:sarcasm:
PSS: I wonder how jersey is feeling about Zacha after today's game? They really must be coming up with all type of excuses for him after seeing TK's and Ivan's play today.

Last edited:

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Are we really going to criticize Manning for standing up for Jake? I, mean yeah he took a penalty but 9 out of 10 times that would have evened out to make it 4 on 4, he just got unlucky that the refs missed the call on the NJ player. He had a rough game and of course is a bad defenseman who shouldn't be in over Sanheim, but ripping him for taking a penalty for sticking up for Jake just seems silly. Especially since we also would have criticized him if he had just watched by and did nothing

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Are we really going to criticize Manning for standing up for Jake? I, mean yeah he took a penalty but 9 out of 10 times that would have evened out to make it 4 on 4, he just got unlucky that the refs missed the call on the NJ player. He had a rough game and of course is a bad defenseman who shouldn't be in over Sanheim, but ripping him for taking a penalty for sticking up for Jake just seems silly. Especially since we also would have criticized him if he had just watched by and did nothing

I'd give that username a 10/10.

A lot more than a whoop-de-doo/10

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Having seen every head coach in the history of the Flyers, Hakstol is not bad at all:thumbu:.
PS I guess your picture is a time warp photo? Cousins, Mason, and DelZotto?:sarcasm:
PSS: I wonder how jersey is feeling about Zacha after today's game? They really must be coming up with all type of excuses for him after seeing TK's and Ivan's play today.

I don’t even know what any of that means.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
1*bl5kMZQaHElqS9C8j_Ei7Q.gif

Referees, not you.

Ghost and Provy both with 8 high danger chances for and 1 against at even strength.

Neuvy with another nice outing.

Provy looked like a rover early in the game. Is he allowed to do that?

Credit to Manning for standing up for Jake, but a debit for chasing behind our goal (when Hagg was already there) and leaving a Devil all alone for a point blank chance.

Provy didn't get an assist on the TK goal, but his nice check on Hall got it going. Beautiful rush and pass from Ghost on that play.

We're lucky Ken Appleby didn't start??? Can't believe how many chances we missed against him, but he played well in relief.

Tyrell Goulbourne, the most effective sub-four minute player in the League.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
I went back and rewatched and sure looked like he was on the bench the whole time. Benching or some sore of equipment would,be the best options I think.

Sadly our beats won't ask the question, or aren't allowed to.
I saw him drinking on the bench too

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I thought this was a great game. They supported each other rather well. And executed plays fairly well. To me they were well coached......heresy you say.
image,jpg.JPG
s Yes if only the talented youngsters were playing instead of the buffoons you keep scuffing at we would have been better off.....perhaps. But the youngsters might have woundd up like Pete! ;-))

Personally I like winning games....it is a good feeling and a great vibe to have.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
TK with G and Couts and not punishing him after any and every error. Who would have thunk it? Oh ya, about every single fan on this board and probably folks who have only watched a handful of hockey games in their life. But not our coach. It only took him a year and a half.

:thumbu: Amazing what a little confidence can do

Didn't somebody say it would take years before TK would make a difference tho?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

If this is directed at me, I was criticizing the coach, not the player. I think that was clear.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Had to record the game and just finished watching

Massive two points
Officiating was horrendous.
Hak’s coaching might have been worse. At some point he has to realize that Gostisbehere is the best defensive defensemen on this team not named Provorov. Relying on Hagg, Macdonald and Manning to win games won’t work.
Speaking of Provorov. Spectacular.
Couts a rock star.

Reactions: Vikke and Foggy14

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Don't look now, but Manning is easily in the top 100, maybe the top 75 of NHL defensemen according to your fancy stats.

I mean... the fancy stats actually say he is:

Most likely the 5th best Dman on the Flyers this season. (4th best CF%, 5th best ExGF%, with middling minutes. Though Hagg is JUST behind him in ExGF and plays far tougher minutes.)

And of the 201 Dmen with 300+ TOI he is:

100th in CF%
107th in ExGF%

Vs mainly 3rd lines with even ZSR.

I mean, tbf to him he has objectively been 'fine' this season. This is his best year in the NHL. He has for sure played at a very, very passable bottom pairing level.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Can this team succeed in the playoffs? I feel we could handle some teams, but a team like the Bruins would probably sweep us.

They have been good-great lately. I'm more worried about goaltending.

I'm more worried about three of our six regular defenders.

At least Sanheim is rapidly improving his
popcorn eating skills by watching from the press box.

Reactions: Vikke and Magua

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

I'm more worried about three of our six regular defenders.

At least Sanheim is rapidly improving his
popcorn eating skills by watching from the press box.

I'm not actually that worried about them. I think we have seen them at their worst and I think our top players are good enough to carry them a round. If goaltending deteriorates or we play a great defensive team like Boston I don't think we even have a chance at making it to game 6.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I have to say I really like how the lines have been rolling. Ghoulbourne despite few minutes played, looks like he brings what this team was missing. If he could brush up his skill/speed a little bit. He could be a great fit for the 4th line.

I loved that play where I think it was Laughton driving the net and the Jersey player went to cross check Laughton out of the way , and ghoul went in there and made him look scared shitless.

Having a guy that can bang the other team around and bring energy , helps this team.

Rinaldo used to be that guy, but wasn't very effective at anything else , and also took too many costly penalties.

I also think Sanheim should be sent to the AHL. And maybe Morin could get a look up here.

Provorov--Ghost
Morin--Macdonald
Hagg--Gudas

Is what I would like.

None the less happy of the win. Man does Couturier look great this year.

Proof that 5 years of development helps. In 4 - 5 years Patrick will be that guy . Or Frost ?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'm not actually that worried about them. I think we have seen them at their worst and I think our top players are good enough to carry them a round. If goaltending deteriorates or we play a great defensive team like Boston I don't think we even have a chance at making it to game 6.

I mean, I think that they can match up vs anyone in the East that are not Tampa or Boston.

Why?

1. Flyers team D at 5v5 is really good. Almost to a man. I mean, I don't rate several players on this roster... but all of them have bought into the system and play very disciplined hockey. Yeh, sure, mistakes are made, but all teams make mistakes and Flyers make less than most.

2. Sean Couturier. He can nullify any player in the NHL. If the other team has simply one amazing line the Flyers first line will make them meaningless in a series at 5v5 and outscore them to boot.

3. The PP. If they get hot the 1st unit can win a series on their own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad