Mar 24, 2017
Which Lauren?
1702186162314.jpeg

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
And even if we forget the #2 center problem (RyJo), our defending is another issue and then you add the bad goaltending this season and wow. You are in a ditch.

The issue isn't just #2 center. It goes much further. We can't defend or save the puck.

Tough spot.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I think the biggest elephant in the room right now is the PP. We're not scoring a lot and the PP is the biggest reason why.

The second biggest elephant is how we play while trailing.Teams are feasting on us when they get any type of lead. Breakdown after breakdown isn't how you win games. Our D is pinching too much while trailing. There's no point in doing that when the game is close on the second. Those types of risky plays should be saved for the last 10 minutes of the 3rd. It doesn't matter who's in net if you're giving up that many odd man rushes.
I will add that the Avs wilt under any team that capably executes a hard forecheck. Torts employed a deep 2-1-2.... sometimes stacked, some times spread with a pinching defenseman. As basic hockey as there is. And they either pinned the Avs in their own zone or picked up the hastily slapped clearing pass in transition.

Flyers knew exactly what to do. Good preparation. Great execution.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I don’t disagree that there are other issues… but the consistent soft goal or two a night is costing points right now. Both goalies have done it. They aren’t my main concern as they’ll level out, but it is compounding things currently.
Yeah. I don't have a solution. And folks usually respond with Kuemper or Gru were worse....... But the Avs do have a goalie problem.

More dangerously, they have a defense problem because no single D-man (including Cale) is consistently good or error free nite in or out........

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah. I don't have a solution. And folks usually respond with Kuemper or Gru were worse....... But the Avs do have a goalie problem.

More specifically, they have a defense problem because no single D-man (including Cale) is consistently good or error free nite in or out........
Yeah I think people just want the current guy to be better. There’s nothing really showing George is better than either of those two.

Agreed there too. The defense is just flat out bad right now. Even when the ice is tilted, they are very error prone.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

More specifically, they have a defense problem because no single D-man (including Cale) is consistently good or error free nite in or out........
Georgiev started well but since then he's been bad. Nowhere near level he could play.
Shame shame.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The team just been inconsistent. 6 game win streak to start the season, then struggled, then won 4 in a row, now struggling again and it’s not one thing. Some games it’s goalie, some games it’s the defense, some games they just can’t score. The roster needs some work. RyJo and Tatar were brought in to fill important roles, neither one has done it. Toews is struggling on the back end, Makar was great but struggled the last few games. Mikko can’t snap out of his struggles.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
And even if we forget the #2 center problem (RyJo), our defending is another issue and then you add the bad goaltending this season and wow. You are in a ditch.

The issue isn't just #2 center. It goes much further. We can't defend or save the puck.

Tough spot.
A credible 2nd line would hide some other deficiencies. But yes there is more to it than get a legit 2C.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
We’re 6th in the NHL.

This team feels like it’s middle of the pack at best.

Makar and MacK are two of the most talented players in the world, and they can carry us even when playing sub-par hockey.

Also our bottom-6 is the hardest working group out there (Colton, Wood, LOC, Cogs, Kivi and Olof I mean)

Imagine if we had a goalie capable of stealing a game? Or a proper 2nd line? We'd be at the top.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Makar and MacK are two of the most talented players in the world, and they can carry us even when playing sub-par hockey.

Also our bottom-6 is the hardest working group out there (Colton, Wood, LOC, Cogs, Kivi and Olof I mean)

Imagine if we had a goalie capable of stealing a game? Or a proper 2nd line? We'd be at the top.
A 2C and a goalie who doesnt allow 4 goals a night would go a long way.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
Now that they won the cup and don't have that hunger, I just don't think the guys want to play in Bednar's try hard high effort system any more. Need a shake up.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Lots of factors to consider. I often think about how for years before this core won the cup that they were referred to as mental midgets. I think there was something unique in terms of character in Forsberg, Sakic and Roy that I just don't see in this core. Landy might be the closest to those guys characterwise and he's unavailable at the moment. When things go bad they tend to shrivel up and wilt under the pressure. Its painfully obvious they are back in the same place and now their goalie is playing below what he established last season. Making it worse it would not surprise that part of Byram's problem is he likely expected to be at least a #2 if not this season then soon and the Toews signing (barring a demotion for play this season) likely blocks him, at least in his mind. Bottom line, they lack talent, again, and its compounded by poor mental fortitude and a collective lack of confidence....

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The Avs main problem is the management is not aggressive. They don’t want to go all in because they want to have draft picks so the next rebuild doesn’t take too long, although it’s probably gonna take long anyway. They seem to be satisfied with one cup win every decade or two. They had two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick, they could have gone all in for this year by trading all those picks, but decided to only trade the 2nd. Like I said, management is not aggressive. They rather retool this roster slowly by keeping 1st round picks and maybe win another cup in 5 years when the right trade comes along like trading for Kadri, than go all in every year trying to win

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Now that they won the cup and don't have that hunger, I just don't think the guys want to play in Bednar's try hard high effort system any more. Need a shake up.
A shake up as in a trade for sure but fire a coach who wants you to play hard no lol.

The Avs main problem is the management is not aggressive. They don’t want to go all in because they want to have draft picks so the next rebuild doesn’t take too long, although it’s probably gonna take long anyway. They seem to be satisfied with one cup win every decade or two. They had two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick, they could have gone all in for this year by trading all those picks, but decided to only trade the 2nd. Like I said, management is not aggressive. They rather retool this roster slowly by keeping 1st round picks and maybe win another cup in 5 years when the right trade comes along like trading for Kadri, than go all in every year trying to win
Yup. Weird because they used to be uber aggressive back in the day.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
A shake up as in a trade for sure but fire a coach who wants you to play hard no lol.

Yup. Weird because they used to be uber aggressive back in the day.
They were aggressive under PL without a salary cap yes, but right now they think they have couple of superstars like MacK, Cale and Mikko and they can just surround them with cheaper players and get away with it. They should realize soon that they need a 2nd line. They probably still believe RyJo and Tatar will turn things around, but I just don’t see it

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Lots of factors to consider. I often think about how for years before this core won the cup that they were referred to as mental midgets. I think there was something unique in terms of character in Forsberg, Sakic and Roy that I just don't see in this core. Landy might be the closest to those guys characterwise and he's unavailable at the moment. When things go bad they tend to shrivel up and wilt under the pressure. Its painfully obvious they are back in the same place and now their goalie is playing below what he established last season. Making it worse it would not surprise that part of Byram's problem is he likely expected to be at least a #2 if not this season then soon and the Toews signing (barring a demotion for play this season) likely blocks him, at least in his mind. Bottom line, they lack talent, again, and its compounded by poor mental fortitude and a collective lack of confidence....

Not really. They were riddled with injuries last year (especially November) and came back to win the division. Bednar may have rode the top guys too hard but still, you don't fight through that if you lack character or are mental midgets. Landeskog was on the team when they won the cup but a lot of other guys were stepping up. Its not like it was only Landeskog. This is a contrivance where you're inventing ghosts.

Also, the core from the glory years had a few disappointments. The Edmonton series immediately comes to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad