Flyers Violate CBA on Travel Issue (subsequently fined by NHL)

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
According to Chris Johnston, the Flyers violated the CBA on their way to Nashville. Maybe the NHL can dock them points like they do in NASCAR

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flyers-violated-cba-by-travelling-on-boxing-day/

The Philadelphia Flyers appear to have violated the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement by travelling during the recent holiday break, Sportsnet has learned.

The team departed for Nashville at 8:24 p.m. ET on Dec. 26, according to their flight log on FlightAware, during what is considered a restricted period for team activity in the CBA.

Article 16.5 (b) in that document states: “December 24, Christmas Day, and December 26 shall be off-days for all purposes, including travel.â€

The Flyers refused comment through a spokesman when asked about the flight. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly did not respond to an email asking whether the team was under investigation.

The league has been busy looking into a number of incidents from Dec. 26 — a day when NHL games were traditionally played until a change was made in the most recent CBA. Under the deal ratified in January 2013, the holiday break was extended to three days.

Members of the Anaheim Ducks, New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers held informal skates on Dec. 26, but those organizations were cleared of any wrongdoing by the league because coaches weren’t on the ice and team officials were found to have played no part in organizing the activities.

Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf took responsibility for the skate in Anaheim and the NHL wrapped up its investigation of that situation on Friday.

“We are satisfied that the team was in compliance with the guidelines and protocol previously provided by the league for ‘off day’ activities,†Daly told the Los Angeles Times.

Philadelphia’s Dec. 26 flight appears to directly contradict the rules.

The NHL sent out a memo in early December reminding teams about the guidelines for the holiday break and there is no evidence that any of the other 12 visitors for games on Dec. 27 travelled early.

Ten of them took flights that morning, departing between 6 a.m. and 9:44 a.m. local time, according to FlightAware. The Devils travelled by bus for their game against the Rangers. San Jose’s flight tracking data isn’t publicly available.

Last edited by a moderator:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Thats good. Not only are we going to finish like 3rd to last place but after we win the lottery our 1st round pick is going to be taken away or something

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Thats good. Not only are we going to finish like 3rd to last place but after we win the lottery our 1st round pick is going to be taken away or something

We're now officially closer to dead last then a playoff spot...don't give up hope, we can be #1!

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Is there anything written that documents the penalties for a violation like this?

A fine, perhaps? Surely there can't be anything related to a draft pick

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I accept the reasonable penalty of every point earned so far this season. Is it a good draft year?

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
There's no excuse for this, especially when the league sent out a notice to all teams. It reeks of incompetence.

I agree, but it's a stupid rule. Broad Street Hockey pointed it out, but their ideology behind the rule is to create an even playing field for all teams. But all it does is give a clear advantage to the home team. If they're going to schedule games on the 27th, they need to amend it to at least allow travel after a specific time, 4pm for example.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
There's no excuse for this, especially when the league sent out a notice to all teams. It reeks of incompetence.

Or maybe as a group the players and staff all preferred to travel on the 26th to be more rested for the game or something and not have to travel the same day as they play. Perhaps they figured the benefit would outweigh whatever pittance of a penalty the league would slap them with.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
I agree, but it's a stupid rule. Broad Street Hockey pointed it out, but their ideology behind the rule is to create an even playing field for all teams. But all it does is give a clear advantage to the home team. If they're going to schedule games on the 27th, they need to amend it to at least allow travel after a specific time, 4pm for example.

I don't think the reasoning for the rule is competition oriented. I think the PA wanted to give the players more than 24 hrs with their families over the holidays.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Comcast gets to give back some of that Disney on Ice gate.

9sw43.jpg

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I hate this rule so much. You aren't allowed to travel on the 24-26, we played until 10pm on the 23rd. There is no way to get to Nashville in time to avoid this 'no travel clause'. The only way to do it would be to travel on game day which is just terribly stupid and as far as I know, no team does it except on this stupid day, so maybe they shouldn't have any games on the 27th because that is just an even bigger advantage for the home team. It will just be a fine, but it shouldn't be anything. I can understand no travel on the 24th and 25th, but the 26th just seems excessive.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Flyers are on the road every year on the 27th. Shouldn't be an issue. They likely violated the rule knowing exactly what they were doing.

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
Im in favor of NHL taking away 10 points!!! But if its a punishment we may end up gaining a few...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad