Flyers trade Mike Richards and Jeff Carter in 2011

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Since making the highly successful trades, the furthest the Flyers have gone is the second round, which happened once, and that was in 2012 when they got ousted in 5 games against the Devils. Since then, the Flyers have been through three different head coaches, missed the playoffs four times, and have been eliminated in the first round three times.

So yeah, the Flyers clearly made the right call and have been the model for success since their last successful playoff run.

Meanwhile with Carter and Richards they went to a conference final and the cup final, only missed the playoffs once.

Randy Marsh

Aug 20, 2012
Why wouldn't you care about the two cups? I mean, if you don't like the sport, I'll concede it's insignificant in the grand scheme of things. But if you're posting on a History of Hockey forum... how are the two cups not relevant? Isn't the goal of this whole here sport to win the Stanley Cup?

It was a win-win deal. They happen. I don't understand the constant need for certain Flyer fans to act as though the Kings lost the deal. An "awful" trade. . . really now? Schenn was years away from being useful on a contender, but yes, Simmonds was and is an excellent player. Was sad to see him go. Richards was instrumental in the 2012 playoffs, particularly in getting by Vancouver, but he was also super underrated in the 2014 run.

Unless you're posting in character with your username, that's just a laughably bad take on how things went down.

The only thing that is "laughably bad" is how you deliberately took my quote out of context. You can't intentionally skip words in the middle of a sentence when quoting someone. I phrased it EXACTLY that way for a reason.

The Flyers were looking at 9 more years of Mike Richards, who was already starting to break down physically. This was compounded by the fact that he openly bragged about not working out. Combine this with rumors about his off-ice issues and a growing rift with Laviolette and Pronger and you have the makings of a disgruntled captain. Now add the fact that they traded his best friend on the team.

Yes, the Kings got a great deal in the short term. There is no denying that. My point is that Richards winning 2 cups as a 3rd line center does not mean the Flyers were wrong in trading him. By 2015, he was banged up and unproductive. Thr next year, the Kings couldnt wait to get rid of him with 4 (5?) years left on his contract at a 5m cap hit.

Schenn and Simmons were both productive immediately, although Schenn definitely underachieved as a Flyer due to his low hockey IQ.

Last edited:

Randy Marsh

Aug 20, 2012
Since making the highly successful trades, the furthest the Flyers have gone is the second round, which happened once, and that was in 2012 when they got ousted in 5 games against the Devils. Since then, the Flyers have been through three different head coaches, missed the playoffs four times, and have been eliminated in the first round three times.

So yeah, the Flyers clearly made the right call and have been the model for success since their last successful playoff run.

Absolutely none of that has to do with Pronger getting permanently hurt 3 months into that first seasom, Briere and Timonen getting old, Bryzgalov being a flake, Bobrovsky being traded to appease Bryzgalov's ego and Holmgren getting his offer sheet for Shea Weber matched.

All Carter and Richards being traded.

Reactions: sigma six

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Absolutely none of that has to do with Pronger getting permanently hurt 3 months into that first seasom, Briere and Timonen getting old, Bryzgalov being a flake, Bobrovsky being traded to appease Bryzgalov's ego and Holmgren getting his offer sheet for Shea Weber matched.

All Carter and Richards being traded.

Seems like a laundry list of excuses for shitty management. The Flyers clearly came out as winners, still riding on the successes of those trades.

Randy Marsh

Aug 20, 2012
Seems like a laundry list of excuses for ****ty management. The Flyers clearly came out as winners, still riding on the successes of those trades.

I couldnt tell if you were being sarcastic before.

If you weren't, then, yes, this is the reason the Flyers fell off after the trades.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
In addition to some of the "OCC stuff" (which is mostly true), a main reason that Mike Richards was traded was because he constantly complained about doing charity work at the request of Ed Snider. Knowing that Snider would lose his mind if he found out, Richards was insulated for a while and warned behind-the-scenes. Once Snider found out that his captain was irritated with these requests, Richards was gone.

And, I will say this, without elaborating further. About 2 weeks before the trade, Holmgren had a heart to heart, badges off conversation with Richards about many things and Richards pretty much dismissed him.

Richards, while talented, lost his way. He was a child who was not professional and could not deal with the media. Once the money, women, big city life got to him, he was finished, unfortunately.

Reactions: InAbsensia

Randy Marsh

Aug 20, 2012
In addition to some of the "OCC stuff" (which is mostly true), a main reason that Mike Richards was traded was because he constantly complained about doing charity work at the request of Ed Snider. Knowing that Snider would lose his mind if he found out, Richards was insulated for a while and warned behind-the-scenes. Once Snider found out that his captain was irritated with these requests, Richards was gone.

And, I will say this, without elaborating further. About 2 weeks before the trade, Holmgren had a heart to heart, badges off conversation with Richards about many things and Richards pretty much dismissed him.

Richards, while talented, lost his way. He was a child who was not professional and could not deal with the media. Once the money, women, big city life got to him, he was finished, unfortunately.

I remember Eskin reporting this but I couldnt find a link to confirm. Anyone who knows anything about Ed Snider knew how much charity mattered to him. The stuff he did for inner city Philadelphia was unbelievable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad