Flyers trade Mike Richards and Jeff Carter in 2011

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Cultural reasons.

There are rumors over Richards' partying and Carter's involvement with teammates' wives, whether or not they're true, the franchise needed a big change at that point because things were getting ugly. That core which brought them to a finals in 2010 was at its end.

Reactions: Sentinel

Randy Marsh

Aug 20, 2012
One of them (I think Carter) also didn't have his NMC kick in until the following year. They were both signed for 10 years, so it was now or never at that point.

Reactions: billybudd

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
The was a thing called the "OCC", which stood for the Olde City Crew. It was Ben Eager, Scott Hartnell, Dan Carcillo, Jeff Carter & Mike Richards. They drank and partied in and around an area of Philly called Olde City. They also partied in the South Jersey Shore town of Stone Harbor. They would crash parties on the campus of Temple, Villanova University. The drinking and injures really started to add up, especially with Mike Richards , who reportedly had a pain pill problem from his shoulder injures. It came to a head during one of the All Star breaks when Richards went to Costa Rica to get some pain pills. Ed Snider was beyond angry and he ordered the trading of both Carter & Richards.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Why did the Flyers trade Mike Richards and Jeff Carter?

In the future, can you please include enough information in the thread title to make the topic evident before people enter?

(I've already edited this title in a fashion consistent with this request.)

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
I'm just thankful they happened. We'd likely be talking about a Hawks dynasty otherwise, with at least one extra cup for Chicago.

I certainly had reservations about the Carter trade initially. I was happy to be proven wrong emphatically. He's turned into one of my all-time favourite Kings players. His 16-17 under an offensively-stifling Sutter system, with the team crumbling around him, was something special.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The was a thing called the "OCC", which stood for the Olde City Crew. It was Ben Eager, Scott Hartnell, Dan Carcillo, Jeff Carter & Mike Richards. They drank and partied in and around an area of Philly called Olde City. They also partied in the South Jersey Shore town of Stone Harbor. They would crash parties on the campus of Temple, Villanova University. The drinking and injures really started to add up, especially with Mike Richards , who reportedly had a pain pill problem from his shoulder injures. It came to a head during one of the All Star breaks when Richards went to Costa Rica to get some pain pills. Ed Snider was beyond angry and he ordered the trading of both Carter & Richards.
As a Villanova alum, I take issue with the notion that there were ever parties on Villanova's campus

Reactions: aemoreira1981

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Why did the Flyers trade Mike Richards and Jeff Carter?

Because they were a part of the OCC "Ole City Crew":

Mike Richards
Jeff Carter
Scottie Upshall
Scott Hartnell
Jeoffrey Lupul

Flyers traded away the others (except Hartnell) and the message still didn't get across; as Chris Pronger in the Philly locker-room said along the lines of "You can party all season long or try and win the Cup; you can't do both"

Randy Marsh

Aug 20, 2012
There were rumblings on Philly sports radio that Richards and Laviolette weren't even talking in 2011 and that there was a major rift between him and Pronger.

There was also an incident where he missed a practice during the postseason where the team said he was sick only after the fact. He was starting to get snippy with reporters and I remember joking that he was trying to get himself traded. Little did we know...

Carter did not want to be traded. Not by a long shot.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
usually anytime you trade two players who aren’t superstars in 1-for-2 futures trades and all four futures hit (and i mean really hit—a point/game winger, a selke finalist, a whatever unicorn wayne simmons is, and the worst piece is annual 25 goal scorer brayden schenn) you should win the trade. especially when you still had a hart contender at the same position as the two guys you traded away.

but damn, because carter was a giant baby, LA managed to get both guys for a combined price of simmons, schenn, jack johnson, and a very very late 1st that became marko dano. talk about karma taking a day off.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
They weren't bad trades, either. When big name guys get traded out of the blue for character reason the assumption is you got fleeced but the Flyers came away pretty well. Carter returned Voracek and Couturier, Richards returned Simmonds and B. Schenn.

Randy Marsh

Aug 20, 2012
And as mentioned before, Richards had 9-10 years left on the extension he signed. The Flyers realized they had a very small window where they could get something useful back for him and they did. If they had waited even a year, they would have had a hard time dealing him.

Everything that happened with Richards in LA proved they made the right call. I dont care that the Kings won 2 cups with him, as this was an awful trade for them long-term.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Cultural reasons.

There are rumors over Richards' partying and Carter's involvement with teammates' wives, whether or not they're true, the franchise needed a big change at that point because things were getting ugly. That core which brought them to a finals in 2010 was at its end.

The rumors about Hartnell's then wife and Carter weren't true.

Reactions: billybudd

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
usually anytime you trade two players who aren’t superstars in 1-for-2 futures trades and all four futures hit (and i mean really hit—a point/game winger, a selke finalist, a whatever unicorn wayne simmons is, and the worst piece is annual 25 goal scorer brayden schenn) you should win the trade. especially when you still had a hart contender at the same position as the two guys you traded away.

but damn, because carter was a giant baby, LA managed to get both guys for a combined price of simmons, schenn, jack johnson, and a very very late 1st that became marko dano. talk about karma taking a day off.

Carter was held up in his Stone Harbor beach house like he was some kind of hostage.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Oh yeah, also definitely worth noting that Giroux at that point was seen by the organization a burgeoning superstar at centre who was being blocked from more ice time/his proper position because of Carter and Richards.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Everything that happened with Richards in LA proved they made the right call. I dont care that the Kings won 2 cups with him, as this was an awful trade for them long-term.

Why wouldn't you care about the two cups? I mean, if you don't like the sport, I'll concede it's insignificant in the grand scheme of things. But if you're posting on a History of Hockey forum... how are the two cups not relevant? Isn't the goal of this whole here sport to win the Stanley Cup?

It was a win-win deal. They happen. I don't understand the constant need for certain Flyer fans to act as though the Kings lost the deal. An "awful" trade. . . really now? Schenn was years away from being useful on a contender, but yes, Simmonds was and is an excellent player. Was sad to see him go. Richards was instrumental in the 2012 playoffs, particularly in getting by Vancouver, but he was also super underrated in the 2014 run.

Unless you're posting in character with your username, that's just a laughably bad take on how things went down.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Since making the highly successful trades, the furthest the Flyers have gone is the second round, which happened once, and that was in 2012 when they got ousted in 5 games against the Devils. Since then, the Flyers have been through three different head coaches, missed the playoffs four times, and have been eliminated in the first round three times.

So yeah, the Flyers clearly made the right call and have been the model for success since their last successful playoff run.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Aside from the supposed off-ice issues, the Flyers were also trying to make room for Bryzgalov’s contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad