Confirmed with Link: Flyers Trade Jakub Voracek To Columbus For Cam Atkinson

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Jake and Ghost were sacrificed for AV, or at his demand. But getting read of player(s) for coaching sake only works if that coach has a sound and robust system and the player(s) are either do not fit said system or just disgruntled employees.
In AV's case- it's just chairs on Titanic's deck. No personnel change can hide the fact any longer that AV has hit an iceberg and is taking on water.
Fletcher deserves way more blame for the deck chair shuffling. He's the one that shipped out significant draft capital AND took on longer-term salary obligation AND at the same time acquired an expensive and controversial rental, all with the aim of sleight-of-handing the fans back into the arena to pay for it all. And has no AHL team to boot.

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
With HD TV and improved cameras, when I finally get my big ole OLED TV, I'll have a better view than I can get at any game, plus the ability to stop action, rewind, and take bathroom breaks. And the fridge has cold beer in bottles.

I think this will drive teams toward building smaller stadiums with a more intimate feel, like movie theaters, you have to provide a unique experience, not just a hard seat with a so-so view.

I've never been more convinced that I found Ken M in a forum before. Holy shit this is hilarious.

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
If the Flyers aren't contenders, Voracek and JVR were goners in any case. Too old and too expensive.
G is more complicated, not only is he playing at a high level, but he's the kind of mentor you'd want for a young team.

Atkinson is also too expensive, but the fact that he's an excellent PK guy and as a sniper can work with multiple centers makes it easier to move him down the lineup and to trade him with money retained (i.e. at 3x3M, lots of teams would see him as a 3RW).

Good ol Ken M over here

5-5c9b49b21c9dd__700.jpg

Irwin

Jul 27, 2016
Helsinki
voracek has "Ecken und Kanten" we would say in Germany. In english i would say he has rough edges. The franchise dont want players like that. So they got Thompson, ATki, Brassi and all the other useless id players!°

It's funny really.

On the other hand people glamour and long for personalities to the sport like JR, Chelios and others were in the 90s, yet brass and media immediately cancel anybody who is a bit outspoken or wants to show personality.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In Philly, you can have personality as long as you have "grit."
Kelce is a perfect example.
Embiid is far more lovable since he got serious about getting into shape and playing hard.
No one resents Harper's contract b/c he plays hard and delivers.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I don't think trading Voracek was about Voracek in particular. After last season some of the older core players had to go for a fresh start.
Unfortunately, this season we've seen that the old core wasn't the only issue.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Let's not forget that Voracek would have suppressed numbers, just like the rest of the team, if he was still here playing in AV's garbage system on Therrien's comical powerplay.
He's definitely benefiting from a better PP in Columbus. He has 10 PP points. That's almost the production or our entire 1st unit combined lol.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wrong.

We saw that the old core wasn't an issue at all. Which anyone who was paying attention already knew.

The suggestion that we "had to" to trade the core players or we needed a "shakeup" was never a logical argument. It was people being too lazy to properly evaluate the team and just wanting change for the sake of change.

Meanwhile, none of the real problems got addressed. That's why this year is so much worse than last year and all the "problems" are now thriving elsewhere.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The old core was an issue b/c it was "old."

That is, it was time to start moving on, when Berube goes on to win a Cup, when Hakstol is turning a terrible team around, at some point it can't be all on the coaches - I mean when players move on and play better, we blame the coaches, so if coaches move on and coach better, should we blame the players?

Voracek was only really effective in Philly on the first line, same with TK.
2018-2021
Voracek with G & C, CF 55.61%, xGF 53.76%
Voracek w/o them: CF 45.72%, xGF 45.34%
G & C w/0 Voracek: CF 58.74%, xGF 57.13%
Couts w/0 G & V: CF 53.09%, xGF 50.13%
G w/0 C &V: CF 48.52%, xGF 47.80%

TK with G&C, CF 60.18, xGF 55.47%
TK w/0 them: CF 47.93%, xGF 48.59%
G & C w/o TK: CF 55.74%, xGF 55.87%
Couts w/o G & TK: CF 51.08%, xGF 51.00%
G w/0 Couts & TK: CF 48.11%, xGF 48.81%

Couts is the straw that stirs the drink, while Voracek and TK were basically interchangeable.
So it made sense to move the 32 year old forward making $8.25M.
Atkinson, CF 46.09%, xGF 42.70%, but dragged down by a hole at center.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
trading Jake wasn't really a problem..it was really like they did nothing else really legit aside from exchanging him for a "shooter" in Cam and trading for Ellis..in the end it was still overall the same core with a few new shiny pieces..i don't count Risto, because aside from giving out a 1st and like they are candy..it was a wash of a move

all and all..Chuck screwed the pooch

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Embiid is far more lovable since he got serious about getting into shape and playing hard.

yup no doubt

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Kind of a loaded thought process. In sports (in any city), being gritty without being stupid will *always* make you well-liked. Shows effort and determination, universally adored traits.

Those guys above are all loved because they're really, really good (and them being gritty helps). Embiid plays through injury, but I wouldn't really call him gritty. I remember fans loved him his first year on the court though when he was dancing with cheerleaders and stuff - so he's kind of always been liked here once he hit the court finally.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No one had more "personality" than Charles Barkley, but he personified "grit."
Iverson was more complex, fearless on the court, a flake off the court.
Dawkins was loved as much for his grit as his talent.
Duce wasn't as talented as Ricky Watters, but far more gritty.

Bobby Clarke was the essence of "grit."

Reactions: IronMarshal

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
No one had more "personality" than Charles Barkley, but he personified "grit."
Iverson was more complex, fearless on the court, a flake off the court.
Dawkins was loved as much for his grit as his talent.
Duce wasn't as talented as Ricky Watters, but far more gritty.

Bobby Clarke was the essence of "grit."
wtf does any of this even mean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad