Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Cutter Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Gauthier was a problem for the Flyers that they were lucky to dodge. With what the team has at wing for the top two lines, there is no one that he displaces. I can’t see a guy with his sense of entitlement being a happy camper on this current roster. Then Tortorella would have chewed on him for his defensive deficiencies and it would have got ugly fast for Gauthier here.
Gauthier is a natural top 6 LW and the only one the Flyers have is Farabee.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
200_d.gif

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Gauthier is a natural top 6 LW and the only one the Flyers have is Farabee.
IMO, Farabee, TK, Tippett, Forester and possibly even Brink would be ahead of Gauthier. Gauthier doesn’t seem to be a game mover and his defense isn’t stellar. It’s probably why Celebrini won the Hobey Baker and he didn’t. He may not believe it but he has a lot to learn in order to excel in the National.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
There seems some downplaying of Cutter's skills because people are upset at how all this went down. The guy has a bit of an ego and I'm sure that rubs most NHL fans the wrong way.

I won't be the least bit surprised if this ends up being a terrible trade for the Flyers.

Reactions: Shrike and kudymen

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
There seems some downplaying of Cutter's skills because people are upset at how all this went down. The guy has a bit of an ego and I'm sure that rubs most NHL fans the wrong way.

I won't be the least bit surprised if this ends up being a terrible trade for the Flyers.
The only way it becomes "terrible" is if Drysdale's injuries are a trend rather than an anomaly. If he's healthy, Gauthier would have to be a perennial first-team all-star to make me feel the Flyers blew that trade, particularly considering the circumstances as they went down between March 2023 and the trade. Even then, unless there's some information that comes out to the contrary, I have a hard time faulting the Briere regime for how they handled him considering how Gauthier handled the Flyers. Going silent then not addressing why you did that (when you seem to have a propensity to like to talk) seems like grade-school stuff.

I do agree with you that nay-saying of Gauthier's skills feels like denial. Then again, it's not as though Gauthier doesn't have some warts. Will he stick at center, are the issues expressed through the silent treatment thing then pre-finals trash talk a trend or an anomaly? He's not Michkov when it comes to projection of his ceiling, as one example.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Didn't see it mentioned but Briere confirmed Drysdale needs a core surgery. Kind of sounds like a sports hernia or something, which can be any degree of messy, but I'm just guessing. He missed most of 2 months with the Ducks due to a lower body injury. Based on Briere calling it a season-long injury, it's likely the same injury.

Been about as clear as I can be with seeing it as a mulligan season. But he needs to make exponential improvement next year beyond the physical stuff.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019

Didn't see it mentioned but Briere confirmed Drysdale needs a core surgery. Kind of sounds like a sports hernia or something, which can be any degree of messy, but I'm just guessing. He missed most of 2 months with the Ducks due to a lower body injury. Based on Briere calling it a season-long injury, it's likely the same injury.

Been about as clear as I can be with seeing it as a mulligan season. But he needs to make exponential improvement next year beyond the physical stuff.

Don’t the Flyers medical always screw up core injuries?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Read the WJC thread from when he was still a Flyer prospect. There was plenty of talk of pumping the brakes on his ceiling. We have been dissecting his game for a few years because there are things he needs to change or his goal scoring wont translate.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Read the WJC thread from when he was still a Flyer prospect. There was plenty of talk of pumping the brakes on his ceiling. We have been dissecting his game for a few years because there are things he needs to change or his goal scoring wont translate.

Yeah lol. It was Alex Garland's Civil War discussing him before the trade.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
He looked very good last night. I see a 40-40 guy. And a wasted great pick by the flyers. I know most of the board laughed at this pick. And continued to, until he became a duck. He’s a real deal player in my opinion.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So you think he can score 40 goals?

Noooo. Maybe his college/junior career.

I do think 40 is attainable at his peak with a good Center, functioning Powerplay, and if he starts shooting from below the tops of the circles more. His shot is undeniably excellent.

Reactions: VladDrag

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Come on Striiker. You should know that plenty of morons have been great players in all sports.
Right, but this one-trick-pony's one trick is shooting and he's too dumb to take full advantage of it.

He'll be a brainless turret and it'll be enough to keep him in the NHL, but he won't become a legit star to match the ridiculous hype.

Reactions: renberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad