Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Cutter Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
bottom line to me is they should have waited it out longer until he season was over. Then see if any change of mind or what not.

They wanted a player already in the NHL to help "solidify" that playoff push. IMO they didn't want prospects/picks.
They should have signed cutter to begin with. All the other mistakes have cumulated over time. Also typically team that gets best player in a trade wins. And with flyers I don't even know what was the last slam dunk of a trade tbh.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
That’s kind of what I am asking. Was Drysdale more creative with the Ducks and before? I thought he’d be a Mike Green type. Jump in as a 4th forward and be able to skate back if needed.
I only remember Drysdale from Team Canada at WJCs. He was never that dynamic offensive guy. He's really more like a RHS Cam York: a smallish, good skating Dman who moves the puck up well, joins the rush and has decent offensive instincts. Key for both of them is being able to use their fast feet to defend and not let their lack of size hurt them in defending against bigger forwards.

I'd rather have Drysdale than Byram, because of the 'next concussion could be it' thing. Briere could never risk that. Drysdale will fill out some more and get stronger, hopefully they can keep his shoulders together.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I only remember Drysdale from Team Canada at WJCs. He was never that dynamic offensive guy. He's really more like a RHS Cam York: a smallish, good skating Dman who moves the puck up well, joins the rush and has decent offensive instincts. Key for both of them is being able to use their fast feet to defend and not let their lack of size hurt them in defending against bigger forwards.

I'd rather have Drysdale than Byram, because of the 'next concussion could be it' thing. Briere could never risk that. Drysdale will fill out some more and get stronger, hopefully they can keep his shoulders together.
Thanks. I only was aware of his hype and injury but never saw him play. That’s a little disappointing. I think when trading a prospect like Cutter you should at least be getting a 1D potential player. It not like the ducks don’t have that.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Thanks. I only was aware of his hype and injury but never saw him play. That’s a little disappointing. I think when trading a prospect like Cutter you should at least be getting a 1D potential player. It not like the ducks don’t have that.
Yeah, and I am only going on dim memories from how many years ago. As noted by others, Bob Murray drafted him when he was Ducks' GM. We don't know what leverage Briere had to get a better deal from Verbeek or anyone else. They got a promising young Dman who needs some breaks and some filling out, and what should be a very high second pick next year, We'll see.

Reactions: renberg

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I'm not ready to write off Drysdale as a bust. He just turned 22 and has missed substantial time due to injuries. He's cited as being 5'11"/183#. That's not bad size. Maker is 5'11"/187# and I don't hear people complaining about him.
Drysdale doesn't have a great shot but he can skate and move the puck. If you want a Pronger or a Hedman, Drysdale is not your guy. However he could end up being a Desjardins which I'd take in a minute. Let's give him time to mature into the NHL game; work with Shaw and then see what he is. At worst he should end up being a second pair RHD which isn't bad to have.

Reactions: Larry44

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm not ready to write off Drysdale as a bust. He just turned 22 and has missed substantial time due to injuries. He's cited as being 5'11"/183#. That's not bad size. Maker is 5'11"/187# and I don't hear people complaining about him.
Drysdale doesn't have a great shot but he can skate and move the puck. If you want a Pronger or a Hedman, Drysdale is not your guy. However he could end up being a Desjardins which I'd take in a minute. Let's give him time to mature into the NHL game; work with Shaw and then see what he is. At worst he should end up being a second pair RHD which isn't bad to have.

I'm unhappy with the way he's trended post-trade. But I have more disdain for Eakins than just about any other coach so that's gonna buy him a lot of time from me.

Reactions: kudymen and Larry44

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

I remember Cam York being compared to Cam Fowler in the 2019 NHL draft, York being a local kid growing up a Ducks fan in orange county he probably looked up to Fowler. Drysdale was compared to Fowler in his draft year, a RS version of him. Fowler was dynamic offensively in the first year when he was rushed to the NHL by our former GM Bob Murray who's now an advisor with the Flyers front office. After Fowler got roughed up and injured a few times he started to play a 'safer' game and they molded him to be better 2way player and he turned into a reliable 2nd pair guy who can eat minutes if needed and produce around 40 points a year. I think Drysdale is capable of being a 40+ point a year minute eater, he's already less soft than Fowler, he was willing to throw hits around in Anaheim which Fowler never has done.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Yes he has a weak shot but is a good passer. Definitely don’t think he’s a bust. Just looks to be second pair

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
Yeah, and I am only going on dim memories from how many years ago. As noted by others, Bob Murray drafted him when he was Ducks' GM. We don't know what leverage Briere had to get a better deal from Verbeek or anyone else. They got a promising young Dman who needs some breaks and some filling out, and what should be a very high second pick next year, We'll see.

It feels strange to see some of the names of former players in their post-career roles. Bob Murray was a very good offensive D-Man for Chicago, and Pat Verbeek was a feisty goal scorer, who potted over 500 of them. Inge Hammerstrom, Joel Quenneville, Ron Francis...I remember when they all came into the league. They have also been long retired, so it is weird seeing their names still being bandied about.

Reactions: Larry44

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I'm unhappy with the way he's trended post-trade. But I have more disdain for Eakins than just about any other coach so that's gonna buy him a lot of time from me.
There was chatter from the coaching staff that Drysdale was going to be in for a period of adjustment coming over to the Flyers since Anaheim played a much different style of defense. I think it had to do with zone versus man to man.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I remember Cam York being compared to Cam Fowler in the 2019 NHL draft, York being a local kid growing up a Ducks fan in orange county he probably looked up to Fowler. Drysdale was compared to Fowler in his draft year, a RS version of him. Fowler was dynamic offensively in the first year when he was rushed to the NHL by our former GM Bob Murray who's now an advisor with the Flyers front office. After Fowler got roughed up and injured a few times he started to play a 'safer' game and they molded him to be better 2way player and he turned into a reliable 2nd pair guy who can eat minutes if needed and produce around 40 points a year. I think Drysdale is capable of being a 40+ point a year minute eater, he's already less soft than Fowler, he was willing to throw hits around in Anaheim which Fowler never has done.

It just seems more and more that Drysdale will be comparable to Matt Carle...

• Wow
Reactions: orangey

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There was chatter from the coaching staff that Drysdale was going to be in for a period of adjustment coming over to the Flyers since Anaheim played a much different style of defense. I think it had to do with zone versus man to man.

I mean you can even completely forget about style, and just focus on the fact that Eakins is a less competent version of AV. His dmen run with zero forward support. Dropping right into that from the start would be a massive shock to confidence and decision making. Some serious hurdles need hurdling.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Drysdale is big enough to play, for sure, but if you're a smaller dman at 5'10" or 5'11" you will be at a disadvantage against bigger, stronger forwards with longer reach, so speed is a factor too. You need to keep positioning and that can take longer for some young offensive minded Dmen to master. You need a mix and like smaller forwards, if you are fast it helps. Slow small Fs and Ds don't usually make it at the NHL level unless they are really smart positionally and stocky strong like Kimmo Timonen and, I hope, Emil Andrae.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
ED9fRp8.gif

I put Drysdale's size one below injuries way down in my concern list. He's stocky and isn't afraid to initiate -- it's a big whatever for me. His defensive lapses come down to technique and positioning.

His offense being the issue is sort of the important part for the value at which Briere acquired him. @FLYguy3911 would tell you he lacked elite offensive instincts even in his draft year. Then that player is rushed to the worst coached team in hockey. Then plays 41/164 games the last 2 years. Then the initial glimmers of skill here devolved into passive, stationary turret-ing. He has raw talent and visually looks more dynamic on the PP than York, but his progression needs to come exponentially, not linearly, at this stage.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
But if it’s 50+ tricks a year the ducks will be happy.

He could have a chance at that if he simply changes his whole game.

I mean, maybe he does! But as it stands now, his ceiling looks like 30. He's not going to overpower NHL goalies from the top of the circles like he can in college.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Just watched the Final and after catching a few other games, it is obvious Cutter is not a play driver. He totally relies on others to get his shot outside of the random break.

A few highly respected posters questioned his game transitioning and I can see it.

Dude had little to no impact in the last game of his college career. Especially with that freshman line taking the grunt, I feel better with the trade. I always liked Drysdale and hope he steps up.

Reactions: Larry44 and renberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad