Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Cutter Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Just watched the Final and after catching a few other games, it is obvious Cutter is not a play driver. He totally relies on others to get his shot outside of the random break.

A few highly respected posters questioned his game transitioning and I can see it.

Dude had little to no impact in the last game of his college career. Especially with that freshman line taking the grunt, I feel better with the trade. I always liked Drysdale and hope he steps up.
You underestimate the "clutch" gene at your peril...

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Just watched the Final and after catching a few other games, it is obvious Cutter is not a play driver. He totally relies on others to get his shot outside of the random break.

A few highly respected posters questioned his game transitioning and I can see it.

Dude had little to no impact in the last game of his college career. Especially with that freshman line taking the grunt, I feel better with the trade. I always liked Drysdale and hope he steps up.
But how nice would Perreault be instead of Bonk?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Gauthier would have had to play 10 games last year to burn a year, since he wouldn’t be 20 in his signing year. I think that part gets forgotten. It wasn’t only 1 game, even if the Flyers had enough games remaining.

Also, Brindley is a beaut, and I would’ve been happy with him over Bonk too. Lot of talent in that late 1st-early 2nd! I really feel like Columbus could take steps with competent management. Not that it will happen.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Someday, maybe after Cutter has achieved everything he wants, maybe he'll reveal the big secret of why he felt the Flyers were a bad fit. He wants to keep it to himself and family right now.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
who the f*** cares about a guy with the name Cutter who isn't even here any more lol Philly fans(in all sports) are weird like that

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Plenty of reporting on the subject. You’re not going to get a direct quote that would just add fuel to the fire directed at a 20 year old by loser Philly fans.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
It doesn't feel like Torts, or Briere, or Keith Jones to promise anyone games in the NHL. You earn them. The fact he would have HAD to play games and been guaranteed ice to burn the year, is what I believe they wouldn't promise.

Obviously there is another scenario where they didn't want him around the team at the end of last year because the room was in a bad place, but that seems like an incredible oversight.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The forwards that played in the last 10 games were not great. It should have been easy to get him 10 games. Briere miscalculated in his first month on the job. Not hard to see how it happened.

Reactions: TLEH and BillDineen

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The forwards that played in the last 10 games were not great. It should have been easy to get him 10 games. Briere miscalculated in his first month on the job. Not hard to see how it happened.

If this is what Cutter needed to not be a total prat, then it isn't Briere/Jones' fault IMO.

Cutter sucks and I'm fine with that logic.

Reactions: dats81 and Larry44

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I would bet Flyers wanted him right have another year at center before turning pri and it backfired

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Plenty of reporting on the subject. You’re not going to get a direct quote that would just add fuel to the fire directed at a 20 year old by loser Philly fans.
so you mean nothing.

it's all the white knights, assuming on Cutter's behalf, that he could not bear being subjected to another year not burned off his ELC, when he was so clearly meriting that?

is that your line of reasoning?

why on earth would he be hesitant to simply say that? it is completely reasonable...why does saying it give him so much pause?

Reactions: Rebels57

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
My hunch is they thought the locker room was toxic, with the dying embers of Fletcher’s cultural revolution, and didn’t want Gauthier to be submerged in that. Is that moronic for a 10 game sample that will be a blur? Yes, assuredly.

I’m not absolving the Flyers for also being inept because lord knows an unhealthy chunk of my life is dedicated to that topic, but there’s no explanation where Gauthier doesn’t come across as being irrationally arrogant too. Offense was taken at other things besides his ELC, like the notion of AHL time (which was reported).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It doesn't feel like Torts, or Briere, or Keith Jones to promise anyone games in the NHL. You earn them. The fact he would have HAD to play games and been guaranteed ice to burn the year, is what I believe they wouldn't promise.

Obviously there is another scenario where they didn't want him around the team at the end of last year because the room was in a bad place, but that seems like an incredible oversight.

Seeing Nazar, Brindley and others signed with teams willing to burn year off ELC for a handful of games shows that Torts/Briere/Jones are out of touch with today's NHL thinking.

I would add there is no good reason not to sign a prospect in this situation. Take Chicago for instance the organization is happy to give Nazar a few games and telling him he would have every chance to make roster next year in camp if he signed because at end of day it gives Hawks control of his development going forward not depending on Michigan for that development. And as seen in Michigan the coach didn't give Nazar PP time and other things that Hawks probably weren't thrilled about

At end of day there really shouldn't be concern about burning a year off ELC for a top prospect. Its good for both sides in end to get kid under contract as kid gets some NHL games and a little bit of $ upfront (Signing bonus + a few NHL game checks) while organization gets control of his development.

Its win-win IMO

If it's true Cutter wanted to go pro but Flyers turned him down, I can understand why issues developed between player/organization.

Reactions: Larry44

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Multiple players on the roster get lots of playing time they didn't earn. Every second Atkinson plays is a blasphemy to the sport.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
so you mean nothing.

it's all the white knights, assuming on Cutter's behalf, that he could not bear being subjected to another year not burned off his ELC, when he was so clearly meriting that?

is that your line of reasoning?

why on earth would he be hesitant to simply say that? it is completely reasonable...why does saying it give him so much pause?

I've lost track of how many sources with inside info have said "he wanted to play and the Flyers said no" is a main reason.

Reactions: TLEH

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
My hunch is they thought the locker room was toxic, with the dying embers of Fletcher’s cultural revolution, and didn’t want Gauthier to be submerged in that. Is that moronic for a 10 game sample that will be a blur? Yes, assuredly.

I’m not absolving the Flyers for also being inept because lord knows an unhealthy chunk of my life is dedicated to that topic, but there’s no explanation where Gauthier doesn’t come across as being irrationally arrogant too. Offense was taken at other things besides his ELC, like the notion of AHL time (which was reported).
I'll buy some of that, as it invokes Cutter's own responsibility.

I've lost track of how many sources with inside info have said "he wanted to play and the Flyers said no" is a main reason.
I have not lost track of how many times Cutter has simply not said what seems to be obvious to everyone. Zero times. Why is anyone's guess.

And a plea to insider info? Hm. That's news to me, insider info now wins.

Reactions: Larry44

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'll buy some of that, as it invokes Cutter's own responsibility.

I have not lost track of how many times Cutter has simply not said what seems to be obvious to everyone. Zero times. Why is anyone's guess.

And a plea to insider info? Hm. That's news to me, insider info now wins.

Players speak through insiders. That's how almost all sports works.

Reactions: TLEH

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
OK. so Cutter never has to actually say why he spurned the Flyers. the insiders speak his truth for him. which was nothing. got it.

Yes that's how sports work. Active players who wish to get out their side of a story, or members of their camp, speak to a media source they trust and that media source puts it out there. This is basic stuff that's gone on for generations.

The sources with those contacts have not said "it is nothing." They have indicated what it was. Lack of contract.

Reactions: Curufinwe

smokey

Oct 24, 2016
Helsinki
Being one of the only teams with a scout in Russia and pulling no stops in trying to lure MM to Philly, they're clearly ready to invest in a player they think will be a diff maker. Problem is the Flyers apparently still don't seem to realize just how much they need to bend over backwards to get a player from the NCAA to sign with them, esp since the college guys can just say no thanks until a Boston or NYR come knocking.

I know, f*** Cutter and what he thinks of himself, but they always needed to stroke that ego for the Flyers to have any chance of landing him. The arrogance goes both ways here. Clearly they didn't think Cutter was/is the diff maker Michkov appears to them or they think Philly is a dream destination for top prospects, which it clearly isn't.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Gauthier was a problem for the Flyers that they were lucky to dodge. With what the team has at wing for the top two lines, there is no one that he displaces. I can’t see a guy with his sense of entitlement being a happy camper on this current roster. Then Tortorella would have chewed on him for his defensive deficiencies and it would have got ugly fast for Gauthier here.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Gauthier was a problem for the Flyers that they were lucky to dodge. With what the team has at wing for the top two lines, there is no one that he displaces. I can’t see a guy with his sense of entitlement being a happy camper on this current roster. Then Tortorella would have chewed on him for his defensive deficiencies and it would have got ugly fast for Gauthier here.

I thought the positive side was that losing him would shock him into realizing that they aren't anywhere close to contending, and that they will have to actually do a rebuild. Then they sold almost nothing at the deadline and actually bought. Amazing stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad