Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign UFA defenseman Christian Marti of Genève-Servette HC (Swiss NLA)

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Nice, it's good seeing the name behind these signings. I was just reading an article behind Hakan Andersson, the Red Wings' scout responsible for so many of their successful lower round Swedish picks and Datsyuk, the other day and thought how nice it'd be to have someone like that in our organization, as well. Does anyone know how long Sinisalo has been scouting for the Flyers?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Nice, it's good seeing the name behind these signings. I was just reading an article behind Hakan Andersson, the Red Wings' scout responsible for so many of their successful lower round Swedish picks and Datsyuk, the other day and thought how nice it'd be to have someone like that in our organization, as well. Does anyone know how long Sinisalo has been scouting for the Flyers?

11 years

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10733

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Yeah, perhaps. Why do you think an additional year of seasoning applies more to defensemen than forwards, though?

Just seems statistical, i don't know the numbers directly but seems like it takes a little longer for defenseman to adjust to the nhl game in general. Juniors to nhl especially. He is currently playing with men so the physical adjustment won't be hard. The ice surface and puck time may take getting use to

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Comes down to numbers too. There's only 6 spots. It's a lot easier to ease a forward into the lineup than a defenseman. Even the low end bottom pair guys get around 15 minutes a game in the regular season.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Thanks, I completely forgot eliteprospects had staff profiles, as well. I never knew he played for the Flyers, either. Heh, and a friend of mine is a Blues fan, I should ask her if she remembers him as their GM.

Sinisalo was one of the key players on the mid-80s Keenan teams. Beautiful skater, strong smart player. With him, Pelle Eklund and guys like Kjell Samuelsson, Miro Dvorak, Pelle Lindbergh, it was team with a strong Euro presence too.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In general, the margin for error of the defensive position is much smaller and critical than for forwards.

I think that's pretty much it, an athletically talented forward can outskate his mistakes, even a fast defenseman doesn't have time to recover from his mind farts (because if you turn it over in your defensive zone it's often in the net before you can recover).

Example, if you're clearing the zone and make a bad pass, it's suddenly a play on net, if you're a forward and make a bad pass at center ice or the offensive zone, it's a rush down ice but your defensemen have a chance to cover for you.

Defensemen also have to have more subtle skills like positioning, working with their goalie not to screen them, etc. It takes time for these things to become instinctual, same with decisionmaking on offense, like when to step up and when to be conservative. For forwards, it's more about effort, hustling to get back on defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad