Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign UFA defenseman Christian Marti of Genève-Servette HC (Swiss NLA)

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Hey, I thought I'd come in to share my two cents as a Geneva fan for the past 3 years.

Marti is a defensive defender, above all. He has been our best +- player by a fair way for the past two seasons. This is whilst being out there on the PK. I remember watching him skate off clutching his arm after being hit and being so upset.

I think that the Flyers should be happy with this. Sure, it's no risk, but that's not why you should be happy. You should be happy because you have a big unit who can dish out a hit and knows how to defend.

As for Roman Loeffel, no comment... I want to keep him to us for now ;) His exclusion from the Swiss national team was a joke, and partially justified by our loss today to Austria.

Good analysis on Marti, pretty much agree with what you said. As for Loeffel, I don't really expect him to play in the NHL, I mean, he would get destroyed right off the bat!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
No way! Just take a look at our roster for the 2015 WC. We're packed on defense and anyway, Hanlon wouldn't have had the guts to call him. He's basically trying to get us relegated..
Yeah I figured the WCs were a long shot, but I was thinking maybe one of the small international tournaments throughout the year?

AussieDave27

Aug 4, 2014
Marti was injured half way through the year and most of the small international tournaments (e.g. Deutschland Cup) occur int he second half, so it wasn't possible.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Over who?

I believe the post is referring to a potential callup at some point during the season due to injury or slumping players. I don't think there is any real chance that he plays his way onto the team over any of the established guys or the rookies in camp.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Marti, Alt and Manning have a better chance of starting the season with the big team than any of the kids, because they have enough AHL/International experience to give the HC and FO confidence that what they show in camp will carry over to the regular season.

Morin, Ghost and the Junior kids have to be lights out in camp because it's reasonable to expect that they'll come back to earth once the regular season begins, the games get more intense and the 80 game grind wears them down.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Who was the last defenseman to go from NLA to the NHL? Diaz? He was a lot more accomplished than Marti when he signed. I don't see a way he starts the season with the big club. Possible callup? Sure.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just wish we could at least move Luke Schenn so some space begins to open up for these guys chomping at the bit.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think Hextall is going to wait until training camp to make sure at least one of the prospects are ready to play in the NHL before trading any more defensemen.

Imagine how bad it'd look if he traded away too many people (to the point that they don't have a full 6 and at least one sub) and didn't have anyone to fill those spots with.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
According to the Coyotes GM they took Pronger as an accounting move after Hextall offered to pay $500K of Grossmann's salary. So Pronger was a throw in from their perspective. Which means Grossmann at $3m returned Sam Gagner and a 3rd. I think LSchenn will be worth more than that, and a team like Dallas could really use him.

ELab2

Apr 9, 2007
Atlantic City
According to the Coyotes GM they took Pronger as an accounting move after Hextall offered to pay $500K of Grossmann's salary. So Pronger was a throw in from their perspective. Which means Grossmann at $3m returned Sam Gagner and a 3rd. I think LSchenn will be worth more than that, and a team like Dallas could really use him.

You shouldn't discount the value of the accounting move. Accounting move does not equate to throw in when you have to reach the cap floor but don't want to spend money.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, I don't think the Coyotes put much value on Gagner, so Pronger was a way to dump Gagner, reduce their cash flow and still cover the cap. So by taking Gagner and throwing in $500K, there was no financial cost for them but they gained a D-man their coach trusts and $4M toward the cap minimum.

On the other hand, L Schenn is much younger with more upside than Grossman, so for the right team (one which likes to pair a mobile defenseman with a physical stay at home guy), he could have significant value, though not nearly as much as Coburn.

I think with Marti and Alt in Allentown (i.e., wouldn't be forced to bring up one of the kids before they're ready), Hextall really isn't worried about trading a defenseman, he probably just feels he'll get a better return in September as teams assess their needs going into the season. They really need to trade one now and one by the deadline, at least one of Hagg, Morin or Ghost will be chafing at the bit by then.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You shouldn't discount the value of the accounting move. Accounting move does not equate to throw in when you have to reach the cap floor but don't want to spend money.

Before the trade I thought it would be a big motivation for them, but now they are already $3.3m over the cap with 19 active players on one-way deals and they still have Dahlbeck & Gormley as unsigned RFAs.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/arizona-coyotes

Banger

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
Well, I don't think the Coyotes put much value on Gagner, so Pronger was a way to dump Gagner, reduce their cash flow and still cover the cap. So by taking Gagner and throwing in $500K, there was no financial cost for them but they gained a D-man their coach trusts and $4M toward the cap minimum.

On the other hand, L Schenn is much younger with more upside than Grossman, so for the right team (one which likes to pair a mobile defenseman with a physical stay at home guy), he could have significant value, though not nearly as much as Coburn.

I think with Marti and Alt in Allentown (i.e., wouldn't be forced to bring up one of the kids before they're ready), Hextall really isn't worried about trading a defenseman, he probably just feels he'll get a better return in September as teams assess their needs going into the season. They really need to trade one now and one by the deadline, at least one of Hagg, Morin or Ghost will be chafing at the bit by then.

I don't know about significant. That trade was done before free agency and right now there are some decent FA's out there with zero leverage so you can get them likely cheap and for no compensation (picks/players). Until most of those good defensemen are signed I can't see him having much value @ $3.6/year.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I think Marti had to have been told he has a fair shot at making the NHL, because otherwise why would he sign the contract? It certainly makes little sense to go from the NLA to the AHL. That said, I think it's going to be a real uphill battle for him to make the opening roster, but one can always hope.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
One must assume he was told and will be given every opportunity to make the team but also noted that NA game is different and may require a year of Ahl seasoning. I think this usually applies to d more then forwards.

Regardless I'm excited for him. He should definitely be looked at as a future. That being said we need to clear house!

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
One must assume he was told and will be given every opportunity to make the team but also noted that NA game is different and may require a year of Ahl seasoning. I think this usually applies to d more then forwards.
Yeah, perhaps. Why do you think an additional year of seasoning applies more to defensemen than forwards, though?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

If schenn has a good year I could see him getting a late first at the deadline.

Word is Dallas may be looking at oduya. They could use both I guess. Several teams are really loading up this offseason. Usually doesn't work out as expected.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If schenn has a good year I could see him getting a late first at the deadline.

Word is Dallas may be looking at oduya. They could use both I guess. Several teams are really loading up this offseason. Usually doesn't work out as expected.

I don't see that ever happening. We'd be lucky to get a late 2nd. I'd be happy with a 3rd.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Back to Marti, here's an article from the team site:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=774918

When he was not one of the 211 players taken in the 2013 NHL entry, Marti decided that rather than playing as an overage player in the Quebec League, he would grow up faster competing against men for Geneve-Servette in the top Swiss League.

That’s where he was spotted by Flyers scout Ilkka Sinisalo, who suggested Pryor take a look. The same eyes that liked Raffl and Bellemare over the last two years, approved.

“There is a presence to Christian’s game that you noticed right away for a young guy playing in a men’s league at that age,†said Pryor. “He skates well, is competitive, and has decent hands.

“That’s a pretty good league over there, which people would realize if they look at the rosters (littered with former NHL players). He could handle himself in that environment.â€

As with three other UFAs at camp, -- center Cole Bardreau, left wing Danick Martel (once a Marti teammate at Blainville) right wing Pavel Padakin (a John Paddock tout from Regina) -- the Flyers don’t waste their time and money on guys they believe have no chance. After European scavenger hunts that have brought them Raffl and Bellemare, the Flyers have done better over there than the Clark Griswolds for sure.

Over here, Marti may be a long way from the big rinks of his youth, but he is the kind of stay at home defenseman that makes the smaller rinks work for him.

“I think I’m good in my own zone,†he said. “I can move the puck good and skate it good. I’m a big guy but still mobile. If somebody asks me what I am, I want t be a shutdown D.â€

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Love the attitude. Knows his limitations. These guys attitudes have to have a good amount of pull when teams are interviewing them for potential deals.

Low risk high reward deals are the ones GMs love, he fits that. Even if he becomes a bottom pairing 18 minute defender, he will be better than God damn grossmann

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad