Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Tyrell Goulbourne to 3-year ELC

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
lol...so because guys end up as depth guys we should just throw in the towel and hope we at least get an NHLer out of the draft with our 3rd rounders? DUMB!

He was picked 72nd overall. Why jsut HOPE for a 4th line player? And that's IF he reaches his upside.

Again, I risk 4th liners all day for top 6 talent. And Goule has not even proven that yet.

Too job we drafted talent with Ghost. Missed out on a good fighter.

Scouts determine opinions on players. In Morin's case the Flyers liked his upside a lot and felt that he had a good chance to hit it big and become a great player.

Now if a scout can feel really confident in a player that they'll do great, can't they also feel the opposite in a certain "talent" and believe that they won't hit their upside?

The third time I am mentioning these two in this thread, but why do guys like Ho-Sang and Kylington fall? It is because scouts project them and ultimately decide that, while talented, they don't project very safely (If at all) to the NHL. Maybe, even in just the slightest way, it is possible that our scouts had similar opinions to this on Duclair/Bjorkstrand.

This is kind of like how fans look at the common ISS, CSS, etc. draft rankings and lose their minds when teams actually move away from what is allegedly the norm. Internal opinions exist for these players and it turns on that the Flyers just happened to be one of the team to skip over Duclair/Bjorkstrand.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You mean the same 20%ish that make any sort of career at all, which I had already pointed out, and then a bunch of junior numbers? Ok

Instead of going for 22%, or even aiming for the 16%, we elected to go as low as possible when it comes to likely NHL impact.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Scouts determine opinions on players. In Morin's case the Flyers liked his upside a lot and felt that he had a good chance to hit it big and become a great player.

Now if a scout can feel really confident in a player that they'll do great, can't they also feel the opposite in a certain "talent" and believe that they won't hit their upside?

The third time I am mentioning these two in this thread, but why do guys like Ho-Sang and Kylington fall? It is because scouts project them and ultimately decide that, while talented, they don't project very safely (If at all) to the NHL. Maybe, even in just the slightest way, it is possible that our scouts had similar opinions to this on Duclair/Bjorkstrand.

This is kind of like how fans look at the common ISS, CSS, etc. draft rankings and lose their minds when teams actually move away from what is allegedly the norm. Internal opinions exist for these players and it turns on that the Flyers just happened to be one of the team to skip over Duclair/Bjorkstrand.

And what you are saying is reasonable.

In fact, with Bjork, it's probably very true. I thought that because they had picked and watched Leier, that he would be our pick when it came up. But they just as easily might have spotted a flaw with all the viewings as well.

It comes down to risk/reward. If your "reward" for drafting in the 3rd round is a 4th line player, you might as well just trade the pick for a 4th liner to remove the risk right? Since that is the best you are going for anyways.

But for ME, I want to go for the talent and if you get the "reward", you could get a Marchand, or Ghost, or Duclair, etc... And then you still have the "chance" that if they don't hit gully, you still get someone like Clutterbuck.

If Goule doesn't hit his max, he is not in the NHL.

Look at BSchenn. Has he hit his max? Of course not. But he is still a good NHL player, just not what was hoped for when drafted. But he had enough upside, that even though he didn't hit it, he is still good.

At pick #72, it was way to early to "settle" on a 4th liner IF he hit his max. Glad we drafted talent in 2012 and picked Ghost.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
lol...so because guys end up as depth guys we should just throw in the towel and hope we at least get an NHLer out of the draft with our 3rd rounders? DUMB!

He was picked 72nd overall. Why jsut HOPE for a 4th line player? And that's IF he reaches his upside.

Again, I risk 4th liners all day for top 6 talent. And Goule has not even proven that yet.

Too job we drafted talent with Ghost. Missed out on a good fighter.

"If you're confident you see a role player with guarantee, take him. If you're confident you see a scorer with similar guarantee, then take him instead." This is what I said.

Regarding Ghost. It was the exact same group of scouts who chose both in the 3rd rounds. They went with they determined. It was not like it was a different philosophy one year from the other. They went with players who their particular group of staff felt were guarantees at the time and so I'm sure they were feeling "lucky" both times. I prefer them not to guess in the 3rd, so if they are sure of themselves to get that 1 in 5 NHL player, they should go with their analysis. Some have high ceilings below ground floors, Others have low ceilings and ground level floors. I'm hap[y with them deciding who has the highest floors in the 3rd while also considering the ceiling height.

This back and forth is way too old now today, Im just going to agree to disagree before any shots are fired. The horse is already dead.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
"If you're confident you see a role player with guarantee, take him. If you're confident you see a scorer with similar guarantee, then take him instead." This is what I said.

Regarding Ghost. It was the exact same group of scouts who chose both in the 3rd rounds. They went with that determined. It was not like it was a different philosophy one year from the other. They went with players who their particular group of staff felt were guarantees at the time and so I'm sure they were feeling "lucky" both times. I prefer them not to guess in the 3rd, so if they are sure of themselves to get that 1 in 5 NHL player, they should go with their analysis. Some have high ceilings below ground floors, Others have low ceilings and ground level floors. I'm hap[y with them deciding who has the highest floors in the 3rd while also considering the ceiling height.

This back and forth is way too old now today, Im just going to agree to disagree before any shots are fired.

Agreed...we will never agree on this. I want talent drafted at #72, not 4th line UPSIDE.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Bump...

Is it just me or was Ghouls twitter account hacked? He tweeted some google play/tumblr link at me and I seriously doubt he meant that :))

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Regarding Ghost. It was the exact same group of scouts who chose both in the 3rd rounds. They went with they determined. It was not like it was a different philosophy one year from the other. They went with players who their particular group of staff felt were guarantees at the time and so I'm sure they were feeling "lucky" both times. I prefer them not to guess in the 3rd, so if they are sure of themselves to get that 1 in 5 NHL player, they should go with their analysis. Some have high ceilings below ground floors, Others have low ceilings and ground level floors. I'm hap[y with them deciding who has the highest floors in the 3rd while also considering the ceiling height.

This back and forth is way too old now today, Im just going to agree to disagree before any shots are fired. The horse is already dead.
Thank you. The same people who slag the same group of scouts for picking Goulbourne would be crying right now if Ghost hadn't panned out. 'What were they thinking, taking a 150lb Dman from Florida, of all hockey hotbeds, in the 3rd round when prospect X was rated 85 by ISS and was still availalble.blah-blah-blah..."

Scouting is part art, part science, part hunches, part guesswork and part insider trading. They make picks based on evaluations, and go for it. Each pick requires a gut check.

Is this the right guy to pick now? Does he have a chance to play for our team? If not him, who? OK, it's him. They don't get the benefit of hindsight, they go with their instincts and what's happening on the draft floor. Happily, they've been doing a GREAT job for the Flyers in recent years. I prefer to judge them on the totality of their output, not nitpick their errors. It's a body of work to be judged as a whole, imho.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Thank you. The same people who slag the same group of scouts for picking Goulbourne would be crying right now if Ghost hadn't panned out. 'What were they thinking, taking a 150lb Dman from Florida, of all hockey hotbeds, in the 3rd round when prospect X was rated 85 by ISS and was still availalble.blah-blah-blah..."

Scouting is part art, part science, part hunches, part guesswork and part insider trading. They make picks based on evaluations, and go for it. Each pick requires a gut check.

Is this the right guy to pick now? Does he have a chance to play for our team? If not him, who? OK, it's him. They don't get the benefit of hindsight, they go with their instincts and what's happening on the draft floor. Happily, they've been doing a GREAT job for the Flyers in recent years. I prefer to judge them on the totality of their output, not nitpick their errors. It's a body of work to be judged as a whole, imho.

What did they say again? Zac Rinaldo v2?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad