Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Timonen to a one-year extension, reported at $6m and a NMC (upd: post #1)

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Market value to the Flyers is 6m. UFA. Glaring need. Leader. Defensemen are getting this type of money.

Good signing. Kimmo may have lost a step, but he is an amazing defender. Every game he makes so many fantastically quiet plays (and 1-2 obviously brilliant ones). His hockey IQ is still holding off his age a bit. He also is the QB of the PP. Without him, god help us all.

G Money

Oct 15, 2011
Sudbury
he is a warrior glad he is here to stay for another year

as for this perry talk if he keeps playing like this we might get him for 3m per year haha

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
This is confirmed in a thread on the Rumors board in the general discussion area

The Free Agency board may have the 'Confirmed With Link' tag, but there has been no official announcement that Timonen has signed an extension.

The Free Agency board OP has Sam's tweet as the source, which is in our OP, as well.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Poor Marty... I'll never understand why people say things like 'he didn't work out'. He was a fine starter for us - around league average. If his agent didn't price him out of a starting job in the league we would've won the cup with him in net.... sigh.

yeah Biron was solid, gave us a chance to win every game.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
it's official

The Philadelphia Flyers have agreed to terms with D Kimmo Timonen on a one-year contract extension, according to general manager Paul Holmgren. The extension keeps Timonen with the Flyers through the 2013-14 season.

“We are pleased to announce that we have signed Kimmo Timonen to a one-year contract extension,” Holmgren said. “Kimmo’s presence on the ice for us and in our locker room is invaluable. We look forward to him continuing his all-around play for us.”

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=654551&navid=DL|PHI|home

Homer straight up lied to everyone yesterday, haha. he's making a habit of it

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
it's official

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=654551&navid=DL|PHI|home

Homer straight up lied to everyone yesterday, haha. he's making a habit of it

In all fairness... Kimmo was not signed -- at least not officially -- yesterday... so not only did Homer not lie, but he spoke the truth as he answered the question. ;)

I all seriousness though... I believe there is an NHL rule, or edict, that precludes a team from announcing a deal until it is approved by the NHL... If Homer said they had reached a deal, he could conceivably have been fined or had his hand slapped. And besides, maybe the deal was not even 100% done at the time.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I don't understand the urgency to get this deal done so early. If they aren't in playoff contention that's an extremely valuable trade chip they have at the deadline to possibly acquire a young defenseman.

Maybe Kimmo's camp sent out whispers that he wanted to test the free agent market after the season.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
we'd be doomed without him. it buys us another year until we can steal somebody else's top guy. kimmo really deserves a cup. maybe his good karma will be ours. at least he seems like a great guy. idk i guess he could be a murderer.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I would love Perry too and he does fill a huge need but wait till you see his caphit. Zach Parise's first 7 years of his contract: $12 mil, 12, 11,9,9,9,9. Thats $71. That would be over a 10 mil a year cap hit. I dont think Perry will get that much, but is $9 mil a year hit out of the question? It is will definitely be 8+. If its Kimmo for 1 year at 6 or Perry for 7 years at 9, I take Kimmo especially with Giroux coming up next year.
I think its going to be hard to get 8+. Big time players will probably get in the 7s over 6 years going forward.

sucks for guys that were not UFAs last year.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
i totally know how much of a rock he is , especially if a puck bounces over his blade. Those times his likeness to a rock really shows through when we give up breakaway short happened attempts.
Man, you are too hard....this doesn't happen much to Kimmo...hes pretty good at controlling the puck...but yes he's lost alot of speed.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Is it though? Coburn, Mez, and Grossmann are all 27-28. That's not really young. I know that D men are on a different career arc than forwards, but I'm not sure we're going to get much more out of them than what we already are. If anything now is the year for these guys to do it because all we have is an aging Timonen in front of them on the depth chart.

I agree that if there wasn't going to be anyone out there next year, spending $6mil on Timonen for a year is better than spending $5.5 mil a year on a Matt Carle type player for 5 years.

I think this team has 2 glaring holes that are going to hold it back, a legit #1 Dman, and a 1st line goal scoring forward. I still think we may have traded that forward this past offseason for a guy who isn't going to be that defenseman.
i agree with you...JVR was the better player. Schenn looks to be a nice solid #3 for us...but JVR has more talent.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Why do posters act like they know where Perry wants and does not want to sign? No one knows but him and likely those around him.

Why wouldnt he want to come here? Why would he? Where DOES he want to go?

Perry would be an excellent piece to this team, if he makes it to free agency, I would expect Holmgren to make a push. If it takes using an Amnesty to do it without thinking twice. Ideally, Briere would accept a trade elsewhere and the Flyers could get at the least, something for him.
None of us really know where he will go or wants to go. If he hits UFA, you know we will call him.

Philly is a great place to play hockey. Full building, great paychecks, great support. We might not win the player, but we are in the conversation.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
It's a better option than just putting it off till 2014 and saying "Meh, we'll worry about it then" aka the "Holmgren plan".

Sooner or later you've gotta pay the piper. Unless Timonen can play till he's 45-50. :laugh:

I think it's smarter to rip the band-aid off while we're still a really young team, rather than wasting a year doing so when most guys are in their prime... but that's me.
As long as we don't trade draft picks or young players for 30+ guys, life is good.

The run at Pronger killed our high end farm.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Maybe Kimmo's camp sent out whispers that he wanted to test the free agent market after the season.

FWIW... Kimmo said that it has always been his plan to retire a Flyers... and also that Homer contacted him before the season started and asked him what his plans were; he told Homer that he wanted to wait and see if he felt he was able to play up to his standards, after his surgery and the LockOut, before he decided if he wanted to go another season after this... He also said now that it is 99% sure that 2013-14 is his last and he will retire a Flyer. (all paraphrased)... BTW: he retained his No-Move Clause... so he's a great bet to end it in O&B... as it should be.

pughater

Jan 25, 2008
montgomery county
im glad he will be back for another season. it will give me two more chances to meet of the of the best flyers d men to ever dress in a fly guys jersey regardless of what he is paid. its not our money

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm as big a fan of Timonen's stellar play as a Flyer as most here, but I still don't understand the timing. 10 games in and with the team at 4-6, why the big need to shore up Timonen right away for next year?

Unless Timonen's agent gave Holmgren an ultimatum that he resigns now or Timonen tests FA, and blocks any trade at the deadline, all I see is an option-limiting move at arguably market value (ie, no savings). If this season goes south, Timonen would be a gleaming jewel Holmgren could have worked off. It doesn't even matter if Holmgren was against dealing Timonen away, he could still have generated conversation.

I don't get it.

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
I'm not really happy with this signing if that is the money. we all know he has lost a stepand still gets pushed around in front of our own net. Kimmo doesn't put up the points that warrant that kind of money. Trust me, I'm a Kimmo fan but really not at that price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad