Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Timonen to a one-year extension, reported at $6m and a NMC (upd: post #1)

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Its Eklund, so not too sure.

https://twitter.com/Eklund/status/299296575908352000

Flyers have extended Kimo Timonen for a year (per a teammate)

-------------------------------

February 6, evening:

HockeyBuzz:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Flyers-Extend-Timonen-One-Year-E5/1/49090

Per one of the Flyers players and now confirmed by a high-level team source, the team has given defenseman Kimmo Timonen a one-year contract extension. The four-time NHL All Star is still the Flyers' most important defenseman and would have been the top remaining name on the UFA defense market this summer.

Timonen is making a salary of $3 million this season but the cap hit is $6.33 million because it's the final year of the six-year contract he signed in 2007 after coming over from Nashville. The new deal is for $6 million.

------------------------------

Sam C. at Inquirer:

Sam Carchidi‏@BroadStBull

#Flyers will sign Timonen to a one-year $6M extension, source confirms.

------------------------------

From Tim P.:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...xtension-timonen?awid=7262913495602307360-711

The Flyers are close to re-signing veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen to a one-year, $6 million contract extension, according to league sources.

An announcement is expected before the end of the week.

Timonen is in the final year of a six-year, $37.8 million contract which had a $6.33 million cap hit.

The new deal would obviously assure the soon-to-be 38-year-old remains the Flyers' highest-paid blueliner.

“We have had talks but nothing is in place,” general manager Paul Holmgren told CSNPhilly.com on Wednesday night.

Hockeybuzz.com reported that the deal is done and worth $6 million.

-----------------------------------------

Confirmed:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=654551&navid=DL|PHI|home

The Philadelphia Flyers have agreed to terms with D Kimmo Timonen on a one-year contract extension, according to general manager Paul Holmgren. The extension keeps Timonen with the Flyers through the 2013-14 season.

“We are pleased to announce that we have signed Kimmo Timonen to a one-year contract extension,” Holmgren said. “Kimmo’s presence on the ice for us and in our locker room is invaluable. We look forward to him continuing his all-around play for us.”

Timonen, 37 (3/18/1975), is currently in his 14th NHL season and his sixth with the Flyers. He was acquired along with Scott Hartnell in a trade with Nashville on June 18, 2007 in exchange for a first-round pick in that year’s draft. Over the course of 407 games with the Flyers, Timonen has posted 211 points on 28 goals and 183 assists, and has gathered a plus-38 rating along with 244 penalty minutes.

----------------------------------

Bill Meltzer‏@billmeltzer

@wilsonecho91 @Eklund @jsaquella Retains his NMC. Even if he didn't, he was going to finish his NHL career as a Flyer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Its Ek he's usually so-so with other teams but he got the Coburn extension right last year so yeh... Still gonna take it with a grain of salt though.

RJ8812*

If it's true, I'm not against it (if it's cap friendly) but I still think they should have waited

what was the rush?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
So we have Eklund who makes things up and Holmgren who lies. Who do we believe?

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
I think he waits out the year. If we can finish with a championship I think he retires. If we fall short I think he gives it another shot and he's earned the right to retire on his own terms

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
This should be interesting... Eklund versus Holmgren in a minor skirmish for credibility.

Prediction: Going to go out on a limb and say Eklund is right and Holmgren twists it to say that it hadn't been officially completed at the time of tweet.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This should be interesting... Eklund versus Holmgren in a minor skirmish for credibility.

Prediction: Going to go out on a limb and say Eklund is right and Holmgren twists it to say that it hadn't been officially completed at the time of tweet.

I think you're right. Eklund sounds very confident.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad