Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Ryan Poehling, 1 x $1.4m

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Brutal advanced stats for last year. But also started 80% of his shifts in the defensive zone.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Laughton’s replacement? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, fine with the 1 year deal. Perfect player to shop at the TDL for a pick.

Reactions: Evergreen

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I mean if you’re going to sign a 4th line PKer for John Tortorella…….better this than other options. No term (shoutout Deslauriers) and you can pretend there’s a smidgen of upside. I liked Poehling as a draft eligible, been a disappointment though.

I just want to add: will this genius crew ever consider Frost on the PK? You know, the high end CHL/AHL PKer?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He was a 17 year old freshman in college, he was brought up too quickly by Montreal, showed improvement last year in Pittsburgh.
Good size (6'2 196), speed, smarts, I think he just got caught up with inflated expectations, ceiling is probably a 3C, but he'll provide depth and either step up or be flipped at the TDL.

Good PK guy, good at entry and exits, just hasn't translated his talent into points so far in his career.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
What a shame how his career went down the toilet. He should have never been rushed to turn pro. He's just a warm body now. Can't win face offs, offensive game is non-existent. Hell, he's gonna be a player for Tortorella because 'intangibles'. Hopefully there's someone there that can teach him how to win faceoffs.

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008
Don’t think he’s an automatic flip at the deadline. I think he’s still RFA. It’s going to be the same as Seeler, if too many teams want him they’ll decide he’s too valuable to themselves.
This is where we need Danny B to develop Hextall’s killer instinct for cashing in on marginal players. Hex got a third for each of Tye McGinn and Zac Ronaldo.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is where we need Danny B to develop Hextall’s killer instinct for cashing in on marginal players. Hex got a third for each of Tye McGinn and Zac Ronaldo.
Hextall was going to leave McGinn unqualified too

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I mean if you’re going to sign a 4th line PKer for John Tortorella…….better this than other options. No term (shoutout Deslauriers) and you can pretend there’s a smidgen of upside. I liked Poehling as a draft eligible, been a disappointment though.

I just want to add: will this genius crew ever consider Frost on the PK? You know, the high end CHL/AHL PKer?

No

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Flyers tweeted it out.

In the past, they've typically announced all their signings at once on UFA Day, so i'm wondering if that's it for today

Reactions: BillDineen

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

They should have a Farabee-Frost PK at some point... both the best PKers at every level below NHL they have played.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They should have a Farabee-Frost PK at some point... both the best PKers at every level below NHL they have played.

Tippett being chosen to "develop" as a PKer over Frost, at Torts' behest, last season tells me all I need to know. They have their scouts, they have their AHL coach -- these guys watched him as a dangerous PKer. And all options are preferred, even Deslauriers. That Frost graded as their best PKer in a tiny 15 minute sample wasn't surprising. It's just pigeonholing a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad