Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign RW Colin McDonald, 1 year 2-way

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
AHLer. Potential call up vet fill-in (though I'd think he'd be behind Brent in that regard). Played a couple of seasons with the Islanders. Fungible, nondescript kind of guy with above average size.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Hockey News says it best in their little blurb:

Journeyman depth winger.

He'll add depth to Lehigh, I think Hextall wants a solid team there both for development purposes and to build support for the Flyers in Eastern Pennsylvania.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The Hockey News says it best in their little blurb:

Journeyman depth winger.

He'll add depth to Lehigh, I think Hextall wants a solid team there both for development purposes and to build support for the Flyers in Eastern Pennsylvania.

You mean where the bulk of the fanbase is from...?

Yeah, really need to build that up. :laugh:

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
You mean where the bulk of the fanbase is from...?

Yeah, really need to build that up. :laugh:

I live in Easton and there's a power struggle up here between Philly New Jersey and New York. A solid team down 22 in Allentown should help sway the opinion up here. Haha.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I like it. He can come up if any 4th liners get hurt while the kids in the AHL get to see a hard working guy set an example. Much better than adding Stortini.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think they will re-sign Rosehill, but their forward group seems pretty full.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
AHLer. Potential call up vet fill-in (though I'd think he'd be behind Brent in that regard). Played a couple of seasons with the Islanders. Fungible, nondescript kind of guy with above average size.

He actually had 8 points in 18 NHL games last year. I think he will get a fair shot to make the roster. He probably won't, but I don't think he is an automatic AHL'er.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
He actually had 8 points in 18 NHL games last year. I think he will get a fair shot to make the roster. He probably won't, but I don't think he is an automatic AHL'er.
He didn't look bad at all, but it's just weird that we signed him, given that we already did the same with VandeVelde and White. My choice would be to play him over at least VandeVelde, though, and on a line with Bellemare.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Lol. Above who?

01-Giroux
02-Voracek
03-Simmonds
04-Couturier
05-Schenn
06-Read
07-Gagner
08-Laughton
09-Umberger
10-White
11-Bellemare
12-VandeVelde
13-Lecavalier
14-Cousins

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He didn't look bad at all, but it's just weird that we signed him, given that we already did the same with VandeVelde and White. My choice would be to play him over at least VandeVelde, though, and on a line with Bellemare.

He was signed for the Phantoms. Their not going to break up what was a very effective 4th line just for the sake of it.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
He was signed for the Phantoms. Their not going to break up what was a very effective 4th line just for the sake of it.
The 4th line was changing throughout the season, and was effective in all of its incarnations. So there's nothing to break up or at least nothing that would be different from what happened last season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The 4th line was changing throughout the season, and was effective in all of its incarnations. So there's nothing to break up or at least nothing that would be different from what happened last season.

But there is still no chance we see McDonald unless a glut of injuries happen.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Dave Hakstol is not Craig Berube, he could want a different 4th line. And McDonald could outplay Vandevelde in training camp. There is certainly a chance.
Yeah, exactly. The way I see it is that McDonald is a better player anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if he establishes himself on the fourth line over VandeVelde. I guess we'll see how it plays out, though.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I think they will re-sign Rosehill, but their forward group seems pretty full.

I hope not. Rosehill would just lose his mind last year and really cost the team. He did not pick his spots at all. I found him to be a very selfish enforcer.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Yeah, McDonald has surprisingly good numbers in NHL, he had even 3 points in 6 play-off games for Islanders 2 years ago. Hextall wants some competition for 4th line. I think I remember him scoring a goal against us some time ago. I like this signing.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I live in Easton and there's a power struggle up here between Philly New Jersey and New York. A solid team down 22 in Allentown should help sway the opinion up here. Haha.

Yeah, Allentown is as much a part of the New York metro area as it is Philly. My mother lives in Ottsville, which is still in Bucks County but near the line with Lehigh, and she gets New York local channels as well as Philadelphia. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the area was split.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I've lived in or 10 minutes from Allentown my entire life, it's certainly not a heavily split area. It's 90% Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, and then a tiny bit of Steelers and a tiny bit of NY teams. It's not an area that needs to be won over, not at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad