Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Noah Cates To Two Year Contract - Avoid Arbitration ($2.625M AAV)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Cates 100% should not be playing on the top 2 lines and certainly not with our best winger.

But here we are.

Weird that dead wants to get back to Cates after going off rails to go to Torts, only to be put in his place.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Since we're now relying on McCurdy, doesn't he have a total value metric?
How does Cates and Frost compare?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I absolutely do not want to submit to any one metric as Gospel. But since you asked...

Last year was +0.7 sG for Cates and +0.9 sG for Frost. Both good but not great.

Farabee was a -3.0 since he's a pretty agnostic player in the Holy War to give some scale.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I absolutely do not want to submit to any one metric as Gospel. But since you asked...

Last year was +0.7 sG for Cates and +0.9 sG for Frost. Both good but not great.

Farabee was a -3.0 since he's a pretty agnostic player in the Holy War to give some scale.
Yeah, that's about right, they're complementary, different skill sets, about the same quality, both unproven at this point.

Farabee looks like a different player so far, guess it helps not to have neck surgery before the season.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Cates is at center b/c the alternative is Laughton.

He's not a scorer, but his xGF/60 was similar to Frost when both became full-time starters at center last year. This year he leads the team in xGF/60 after 4 games with a ridiculous 4.55.

How can a bad offensive player create scoring chances when he's on the ice? Because Cates' strength is his great hands and instincts, he's really good at puck retrieval. Putting Brink with him gives his line a playmaker.
Why are you bringing up Frost? No one mentioned Frost at all.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Just shows you how you coach depends on your talent.

Not really. Sometimes how a coach coaches depends on their personality and intellect. Tortorella is a self-absorbed asshole who is too stupid and lazy to evolve. So he deliberately reduces the talent level on the team, because he thinks talented play is bad and because he personally enjoys harming players.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I appreciate Cates getting time with more offensively gifted forwards. He's one of the best young players the Flyers have, and seeing what else he can contribute beyond solid defense, plus more than solid offensive contributions points on lower line duties, is a completely worthwhile goal for a rebuilding team.

And if he helps them lose games by being placed too high in the lineup? Well, Flyers can make that work too.

Line juggling will probably continue for quite some time, and Cates is a part of it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I appreciate Cates getting time with more offensively gifted forwards. He's one of the best young players the Flyers have, and seeing what else he can contribute beyond solid defense, plus more than solid offensive contributions points on lower line duties, is a completely worthwhile goal for a rebuilding team.

And if he helps them lose games by being placed too high in the lineup? Well, Flyers can make that work too.

Line juggling will probably continue for quite some time, and Cates is a part of it.
Let's see, if we're rebuilding, does that mean we experiment with young players in different roles?
Nah, after one season we know exactly what a player can and can't do.

One reason for line shuffling is to figure out who has chemistry, and it usually comes down to pairs with the 3rd forward juggled between lines, Saw that in the past with G and Couts.
Frost - Tippett
Couts - Atkinson
Cates - Brink
are possibilities, with TK, Farabee, Laughton (Foerster) as "floaters?"

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

I missed this. The graphic I posted was a ‘total value’ metric. I just started subbing to him, but the only total value metric I have seen is his Synthetic Goal (sG) model, new to this year. He uses 5v5 shot rates, PP shots for, PK shots against, impacts on goal scoring (setting and finishing ability) impact on team penalties.

He computes these and places them on that graph.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you take that chart seriously, Cates and Frost are equivalent, and Poehling and Hathaway are two of our best forwards so far.

Which is good, we want Hathaway to be a metric's darling and have some GM fall in love with him.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
If you take that chart seriously, Cates and Frost are equivalent, and Poehling and Hathaway are two of our best forwards so far.

In terms of effectiveness, yeah sure. But how they are getting there is the difference, that’s the nuanced discussion we are having here. They are both dairly neutral. Cates is getting to that effectiveness through exceptional defense and exceptionally poor offense and Frost is getting there thru slightly positive defense and neutral offense.

I hate how he has those 1st,2nd,3rd,4th line demarcations. The fact is that they are deployed in a certain way, and their sG is based on their individual circumstances. That’s descriptive, and you can’t use those values to say player x would preform in a top line role. I think those lines should say something different, some combination of ‘excellent, good, average, poor, bad’.
Which is good, we want Hathaway to be a metric's darling and have some GM fall in love with him.

Hathaway has always been a metrics darling. He’s a quality bottom 6 player and has been for a number of years. He usually brings defensive value. Same with Poehling. He’s been very good defensively and does bring some offensive ability as well.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In terms of effectiveness, yeah sure. But how they are getting there is the difference, that’s the nuanced discussion we are having here. They are both dairly neutral. Cates is getting to that effectiveness through exceptional defense and exceptionally poor offense and Frost is getting there thru slightly positive defense and neutral offense.

I hate how he has those 1st,2nd,3rd,4th line demarcations. The fact is that they are deployed in a certain way, and their sG is based on their individual circumstances. That’s descriptive, and you can’t use those values to say player x would preform in a top line role. I think those lines should say something different, some combination of ‘excellent, good, average, poor, bad’.

Hathaway has always been a metrics darling. He’s a quality bottom 6 player and has been for a number of years. He usually brings defensive value. Same with Poehling. He’s been very good defensively and does bring some offensive ability as well.
If you look at 5x5 PT, they're rolling three lines, getting close to equal TOI:
Couts 12:16 (PK 2:32, PP 4:40)
Tippett 11:39 (PP 3;04)
Laughton 11:31 (PK 1:36)
Brink 11:24 (PP 3:24)
Farabee 11:10 (PP 2:58)
Foerster 10:40 (PP 4:01)
TK 10:38 (PP 4:16)
Atkinson 10:27 (PK 2:08, PP 4:19)
Hathaway 10:20 (PK 1:04)
Poehling 10:11 (PK 1:06)
Cates 9:55 (PK 2:27, PP 2:25)
Deslauriers 9:44
Frost 9:16 (PP 2:23)

Note they're using Cates almost like a 4th line forward
I think this will be in flux over the first 20 games or so, then Torts will settle on a top 9.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

YES!!!!! Everyone else is busy arguing about these dopey labels and here the two of us are.

xzXooyZ.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
YES!!!!! Everyone else is busy arguing about these dopey labels and here the two of us are.

xzXooyZ.gif
It's arbitrary in that you're ranking players, whatever label you use.
What's more important is you know what you're ranking, that is, offense, defense, total value.

From a team building perspective, you want both to optimize total value in all situations, but also have a portfolio of skills, since some skills (like scoring goals when you're behind) are more valuable in certain situations.

So Cates might be a more valuable player with a one goal lead in the 3rd period, but less valuable if you're behind by 2 goals.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
As a grizzled vet Frost is just here to help mentor some of the younger guys like owen tippett and ryan poehling, like legendary player/coach Marc Staal was here to do before he got injured, you guys are all small picture folks. And if you really wanna coach like Torts, it starts in the press box.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
It's arbitrary in that you're ranking players, whatever label you use.
What's more important is you know what you're ranking, that is, offense, defense, total value.

From a team building perspective, you want both to optimize total value in all situations, but also have a portfolio of skills, since some skills (like scoring goals when you're behind) are more valuable in certain situations.

So Cates might be a more valuable player with a one goal lead in the 3rd period, but less valuable if you're behind by 2 goals.
You want to optimize total value, but....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"Everyone has been burned before, everybody knows pain . . "

HDCA/60:

Farabee 7.38
Foerster 7.43
Cates 7.51
Brink 8.54
TK 8.73
Laughton 9.12
Frost 9.12
Couts 9.82