Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Noah Cates To Two Year Contract - Avoid Arbitration ($2.625M AAV)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period​

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

Clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of [CBA 13(c)ii]:
  1. Settlement of the Club's final arbitration case, or
  2. Receipt of the Club's last arbitration award

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Has no impact on TDA.
Reasonable, I'd say Cates > Laughton with a lot of upside left.
Which is why I don't know why Laughton is still a Flyer.
I'm pretty sure since this was reached pre-arbitration they can no longer buy TDA out. They no longer receive that "luxury" of being able to buy a player out post arbitration. Maybe i'm wrong though.

Look, I know you're going to say that they can just send him to the minors but the Flyers aren't going to do that so let's just skip that.

Edit: It's also just so very weird that you've come around to the Young player should be playing over the vet line of thinking after arguing against it for years. Again, I know that you're going to say that you did no such thing so let's skip that also.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
With these types of players, my main concern is how they get used. He doesn't have meaningful offensive talent. The defensive results were fantastic. Those types are generally more susceptible to year to year variance in a negative way even when they're good players -- think John Marino.

When you're on the lower end of NHL average offensively and you drop off from 99th Percentile defensive possession metrics to the 80th, you're now ideally a 4th liner. NHL Coaches tend to be slow to respond to that.

This is not a contract complaint. It's player discussion.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He was like third in ice time last year amongst forwards. You’re paying for that here.

Cates is ultimately a depth player so not too mad if this is the ultimate outcome (a bridge deal). I don’t really see him as a player that creates that much surplus value going forward.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Who cares if they can't buy TDA out. Either trade him or let him sit in the pressbox or AHL. We don't need the cap space so it isn't really relevant. Either we can trade him or he sits. No need to buy him out.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm leaning towards liking that this is a shorter deal. If this year was a flash in the pan, we'll know soon enough, and will be able to adjust accordingly. (Presuming this doesn't walk him to UFA, which I can't imagine it does.) If he shows an extra offensive gear, like Coots eventually did, then great, he gets the big deal. If he doesn't, then we don't end up paying for untapped potential on the next, longer deal.

Of course, all that presumes everything goes well, and this is the Flyers, but we'll see.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Who cares if they can't buy TDA out. Either trade him or let him sit in the pressbox or AHL. We don't need the cap space so it isn't really relevant. Either we can trade him or he sits. No need to buy him out.
Sit him in Washington Township and don't have him come near the Skate Zone either... Pay for him to skate at Holydell.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm leaning towards liking that this is a shorter deal. If this year was a flash in the pan, we'll know soon enough, and will be able to adjust accordingly. (Presuming this doesn't walk him to UFA, which I can't imagine it does.) If he shows an extra offensive gear, like Coots eventually did, then great, he gets the big deal. If he doesn't, then we don't end up paying for untapped potential on the next, longer deal.

Of course, all that presumes everything goes well, and this is the Flyers, but we'll see.
He's 24, so at 26 he'll still be an RFA. 27/seven pro seasons is when players become UFA.

Reactions: ponder719

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I'm pretty sure since this was reached pre-arbitration they can no longer buy TDA out. They no longer receive that "luxury" of being able to buy a player out post arbitration. Maybe i'm wrong though.

Look, I know you're going to say that they can just send him to the minors but the Flyers aren't going to do that so let's just skip that.

Edit: It's also just so very weird that you've come around to the Young player should be playing over the vet line of thinking after arguing against it for years. Again, I know that you're going to say that you did no such thing so let's skip that also.

Loan him to a team in Hungary.

Reactions: renberg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Cates is in his athletic prime currently at 24. So he’s not like your typical first year player given it took him six years after his draft to play his first full season in the NHL.

The Flyers puffed up his surface profile with prime usage last year so Cates’ camp id imagine wanted to get paid to some degree based off that. Hopefully that usage gets dialed back in the coming years.

i don’t think there’s a big amount of upside really left there. So I don’t think it’s a big deal they went short term. If the depth in the prospect pool is good as some say he should be replaceable at the end of this deal (given he ideally should be in your bottom six).

The issue however could be when/if the Flyers overvalue him coming off that deal like they typically do with depth players & give him a contract he’s unlikely to live up to instead of just cutting bait.

Columbus Hockey Dad

Oct 30, 2018
Cates is in his athletic prime currently at 24. So he’s not like your typical first year player given it took him six years after his draft to play his first full season in the NHL.

i don’t think there’s a big amount of upside really left there. So I don’t think it’s a big deal they went short term. If the depth in the prospect pool is good as some say he should be replaceable at the end of this deal (given he ideally should be in your bottom six).

The issue however could be when/if the Flyers overvalue him coming off that deal like they typically do with depth players & give him a contract he’s unlikely to live up to instead of just cutting bait.
I think for just a two year deal, 2.625 million is just way too high. For a two year deal, it should have been maybe half that, similar to the York deal.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think for just a two year deal, 2.625 million is just way too high. For a two year deal, it should have been maybe half that, similar to the York deal.

Right or wrong surface production & ice time still pretty much drive contract prices in the league. So Cates likely had a good argument heading into an arbitration hearing.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I have said it before, but I really think an ex-agent AGM is needed to help negotiate contracts.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Who cares, it's two years and probably about what he's worth... He's going to be playing big minutes this season and getting his ass handed to him for the most part. I like Danny giving out the short term contracts because in 2 years because it gives you the flexibility to actually build your roster for the next phase of the rebuild when hopefully michkov is here.

Nothing to bitch about here.

Columbus Hockey Dad

Oct 30, 2018
Who cares, it's two years and probably about what he's worth... He's going to be playing big minutes this season and getting his ass handed to him for the most part. I like Danny giving out the short term contracts because in 2 years because it gives you the flexibility to actually build your roster for the next phase of the rebuild when hopefully michkov is here.

Nothing to bitch about here.
There's no upside. You're paying a premium for what Cates is now. If he gets better, you're going to pay for it in two years. There's really no upside here for the Flyers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad