Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Martin Jones (1 Yr - $2M)

HartOfPhilly

Jul 25, 2021

Charlie perfectly sums up my feeling. We didn't mortgage our future. But I'm not exactly thrilled and we are putting a lot of blind faith into "new culture / environment"

Reactions: orangey

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Fletcher said Hagg was the "retention" in the deal. Doesn't make Fletcher any better of a negotiator of course. With some of the defenseman signed yesterday, you could argue Hagg certainly had standalone value coming off of a career year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher said Hagg was the "retention" in the deal. Doesn't make Fletcher any better of a negotiator of course. With some of the defenseman signed yesterday, you could argue Hagg certainly had standalone value coming off of a career year.

These decisions aren't made in a vacuum, I'm sure Fletcher offered Hagg around, he'd have loved a 3rd or 4th rd pick in return for moving out the contract. Same way it's obvious FA contracts were negotiated well before today, you're not going to convince me that all these players jumped on the first offer in a couple hours. So Fletcher knew who was available and generally the price.

I think Flyers fans got a reality check, some of their favorite players (and some of their least favorite) weren't highly valued around the league.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I still don't get why the Flyers did this, but a one-year deal for TWO MILLION *twitches* for a guy to play limited backup minutes might actually kickstart Jones. He knows if he doesn't play well as a backup that this may very well be his last year in the league, so I'm expecting .910-.920 from him provided you don't play him more than 20-25 games. I'm hoping the Flyers do some damage this coming season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who knows? However, a number of goalies who had heavy workloads bounced back after their workloads were reduced.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One big difference with Elliot is while Elliott had good starts to the last couple seasons, he soon wore down, I don't think Jones will struggle with a 25-30 game workload.

Reactions: renberg

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Highest SV% in the league for goalies with more than one game played. Won’t last forever, so enjoy it while it you can.

Only saw highlights from last night, but looked similar to his other two starts. Economy of motion, just looks calm and routine.

Lovin' his start! Actually both goalies have been stellar thus far. With top half goaltending, this is a playoff team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Only saw highlights from last night, but looked similar to his other two starts. Economy of motion, just looks calm and routine.

Lovin' his start! Actually both goalies have been stellar thus far. With top half goaltending, this is a playoff team.

Yeah he's been very quiet in net so far and his angles have been flawless. Just getting in position and letting pucks hit him.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Jones was the addition I was most skeptical about this summer. But so far he looks really good. Maybe he's just more comfortable in a backup role. Not every goalie can handle the spotlight.

Reactions: flyersnorth

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Elliott somehow started last season with a 2.03 GAA and .931 sv% through 8 games. This was before they were Poor Defensively.

Elliott broke down b/c with an increased work load his lateral movement became slow as molasses.

Reactions: renberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad