Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Martin Jones (1 Yr - $2M)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
When / if I make it out of La Plage de Bad Tattoos.
My wife's friend and her 'other' are obsessed with the cove(brig)... for a 4x4 and any interest? They're happy to provide to whomever if you are 'our spec'.... just text me beforehand.

Also.... yeah, I'm happy to buy you a drink otherwise. Sanity > Flyers hockey

Reactions: mja

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
It's odd because so much of this offseason is a repeat of clear mistakes the team just went through. At least we finally aren't hearing that nobody has a choice in these matters.

Oh, it's coming. This post already did the legwork:

I will say:

I didn’t want Elliott back at any cost.

I think Halak at age 36 is toast.

Bernier got overpaid at $4M & I don’t think they could afford to give him that.

Raanta is another unreliable, injury-prone Neuvirth type.

Mrazek was one of the worst goalies I’ve ever seen in his Philly stint.

Holtby has been worse than Jones the last two seasons, IMO, & I didn’t like the idea of pairing Hart with his hero. All kinds of psychological implications for a kid who is already way into his own head.

Ullmark? Couldn’t afford him & he was signed as a #1.

Andersen? Was given a clear opportunity to be the #1.

Reimer? Was given a clear opportunity to be the #1.

Broissant or whatever his name is? Has never played a lot & he’s probably not choosing Philly over Vegas, anyway.

Jones? I’m disappointed, but in reality their options weren’t good. The best ones are all in places where they are the #1 or have a clear opportunity for #1. Most have significant questions.

I’ll hope for a Cam Talbot style reclamation of form. But the Flyers may have to hope one of Ersson, Sandstrom, or Ustimenko steps up.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hey, Sharks fan here. From all I know Jones is at least a decent guy. Decent goalie, though, well...

He did have the one postseason when we went to the Finals where he was frequently the best player on the ice on either team. So, either he auctioned his soul for cheap and got 1 playoff run out of it, or there's a good goalie in there SOMEWHERE. Just nowhere near the surface these days, unfortunately.

BTW, here on HF, people frequently took to calling him Jon3s, since he *always* seemed to let in 3 goals, whether he was in there all game or in there for 10 minutes. Best hope I can give you is either a) your goalie coach can fix him, or b) you play him very, very seldom. Because if you do....:scared:

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
The problem with this move is this though. Fletcher didn't read the goalie market very well at all.

I agree that most of the options that signed for similar money to Jones had their share of question marks as well. Holtby has been really bad for two straight years. Raanta can't stay healthy. Brossoit has never played more than 19 games in a season and probably was choosing Vegas over Philly anyway. Halak is 36 and done. Elliot is 36 and done and can't stay healthy. I would have tried to get Reimer over Jones but I have no idea if they were in on him and if he had any interest in coming here.

The issue I have is that he didn't plan accordingly with the cap and make sure he was able to afford to a better option, or go out and find a trade for one. It was supposed to be a higher priority and should have been. I'm not sure it would have made a major difference since the guys who signed for more money went to places where they will get more opportunities to play, but it's Fletcher's job to go out and make things happen and he failed to do that with this.
100% completely and utterly

it is straight up chaos...that a hugely struggling veteran goalie with 3 years left on his contract on a Monday, gets bought out on a Tuesday, and poof! gets signed by Cliff on a Wednesday. for $2mil. is that supposed to be a plan? for a lead executive, and his support staff?

Reactions: Larry44

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
There is some encouraging news on Jones.

2017-2018
upload_2021-7-29_10-11-39.png

2018-2019
upload_2021-7-29_10-12-10.png

2019-2020
upload_2021-7-29_10-12-48.png

2020-2021
upload_2021-7-29_10-13-15.png

I get a strong 'team effect' vibe on goaltending.

So if the team defense can help Hart get back in the .910s, Jones could very well follow.

Or maybe this is all just wishful thinking.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
This is a one-year patch after everything else they tried fell though. They know he’s not good. He’s a warm body who can play 40 if absolutely needed. Only positives are durability and contract length. Plus, Hart shouldn’t have anything else to worry about here, lol.

It is what it is, but this is a retooling year and obviously some things are still a work in progress. See if the top 4 D mesh and the structure is improved and take it from there. Can add a goalie at the deadline if it really seems like it will make a difference. Let’s face it; if Hart craps the bed, they aren’t making the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laveuglette

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There is some encouraging news on Jones.

2017-2018
View attachment 457600

2018-2019
View attachment 457601

2019-2020
View attachment 457602

2020-2021
View attachment 457604

I get a strong 'team effect' vibe on goaltending.

So if the team defense can help Hart get back in the .910s, Jones could very well follow.

Or maybe this is all just wishful thinking.

If they're not both in the .910s they will likely miss the playoffs, and the coach + GM will be in a lot of danger.

I know in 19-20 they made the playoffs with the 1B posting a crappy .899 while starting 27/69 (39%) of the games, but I don't think that will be good enough this season.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Looking around the day after, seems like Jones was the only guy they truly had a shot at. Holtby wanted to stay in the west. Brossoit, Ullmark, and Bernier got too much (Brossoit more in term), Kuemper cost too much from a desperate team in a trade. Halak and on the table for less but he’s also eligible for bonuses.

Just like for Ristolainen, the options were drying up. Unlike with Ristolainen, this is something that could also be easily fixed during the season by making another move. Not that it makes me bullish about a spot where they couldn’t take a big chance, but it is the spot they can be most aggressive to change even though making a change means someone wise had a similar problem.

Reactions: Curufinwe

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Dumped massive amounts of salary this off-season…..still get outpriced for a competent backup goalie, so they sign maybe the worst statistical goalie out there. That’s quality GMing right there. Flat cap.

Ran out of options and was forced to pay double the price of his prior backup on the first day of FA :clap:

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
No no no no!!! There's no way in hell Jones or Ristolainen would have been ANY better on good teams they're both awful.

Here's how it works on HFboards:

Elliott > Jones
Hagg > Ristolainen
Laczynskyi > Thompson
Braun > Ellis
Ghost > Yandl
Patrick > turds
Voracek > Atkinson
Myers > York

Oh yeah and 5 years from now, the best player taken after 12 in this year's draft is the guy we gave up to get Ristolainen so we have to factor in how that guy is a HOF lock.

Braun is better than Ellis? In what universe?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Looking around the day after, seems like Jones was the only guy they truly had a shot at. Holtby wanted to stay in the west. Brossoit, Ullmark, and Bernier got too much (Brossoit more in term), Kuemper cost too much from a desperate team in a trade. Halak and on the table for less but he’s also eligible for bonuses.

Just like for Ristolainen, the options were drying up. Unlike with Ristolainen, this is something that could also be easily fixed during the season by making another move. Not that it makes me bullish about a spot where they couldn’t take a big chance, but it is the spot they can be most aggressive to change even though making a change means someone wise had a similar problem.

I don't think the extra year and extra $325K should have put them off Brossoit if they liked him. I think they were dead set on Jones because he can play a lot of games, and they believe they can fix him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Dumped massive amounts of salary this off-season…..still get outpriced for a competent backup goalie, so they sign maybe the worst statistical goalie out there. That’s quality GMing right there. Flat cap.

I'm still waiting for someone in the media to ask Fletcher why there was no salary retention on Ristolainen from the Sabres who have $29,266,667 in space. Other teams were offering a 1st for him, but they were not offering the 13th overall. Fletcher should have insisted on them retaining 50% as part of the deal. That would have opened up after $2.7m in space for this season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm still waiting for someone in the media to ask Fletcher why there was no salary retention on Ristolainen from the Sabres who have $29,266,667 in space. Other teams were offering a 1st for him, but they were not offering the 13th overall. Fletcher should have insisted on them retaining 50% as part of the deal. That would have opened up after $2.7m in space for this season.

He's not a good negotiator. I think it's that simple. That retention would have made the deal look a lot better.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

HartOfPhilly

Jul 25, 2021

My frustration was that back up Goalie was probably behind only provorov partner as the most important off season move. We decided to address other places and risk it in free agency in a thin market. Considering some the picks seattle made we couldn't of sent a 4th and Nak for them to go take us a back up goalie ? Hardly cost prohibitive. And given the roster now losing NAK wouldn't of meant anything

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well we weren't going to get Perry like I wanted, but you could sign a good depth forward for 1 year at $3m.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
The common theory is a groin injury crippling his lateral mobility, combined with a reduction in pad size.

Jones isn't a very athletic goalie and relies on size and positioning, but his glove is a hole, he can't move across the crease quickly enough, he doesn't control rebounds, he can't read the play well and is not often in the best position to make a stop, and he's not much use with his stick (either pokechecks or playing the puck).

You're basically getting a 6'4" trash can on skates controlled by someone in the press box using a NES controller.
For goalie relaying on his positioning he would flop around and overcommit on the plays like Mrazek. At least that's what I saw back when shorks were playoff threat. Such a nerve-wracking goalie to watch.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think the extra year and extra $325K should have put them off Brossoit if they liked him. I think they were dead set on Jones because he can play a lot of games, and they believe they can fix him.
I actually thought it was 3 years for Brossoit, although it is Vegas, they could dump him for cap reasons before he even gets into a game.

I don’t think they were ‘dead set’ on him though, they were in on a lot of rumors.

Columbus won’t be good and they got 2 guys both UFA so that’s worth watching, they’ve been open to trading either one.

Reactions: Rebels57

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
My frustration was that back up Goalie was probably behind only provorov partner as the most important off season move. We decided to address other places and risk it in free agency in a thin market. Considering some the picks seattle made we couldn't of sent a 4th and Nak for them to go take us a back up goalie ? Hardly cost prohibitive. And given the roster now losing NAK wouldn't of meant anything
Seattle just wasn’t interested in helping anyone out. Except Columbus evidently.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
If they're not both in the .910s they will likely miss the playoffs, and the coach + GM will be in a lot of danger.

I know in 19-20 they made the playoffs with the 1B posting a crappy .899 while starting 27/69 (39%) of the games, but I don't think that will be good enough this season.
I have zero hope for our special teams to be a difference maker too. Basically it all comes down to our top line and top pair to will them into a playoffs just like we've gotten accustomed to.

HartOfPhilly

Jul 25, 2021
Seattle just wasn’t interested in helping anyone out. Except Columbus evidently.

They weren't interested in taking on salary. Nak was their target from us. They could of had him for a back up G they didn't even want and they clearly love their 4th rounders.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I'll add this here...

The worst move: Martin Jones to the Flyers
Take a goalie who was sub-replacement over the last three seasons (minus-6.7 goals saved above average) with San Jose and put him in a market that devours goalies like they were sauced up flats at the Wing Bowl. (Also, RIP the Wing Bowl.) After last season, Carter Hart needed a safety net. This one has a (five) hole in it.

That's from ESPN ... How long has it been since they really covered NHL Hockey? Pretty damning of a quote with how long it's been since NHL was on their radar.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad