Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Martin Jones (1 Yr - $2M)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Honestly, even if he reverts back to what everyone expected for the rest of the season, I'd still call this a win. He has already done his job by not blowing it against the Bruins and Caps. That's two points against a Division rival and two against potential WC rival. He didn't necessarily play out of his mind in either game (and we scored a ton in the Bruins game) but anyone who says they didn't expect him to blow the Caps game in the last ten minutes when the Caps were pressuring him is either lying or crazy, even if he wasn't exactly making highlight reel saves.

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If he reverts back he’s going to cost us a whole lot more points than those two wins gained us.

In other words, definitely not a win. Especially since we’re unlikely to be battling those two teams for a playoff spot.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why would Jones revert back?
It's not like his current play is the product of unsustainable athleticism.
It's primarily the product of good positioning and anticipation.

Obviously he's not going to sustain this level of play, any more than Bob will for Florida, but nothing he's doing is difficult to repeat, just play under control, don't give up Mr Softee's, position yourself correctly.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Jones has been a pleasant surprise but Elliott was solid for stretches when used as a back-up. The fact that Hart is looking back to form is key so Jones doesn't get overused and exposed.
Elliott was a solid backup until age caught up with him. Jones is 5 years younger. For a goalie he's still in his prime. I think unlike Elliott Jones physically can handle a harder workload. It's the mental pressure of being the starting goalie on a contender that was his main issue.

Reactions: dats81

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If he reverts back he’s going to cost us a whole lot more points than those two wins gained us.

In other words, definitely not a win. Especially since we’re unlikely to be battling those two teams for a playoff spot.
But he was expected to be hot garbage all year. Two wins against division/WC opponents, one of which he was a major part of and another he faced 40 shots and still one was likely not on anyone's bingo card.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Elliott has been slightly better on a per minute basis.

upload_2022-2-25_9-29-34.png

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem with Elliott has always been how many minutes before he breaks down.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Jones has been fine, I mean, he's a backup goalie, he's performing about where you'd expect a top backup goalie to perform.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I was surprised to hear last night that his SO record was so good. Jones is now 19-9 with a .774 SV%. That is the 6th best Career SO SV% of goalies with at least 10 SO GP.

Reactions: Audible Velvet

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was surprised to hear last night that his SO record was so good. Jones is now 19-9 with a .774 SV%. That is the 6th best Career SO SV% of goalies with at least 10 SO GP.

How did DiPietro play long enough to have 30 shootouts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad