Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Free Agent RW Aaron Palushaj (5-11, 188 lbs)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But of all those players you listed, only Jones is a center. Maybe I'm missing someone, but if Laughton is on the Flyer the only signed center the Flyers have is Cousins.

Hextall's probably going to sign some centers then as I don't think Martel is a center at the pro level & Baudreau probably isn't either.

He'll probably look for veteran guys like Jones & Powe who are versatile in regards to where the play in the lineup.

Last edited:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I went to 6 or 7 games and you're absolutely right. Guys like Hextall, Rosehill, and Stortini were in the box more than they were out of it when I was there. I don't know if that was just by my luck but I'm guessing with Rosehill and Stortini's track record their penalty minutes for the season would reflect that too. Palushaj definitely seems like more of a skill guy than an enforcer though so he should help in Allentown.

nothing wrong with having one guy like that in your lineup every night. problem is they had too much stupid in their lineup. Was never really a fan of Hextall. Saw enough of his stupid crap when he was in Portland. But I would imagine he sticks around. Wouldn't lose any sleep of Rosehill and Stortini were told your services are no longer needed.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Thanks for invading Ukraine and ruining your economy, Putin. :laugh:

Ukraine isn't exactly some innocent bystander in that conflict either. Not a fan of Putin for autocratic reasons but Ukraine and their government isn't exactly faultless...but it is neither here nor there.

The conflict is most unfortunate for the civilians on both sides...

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Wait, so now you're fine with a guy who had trouble cracking an NHL lineup and decided to spend a year in the KHL?

Interesting. :p:

As a depth callup at a position where we have no depth...sure. Signing a guy of that caliber to be on the NHL roster at a position where we have a more than full NHL roster of players that fill that role, plus guys in the minors that can fill that role...not so much.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I have no issue with this signing. He is a 4th liner/AHL callup. As others have said, he likely replaces another tweener.

Viller

Mar 24, 2007
Ukraine isn't exactly some innocent bystander in that conflict either. Not a fan of Putin for autocratic reasons but Ukraine and their government isn't exactly faultless...but it is neither here nor there.

The conflict is most unfortunate for the civilians on both sides...

Both sides... Unless you consider Russian soldiers going to illegaly fight in Ukraine, as citizens... Only one side is "losing" ...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall's probably going to sign some centers then as I don't think Martel is a center at the pro level & Baudreau probably isn't either.

He'll probably look for veteran guys like Jones & Powe who are versatile in regards to where the play in the lineup.

I wonder if Jones and Powe being injured so much means he'll look elsewhere.

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA
nothing wrong with having one guy like that in your lineup every night. problem is they had too much stupid in their lineup. Was never really a fan of Hextall. Saw enough of his stupid crap when he was in Portland. But I would imagine he sticks around. Wouldn't lose any sleep of Rosehill and Stortini were told your services are no longer needed.

I agree completely. And you throw in Fyten too and it's just a bunch of goons/undisciplined players so that leads to the lineup being a complete mess, especially when they spread those guys out and there's basically a useless player who is likely to take a penalty on every line. But either way I think this signing should help that situation.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
They have Akeson, Gordon, Jones, Rosehill, & Stortini up for new contracts so I don't think it means anything in regards to where Martel or Bardreau play. I think Palushja is just a replacement for one of the first three guys.

Now the Flyers have:

Centre/Wing:

Martel
Bardreau

Wing:

Leier
Straka
Palushaj
Goulbourne
Alderson
Mathers

signed at forward next year who will very likely play for the Phantoms. If Martel & Bardreau are both playing wing that means they have 8 wingers and no centers, maybe Cousins but I think he has a good shot at making the Flyers on the 4th line. I mean... they are going to pick up some centers whatever.

The top 3 lines wingers are going to look pretty nice by how things are shaping up anyway.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I agree completely. And you throw in Fyten too and it's just a bunch of goons/undisciplined players so that leads to the lineup being a complete mess, especially when they spread those guys out and there's basically a useless player who is likely to take a penalty on every line. But either way I think this signing should help that situation.

don't get me wrong. I think they should have a physical team. you can be physical and not be stupid.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Both sides... Unless you consider Russian soldiers going to illegaly fight in Ukraine, as citizens... Only one side is "losing" ...

Not going to get into it on a hockey forum but that is a one-sided view and not accurate at all for those who have been following the details of that conflict. Ukraine has been illegally and indiscriminately bombing civilian areas...so they are not some innocent bystander/victim in the conflict as portrayed in a lot of Western media outlets. I'm not taking sides other than the side of the truth and the conflict is not as easy as saying Russia is the sole aggressor.

Anyway...I have spoken my "peace..." nothing further to add other than to return to the topic at hand

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Phantoms need help scoring. would help if they got players who stayed out of the box all the time.

They most assuredly need a roster where Zack Stortini is not on any power play unit for any reason whatsoever.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
How the hell do you pronounce this guy's name?

I reckon 'Palu-sarge'. (but sarge being with a UK based way of pronouncing the shortened form of sergeant, ie without the elongation you Yanks use! ;p)

I think it is Albanian by the names construction. And the end of the names ending in 'Saj' in Albanian sound like that.

(My University is in a City with a big Albanian population.)

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I reckon 'Palu-sarge'. (but sarge being with a UK based way of pronouncing the shortened form of sergeant, ie without the elongation you Yanks use! ;p)

I think it is Albanian by the names construction. And the end of the names ending in 'Saj' in Albanian sound like that.

(My University is in a City with a big Albanian population.)
How many ice cream shops and fruit stands are there with bad misspellings? :D

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Now the Flyers have:

Centre/Wing:

Martel
Bardreau

Wing:

Leier
Straka
Palushaj
Goulbourne
Alderson
Mathers

signed at forward next year who will very likely play for the Phantoms. If Martel & Bardreau are both playing wing that means they have 8 wingers and no centers, maybe Cousins but I think he has a good shot at making the Flyers on the 4th line. I mean... they are going to pick up some centers whatever.

The top 3 lines wingers are going to look pretty nice by how things are shaping up anyway.

Goulbourne played center quite a bit, IIRC. Cousins is not going to make the Flyers out of camp, I don't think.

With VandeVelde, Bellemare and White as the 4th line, all 3 can play C. There is no room for Cousins in the lineup over those guys.

Palushaj is a decent depth signing. A fire hydrant for the Phantoms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad