Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Derick Brassard 1yr $825k (August 2021)

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
On the surface, I don't mind the move. But it raises more questions than answers.

Gonna be a really interesting training camp.

Reactions: captainpaxil

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They have him there because they still haven't been completely broken by this franchise's ineptitude. Hope is a hell of a drug.
Well he also only played 2 games last year. The margin of error this season is zero, they’re not taking chances in case they can’t rely on him.

Jason Myrtetus seems to think this means NAK is getting moved though.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost isn't competing with Brassard or Thompson, for him it's 3C or bust.

One possibility is that Thompson might end up on the Phantoms for most of the season, depending on Laczynski's health and J Cates in camp.
Could be that he's being slotted as a future assistant coach and he might accept the role of mentor in LHV and a "break glass" insurance policy.

Really won't know until the end of camp. But can't see Brassard or Thompson on anything but the 4th line, though one could play at LW there.

"For one-way players who are paid $1.075 million or less (the NHL minimum salary plus $375,000), they can be re-assigned to the AHL and have none of their salary count towards the cap."

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Must be a good dressing room player. That's all we hear now. For a team that was supposed to implement the youth we sure are going backwards.

I mean, the youth kind of sucked.

Last year, I'd say only Farabee played at a high level.

Hopefully it was just one of those once-in-a-generation garbage years where nothing clicks and everything goes wrong.

This will be a very different team, and hopefully a successful one!

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Frost isn't competing with Brassard or Thompson, for him it's 3C or bust.

One possibility is that Thompson might end up on the Phantoms for most of the season, depending on Laczynski's health and J Cates in camp.
Could be that he's being slotted as a future assistant coach and he might accept the role of mentor in LHV and a "break glass" insurance policy.

Really won't know until the end of camp. But can't see Brassard or Thompson on anything but the 4th line, though one could play at LW there.

"For one-way players who are paid $1.075 million or less (the NHL minimum salary plus $375,000), they can be re-assigned to the AHL and have none of their salary count towards the cap."
STOP just stop... Brassard can be the 3C. You don't know the plans. If this team breaks camp with Coots/Hayes/Brassard/Thompson at C we are f***ed. And it's completely in the possible end games at the end of camp.

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
I mean, the youth kind of sucked.

Last year, I'd say only Farabee played at a high level.

Hopefully it was just one of those once-in-a-generation garbage years where nothing clicks and everything goes wrong.

This will be a very different team, and hopefully a successful one!

So you don''t think guys like Frost and York should have been starters this year.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I was trying to decide which was the better gif to sum up Fletcher's team building. On one hand, I like this one because it reflects the "shoot poop at the wall and see what sticks" methodology:
BlushingSpicyAustrianpinscher-max-1mb.gif

On the other hand, this one better reflects the cyclical nature of crap begetting more crap.
Icchadhari-Tatti.gif

Then I thought about it and said "Is it even worth caring?"

So I leave the choice to you all. Or take both. Or neither. It's fine.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If you signed Brassard and passed on Nate I kind of would have dug this signing. Now with both in the fold it means no Frost on the roster and no L-ski on the roster.

For sure. Brassard is still twice the player Tater Thomps is. Problem of course is that we know both are lineup locks and that is a big problem. Especially on the road.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
STOP just stop... Brassard can be the 3C. You don't know the plans. If this team breaks camp with Coots/Hayes/Brassard/Thompson at C we are f***ed. And it's completely in the possible end games at the end of camp.

Brassard is not going to be the 3C, they'd put Laughton there first if Frost can't handle the job.
Lindblom - Laughton - Farabee or Farabee - Laughton - Allison would not be the worst 3rd line in the NHL.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

f*** yeah put NAK where he belongs baby WOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I was trying to decide which was the better gif to sum up Fletcher's team building. On one hand, I like this one because it reflects the "shoot poop at the wall and see what sticks" methodology:
BlushingSpicyAustrianpinscher-max-1mb.gif

On the other hand, this one better reflects the cyclical nature of crap begetting more crap.
Icchadhari-Tatti.gif

Then I thought about it and said "Is it even worth caring?"

So I leave the choice to you all. Or take both. Or neither. It's fine.
Number 1. Fletch is just throwing crap together without a coherent long term plan.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
f*** yeah put NAK where he belongs baby WOOOOOOOO!!!!!

NAK was pretty bad last season, he shouldn't be given a starting job, he's not that young anymore, with 95 NHL games, and 248 AHL games under his belt, time to put up or shut up. There is no longer upside to bet on, just what you actually do on the ice.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The margin for error is zero. There can be no messing around this season using a top prospect.

A couple washed up bottom 6 centers screams, “This is our moment.”

"Is a depth forward" is phenomenal. Not a defensively good depth player, not a depth player who can chip in some offense. Just "is a depth forward".

Good luck in 2022-23 on your new team, G and Coots.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
NAK was pretty bad last season, he shouldn't be given a starting job, he's not that young anymore, with 95 NHL games, and 248 AHL games under his belt, time to put up or shut up. There is no longer upside to bet on, just what you actually do on the ice.

I hated NAK, then thought I was wrong about him two seasons ago, and then realized I was probably right after all after watching him last season. So I'm back to deriding him. If you're going to take 22 f***ing minor penalties, you better have more than 3 f***ing goals to offer over the course of 50 games. I'll take Brassard over him in the lineup sight unseen, and I'd rather give Allison a long look than give NAK a shot to redeem himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad