Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Dale Weise 4 x $2.35

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
Sounds like he's a good depth player that can step up the lineup if there's injury. Said he liked Ron Hextalls no BS approach :)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'd imagine with this contract he'll primarily be on the third line & on the 2PP unit. He's just more versatile than White which is nice.

He really hammered home the point that he scored 14 goals last year all at ES without getting a lot of PP time in his interview on the NHL Network. So he thinks he can do better with expanded role.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
On NHLN he said he was on his way to a 20 goal season in Montreal with limited PP time, and said he's happy to play anywhere but could quite easily slide into the top 6 if there were injuries.

Said he was treated as an "insurance bonus" in Chicago and wasn't given much of an opportunity there which may have hurt his value as a free agent.

Also said Subban is one of his best friends and he was shocked by the trade.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
One thing that concerns me about Weise is that his only real 3rd line production came from two season in Montreal. Everywhere else in the rest of his career, including Chicago last season, his production is almost nil. I didn't see him play much so I can't speak to which is more accurate of him, but if he can produce like he did in Montreal then an awesome deal. If not, bad deal. Pretty straightforward really. For the record though, I'd bet on the former instead of the latter if I had to bet.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's kind of a shaky leg to stand on, but Weise came though huge for the Habs in the playoffs at times. I think he had one OT winner set up by Briere, another one where he had both goals in an OT win vs. Ottawa. Might've scored and got an assist in that Game 7 in Boston as well. I was interested in Weise when he was starting to get pass around the league via waivers and middling trades. The cost is a bit high, but I believe it'll be worthwhile.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Weise is uglier for sure.

If White and Weise were put side by side, Weise wins it 10/10 times. White got hit with the ugly stick, but Weise fell down the ugly tree and hit every branch

White's foot is better lookin than Weise...sheesh..what a mug.

Anyway..pretty good signing. No qualms..

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
That salary structure is really smart too, very savvy. Minimizes the risk a lot so I don't really care about the length being as long as it is.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'd imagine with this contract he'll primarily be on the third line & on the 2PP unit. He's just more versatile than White which is nice.

He really hammered home the point that he scored 14 goals last year all at ES without getting a lot of PP time in his interview on the NHL Network. So he thinks he can do better with expanded role.

He lied. He had 11 ES goals.

http://naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?season=20152016&stype=2&sit=ev&v=s&playerid=8474668

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think he lied. He used the phrase "in limited powerplay time", which was accurate.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
One thing that concerns me about Weise is that his only real 3rd line production came from two season in Montreal. Everywhere else in the rest of his career, including Chicago last season, his production is almost nil. I didn't see him play much so I can't speak to which is more accurate of him, but if he can produce like he did in Montreal then an awesome deal. If not, bad deal. Pretty straightforward really. For the record though, I'd bet on the former instead of the latter if I had to bet.

That production came during his time on the top 6, not on the 3rd line. He got an obscene amount of TOI with Pacioretty.

Weise isn't scoring 20 goals, if he does I'll go see my barber and ask him to shave his name into my head.

What you will get with him is a great 3rd liner that can put up around 20-30 points a year and contribute well on the PK. Don't make the mistake of putting him on the PP, he has hands of stone.

The only time he starts lighting it up or making nice passes is when it matters most, he's stepped up big in the playoffs with the habs, and not just on the scoreboard. If he doesn't put up points, you'll get solid effort from him, in the form of forechecking, poise and some light physicality. Playoff warrior.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think his ceiling is probably 15g, 30 points or so with good possession numbers, he could fill in the top 6 the way Raffl does, especially with Ghost on the ice, but his best fit is the 3rd line, and he skates well enough to see if he has a role on PK groups.

I can see him and Laughton (who I think will improve as he gets stronger) would be a good pair for Cousins, both with good size and the speed to forecheck and get the puck to Cousins in the O-zone where he can make plays.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
That production came during his time on the top 6, not on the 3rd line. He got an obscene amount of TOI with Pacioretty.

Weise isn't scoring 20 goals, if he does I'll go see my barber and ask him to shave his name into my head.

What you will get with him is a great 3rd liner that can put up around 20-30 points a year and contribute well on the PK. Don't make the mistake of putting him on the PP, he has hands of stone.

The only time he starts lighting it up or making nice passes is when it matters most, he's stepped up big in the playoffs with the habs, and not just on the scoreboard. If he doesn't put up points, you'll get solid effort from him, in the form of forechecking, poise and some light physicality. Playoff warrior.

Thanks very much for the insight.

Those sound ideal for our team. Need quality bottom six players to take the PK loads and to contribute some scoring. If that's what the case will be then I can't ask for more. He might end up getting a shot at the 2nd unit PP though, we'll see.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
1 year too long for my liking, but I can live with the 4th year. He was sought after and he is a player that helps improve the bottom 6 by a good margin.
definitely seems like a type of player Hextall looks for in a 3rd line winger.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Doesn't seem like he PKed much in Montreal (23 seconds per game) but we already have have six or seven PKing forwards.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Given what the other teams have done today in terms of handing out term I'm OK with Weise given a 4th year but I can't say that I like it.

Nice addition though.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Doesn't seem like he PKed much in Montreal (23 seconds per game) but we already have have six or seven PKing forwards.

0:36 but you're right, not much. 7th most in forwards that year but he's not bad defensively. Habs just had a lot of defensive forwards (Plekanec, Pacioretty, Eller and Moen specifically). He's a good stop gap if a PK forward is in the box I suppose.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Weise showed in Montreal that he had a very good idea of where to be to score goals. He was around the net, slid into openings for quick shots, etc. He's more of a shooter than a passer, so that complements players like Giroux and Voracek, if ever Weise is called on to play some first- or second-line wing.

I like the idea of him getting some PP2 time, sine he has better hands around the net than White.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Pacioretty was his 8th most common linemate this season and he only assisted on 2 (both secondary) of Weise's goals. Little unfair to suggest he got an obscene amount of time in the top 6 when he averaged 11 and 12 minutes of ES ice time a game the last 2 seasons.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Pacioretty was his 8th most common linemate this season and he only assisted on 2 (both secondary) of Weise's goals. Little unfair to suggest he got an obscene amount of time in the top 6 when he averaged 11 and 12 minutes of ES ice time a game the last 2 seasons.

That had more to do with the 29 point 2014-15 season, where Pacioretty was in on 15/29 points Weise got. And 14/29 where Subban was in on. Couldn't tell you about the goals he specifically scored, I'll have to look that up.

In 2015-16 it was definitely less because MT starting putting Galchenyuk/Gallagher next to Patches. Weise had insanely good chemistry with Fleishman and Desharnais. I think Subban and Markov played a lot with that line, I'm willing to bet they assisted on more than a handful of his goals

edit: I'm not knocking on Weise here, I'm just saying a lot of his production is due to 1st line or 1st pairing players...he's capable of playing without them too, he is adaptable and can play on almost any line. He's been shuffled from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd line the past 2 years, and I think he was on the 4th line on the hawks.

Last edited:

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
obligatory gif

dale-weise.gif

Reactions: Beef Invictus

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That had more to do with the 29 point 2014-15 season, where Pacioretty was in on 15/29 points Weise got. And 14/29 where Subban was in on. Couldn't tell you about the goals he specifically scored, I'll have to look that up.

In 2015-16 it was definitely less because MT starting putting Galchenyuk/Gallagher next to Patches. Weise had insanely good chemistry with Fleishman and Desharnais

Yeah just looking at the numbers he definitely played a lot more with Pacioretty in 14/15. As an optimistic Flyers fan it was nice to see him produce (in Montreal at least) away from Pacioretty last year and at ES.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad