Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Dale Weise 4 x $2.35

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I don't mean to be negative but I'm surprised no one has brought up the obvious fact that White was Hexy's preference. Makes it hard to be too optimistic about Weise. I suppose Hexy would have liked White for significantly less than he gave Weise, and may have decided to spend a little extra for an upgrade. A different team dynamic rather than a straight lateral move resulting from negotiations not panning out with White. But I guess we'll never know unless Hexy comes out and tells the media his thinking in that regard.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't mean to be negative but I'm surprised no one has brought up the obvious fact that White was Hexy's preference. Makes it hard to be too optimistic about Weise. I suppose Hexy would have liked White for significantly less than he gave Weise, and may have decided to spend a little extra for an upgrade. A different team dynamic rather than a straight lateral move resulting from negotiations not panning out with White. But I guess we'll never know unless Hexy comes out and tells the media his thinking in that regard.

My guess is White overplayed his hand & asked for too much. White signed on later in the day for not a whole lot with Arizona. I would imagine the the attraction of bringing back White back was that Hextall thought he could get him back relatively cheap.

Weise said the Flyers were one of the first teams to contact him & really show a lot of interest. It was reported he had about 12 or so teams after him too.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He could have still signed Weise if White had taken a fair deal to stay here, i.e. 1 year at $1m.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

You don't sign Weise for 4 years if you are not sold on the player. Weise was the player Hextall was targeting.

As far as White is concerned I assume Hextall could not guarantee him any playing time. He probably wanted him back as a 12th/13th foward to battle it out with VDV for the last roster spot.

x15Kotkaniemi15x

May 22, 2011
Toronto
I'd imagine with this contract he'll primarily be on the third line & on the 2PP unit. He's just more versatile than White which is nice.

He really hammered home the point that he scored 14 goals last year all at ES without getting a lot of PP time in his interview on the NHL Network. So he thinks he can do better with expanded role.

Not sure about this, Montreal used to throw him out on the first PP unit with Desharanais and Pacioretty all the time

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Not sure about this, Montreal used to throw him out on the first PP unit with Desharanais and Pacioretty all the time

Naw. He wont get up on there. He wont replace Giroux, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, or Ghost. They are all better options than Weise is

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
My guess is White overplayed his hand & asked for too much. White signed on later in the day for not a whole lot with Arizona. I would imagine the the attraction of bringing back White back was that Hextall thought he could get him back relatively cheap.

Weise said the Flyers were one of the first teams to contact him & really show a lot of interest. It was reported he had about 12 or so teams after him too.

Yeah, White must've asked for more term and Hexy balked, then gave the term to Weise. Assuming that if White had signed early, they still would have gone after Weise but then not Gordon. There was certainly no need for all three...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

This doesn't make much sense.

Obviously Hextall views Weise as a MUCH better player, or he wouldn't have given him a 4 x $2.35 contract when White was only asking for $1 million.

Gordon is a replacement for White.

Weise is a replacement for Gagner.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm skeptical that White ever was really Hextall's preference. I think he preferred Weise (as the faster and better player) and Gordon (for better upgrading faceoffs and the PK).

If he really wanted White, he wouldn't have balked at giving him only 50k more than Gordon.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Weise is an excellent 4th liner who is smart, a bit tough, good checker. He can be moved up lines to replace guys if needed.

The best thing about him is his soft hands, and he executes when he gets chances. He can receive passes well, deflect shots, and bury chances unlike a lot of 3rd and 4th liners. For best results put him with a good setup man. In Montreal his best moments were with a washed up Danny Briere on the 4th line, who although way too slow was still a smart passer and hit Weise who buried them. Also he had good moments with Desharnais, another kind of weak player but good passer.

Montreal's staff kind of had this figured out, but the Canadiens have a 4th line that has an emphasis of smarts (defensive and some offensive) over a hard hitting line. I think Chicago just wanted him to be a grinder which didn't produce many results.

Hopefully the Flyer's front office has a plan for him, I assume so because that's a big contract. Maybe he can find chemistry with Couturier.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I guess that it means he could work well together with Cousins.

I don't think it's a possibility that he plays with Couturier unless there is a injury. Couturier should have either Schenn or Voracek on RW, and I assume Weise is strictly RW, or can he play LW effectively, too? If so, he could possibly replace Raffl, and we could have combination of Weise-Couturier-Schenn/Voracek.

Btw. thanks for your input.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Weise is an excellent 4th liner who is smart, a bit tough, good checker. He can be moved up lines to replace guys if needed.

The best thing about him is his soft hands, and he executes when he gets chances. He can receive passes well, deflect shots, and bury chances unlike a lot of 3rd and 4th liners. For best results put him with a good setup man. In Montreal his best moments were with a washed up Danny Briere on the 4th line, who although way too slow was still a smart passer and hit Weise who buried them. Also he had good moments with Desharnais, another kind of weak player but good passer.

Montreal's staff kind of had this figured out, but the Canadiens have a 4th line that has an emphasis of smarts (defensive and some offensive) over a hard hitting line. I think Chicago just wanted him to be a grinder which didn't produce many results.

Hopefully the Flyer's front office has a plan for him, I assume so because that's a big contract. Maybe he can find chemistry with Couturier.

Doubt he gets to play with Couturier barring injuries tbh... as a RW first and foremost he has Simmonds & Voracek/Schenn ahead of him on the RW. Schenn/Voracek will be one of the top 6 LWs and likely Raffl the other.

I think once Konecny is up (maybe this year but likely next) Weise & Raffl are the 3rd line wingers with probably one of Cousins or Laughton as the C... which has the potential to be a good line. Depending on who is taken in expansion ofc.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Having nothing to do with White (who Weise is clearly better than) the 4th year could be a clever hedge by Hextall to give the Flyers a forward to expose to a 2nd expansion draft who is not a core player or a developing prospect. Losing veteran bottom-6 winger would be the easiest pill to swallow, while protecting the team from any penalties.

Same reason why AMac is the logical 6th D this year. Like Weise, good enough to play games in the NHL (yes, really), but not someone you would cry about losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad