Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Chris Stewart To One Way Deal ($750k Base + $50k Bonus)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
JVR and Voracek are good players who demonstrate they belong. Braun has done so overall too. Same for Pitlick.

When Stewart plays over a prospect, he is in fact blocking prospects. He sucked in his tryout period. Damned near every prospect was a superior player. Inferior players blocking better, younger players is an issue. Pointing at guys like JVR and Voracek? That's laughable.

Kyle Criscuolo was better than Chris Stewart in camp.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JVR and Voracek are good players who demonstrate they belong. Braun has done so overall too. Same for Pitlick.

When Stewart plays over a prospect, he is in fact blocking prospects. He sucked in his tryout period. Damned near every prospect was a superior player. Inferior players blocking better, younger players is an issue. Pointing at guys like JVR and Voracek? That's laughable.

The only prospect Stewart is playing over is Bunnaman, and in 3 games Bunnaman did zilch - if Stewart does anything positive, like a secondary assist, he'll have outperformed Bunnaman.

The other prospects lost out to Bunnaman - boy, are we in trouble. :sarcasm:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The only prospect Stewart is playing over is Bunnaman, and in 3 games Bunnaman did zilch - if Stewart does anything positive, like a secondary assist, he'll have outperformed Bunnaman.

The other prospects lost out to Bunnaman - boy, are we in trouble. :sarcasm:

You aren't aware of our prospect system? Bunnaman is the only one you know of?

I don't know why else you could possibly believe the only options are Bunny or Stewart for that spot, otherwise.

Reactions: Striiker

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You aren't aware of our prospect system? Bunnaman is the only one you know of?

I don't know why else you could possibly believe the only options are Bunny or Stewart for that spot, otherwise.

• Joel Farabee
  • Morgan Frost
  • German Rubtsov
  • Nicolas Aube-Kubel
  • Mikhail Vorobyev

All better bottom 6 options right this very second and there's no justification for Stewart in the bottom 6 over any of them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bunnaman beat out the other prospects in TC.
So Stewart is replacing Bunnaman in the lineup.

The other prospects were sent back because it was deemed they needed to be deep fried and marinated.

Seriously, if AV thought Farabee and Frost - RIGHT NOW - were significantly better than other options they'd be on the Flyers.
At some point they'll have shown they're NHL ready in LHV and will be promoted.

This isn't a Flyer thing, it's a NHL thing, veterans win ties for the bottom six because you want your most talented players in the top six in the AHL, than buried at the bottom of the roster in the NHL in roles they may be ill-suited to fill.

It's different with Twarynski and Bunnaman, their future, like NAK, Vorobyev and most prospects, will be bottom six energy players.
So you give them a chance to sink or swim in the same role they're going to fill in any case.

I mean Farabee could be a 4th line checker (though he'd get bounced around like a pinball), but what would be the point?
In that role he's not going to give you more than say Pitlick.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I love how were talking that lineups can change, but acting like we cant change them right now.

Twar put of place as a 3rw? Great, I've got just the solution for that! Put Farabee there.

Oh wow, now Twar can go down to 4LW where he belongs, and Raffl can go to RW.

Weird how none of this involves signing Stewart AND let's Farabee get meaningful game time, which he CLEARLY earned in pre season.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
To the bolded: No they don't. There are plenty to choose from already. I love that defending this move requires pretending the team is in a situation that they aren't, it really says a lot.

He was getting outmuscled by AHL players. It's a bit beyond "Just needs to get his timing back!" He was also absurdly slow. This after supposedly getting himself into phenomenal shape. There isn't any amount of timing adjustment that will compensate for his slugfeet.

Oh, and I remember when people like you scoffed whenever Holmgren made moves like this. Then next thing you know those moves had added up to hamstring the team, exactly as predicted. Nothing has been learned. The same people don't understand that in this era you don't just sign garbage washed-up players for no reason.
They prefer Stewart to Bunnaman & their other AHL low-minute options. They don’t want their top prospects getting pigeonholed into a low-minute, bottom of the lineup NHL role when they can be getting big minutes in a prime role working on their games in the AHL. Surely you can understand that reasoning, no?

And making a big ordeal about the team preferring Stewart to Bunnaman — I just don’t get it. Bunnaman is invisible, & in fact made a horrible play last game that I believe cost them a goal, or at least could have. He’s only a second year pro. It’s probably better for him to develop in the AHL than be a spare part, anyway.

Stewart is simply cheap depth. It’s not costing them anything. They like him in the locker room, they like his size, his hands aren’t bad, & he allows them to have 13 forwards. There will inevitably be injuries in addition to Patrick. And Stewart is easy to waive if needed. It’s not hamstringing the team at all.

You keep saying he got outmuscled by AHL players.... What, because one guy landed a nice hit on him in his first NHL action in over a year? Big deal. He then beat his ass. Wasn’t outmuscled there. He wasn’t getting shoved around — he’s hard to move. So I don’t know what you’re talking about other than exaggerating based on one good hit.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Bunnaman beat out the other prospects in TC.
So Stewart is replacing Bunnaman in the lineup.

The other prospects were sent back because it was deemed they needed to be deep fried and marinated.

Seriously, if AV thought Farabee and Frost - RIGHT NOW - were significantly better than other options they'd be on the Flyers.
At some point they'll have shown they're NHL ready in LHV and will be promoted.

This isn't a Flyer thing, it's a NHL thing, veterans win ties for the bottom six because you want your most talented players in the top six in the AHL, than buried at the bottom of the roster in the NHL in roles they may be ill-suited to fill.

It's different with Twarynski and Bunnaman, their future, like NAK, Vorobyev and most prospects, will be bottom six energy players.
So you give them a chance to sink or swim in the same role they're going to fill in any case.

I mean Farabee could be a 4th line checker (though he'd get bounced around like a pinball), but what would be the point?
In that role he's not going to give you more than say Pitlick.

And every other prospect beat out Stewart, so why is he the replacement?

You're acting like AV and Fletcher are infallible beings who do not make errors. Here's the thing: They aren't. They can make mistakes. They can overvalue poor traits; we know AV can do this because of his love affair with Glass. We know Fletcher can do this because he brought in a bundle of garbage players to compete for an obsolete role he things we have to have; we do not need to have it.

Just because a bunch of teams do a stupid thing, doesn't make the thing any less stupid. Which successful NHL teams have a years-long habit of holding back younger, better players so washed up vets can drag the team down?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They prefer Stewart to Bunnaman & their other AHL low-minute options. They don’t want their top prospects getting pigeonholed into a low-minute, bottom of the lineup NHL role when they can be getting big minutes in a prime role working on their games in the AHL. Surely you can understand that reasoning, no?

Plenty of prospects get into the NHL in the bottom six, so that doesn't make any sense; guys who you expect to start in the top 6 do not have to always and forever be in the top 6 from day 1. They can very easily shuffle the roster around to get him 3rd line minutes. There is no need for Stewart. That these kind of mental contortions are required, that it is necessary to pretend that lineups aren't easily fluid, is bizarre. And it's something that you and DH have only recently latched on to. Specifically to pretend that there's some role here that has to exist. It does not.

And making a big ordeal about the team preferring Stewart to Bunnaman — I just don’t get it. Bunnaman is invisible, & in fact made a horrible play last game that I believe cost them a goal, or at least could have. He’s only a second year pro. It’s probably better for him to develop in the AHL than be a spare part, anyway.

Nobody besides maybe CDP is making a big deal out of Bunny sitting. Most people agree he hasn't fit in. The issue is that they are preferring Stewart to any number of superior players

That is, and always has been, the problem with their idiotic attachment to a bad player for no good reason at all.

Stewart is simply cheap depth. It’s not costing them anything. They like him in the locker room, they like his size, his hands aren’t bad, & he allows them to have 13 forwards. There will inevitably be injuries in addition to Patrick. And Stewart is easy to waive if needed. It’s not hamstringing the team at all.

It is costing them cap space (which we aren't swimming in) and it means we only have 3 contract slots to play around with. Locker room presence is overrated, we have tons of leadership and veterans. He doesn't do anything on the ice. We have numerous players who can step in for injured players. His cap hit and contract are limiting; if he ever touches the ice, he becomes directly damaging to the roster. That is hamstringing the team.

You keep saying he got outmuscled by AHL players.... What, because one guy landed a nice hit on him in his first NHL action in over a year? Big deal. He then beat his ass. Wasn’t outmuscled there. He wasn’t getting shoved around — he’s hard to move. So I don’t know what you’re talking about other than exaggerating based on one good hit.

No, because he kept losing board battles and foot races to AHLers. Because he tried throwing several hits on AHL players and they shrugged him off.

You must have watched the wrong player, because your description of his performance is pure fantasy. Since you've stated that you believe plurality of opinion is important, I must point out to you that damned near everyone disagrees with your assessment.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
"Roles"

giphy.gif

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Absolutely anyone could have signed him for anything by now.

Fletcher manages to overpay on a player there is zero demand for.

Well thank god minor moves don’t matter.

It’s f***ing laughable. This many years out of a rebuild and somehow the organization feels that they have nothing better at this time, or couldn’t find anything better in the summer - than Chris Stewart.

Pathetic.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well thank god minor moves don’t matter.

It’s ****ing laughable. This many years out of a rebuild and somehow the organization feels that they have nothing better at this time, or couldn’t find anything better in the summer - than Chris Stewart.

Pathetic.

Apparently we can't have an in-between of the Homer/Hextall extremes.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad