Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Chris Stewart To One Way Deal ($750k Base + $50k Bonus)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How many others got a shot before NAK?

Anyway, someone clearly doesn’t like being challenged. I maintain retaining on Gudas was stupid. The trade has worked but we overpaid. I stand by it.

How many more times does this need to be covered? The only reason Washington traded us the better defensemen for the worse defensemen was because they needed cap space..hence the retention.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
How many more times does this need to be covered? The only reason Washington traded us the better defensemen for the worse defensemen was because they needed cap space..hence the retention.

Should of traded for Subban instead. :sarcasm:

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

Well, he's got a point. I understand the retention due to cap purposes for WSH, but Fletcher did not get ANYTHING for retaining when we have seen countless trades done due to cap space and GMs getting an additional asset for retaining (draft pick). This was the second trade Fletcher has made to help another GM create cap space where he has gotten nothing for doing so (Stolarz/Talbot)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
How many others got a shot before NAK?

Anyway, someone clearly doesn’t like being challenged. I maintain retaining on Gudas was stupid. The trade has worked but we overpaid. I stand by it.

Imagine standing by this nonsense in February, 2020. :laugh:

So let me get this straight. We get the older player, we get the more expensive player with the longer contract, we (from the stats) seem to get the weaker defenseman AND we retain salary?! There's not even a pissy little 2nd swinging our way to accommodate us doing them a favour?

This makes no sense. Absolutely no sense. We've bailed out a divisional rival and got worse for no gain.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You don't retain, you don't end up with Niskanen. Think there aren't 30 other teams in the NHL who would love to have him?

I cannot fathom, how with the season Niskanen has had, there are still people grousing about a little bit of retained salary that got the deal done.

Reactions: RebusFlyer

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Well, he's got a point. I understand the retention due to cap purposes for WSH, but Fletcher did not get ANYTHING for retaining when we have seen countless trades done due to cap space and GMs getting an additional asset for retaining (draft pick). This was the second trade Fletcher has made to help another GM create cap space where he has gotten nothing for doing so (Stolarz/Talbot)

Lmao they got the BETTER player. Thats the reward for retaining.

This isnt the same as Talbot for Stolarz. That one was silly.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
You don't retain, you don't end up with Niskanen. Think there aren't 30 other teams in the NHL who would love to have him?

I cannot fathom, how with the season Niskanen has had, there are still people grousing about a little bit of retained salary that got the deal done.

I'm not complaining about the retained cap at all with this move...the buy-out of Schlemko was dumber

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

Nobody is really still grousing about it. With hindsight it’s worked out great, but back then I reckon we could have squeezed them. We held the cards.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Nobody is really still grousing about it. With hindsight it’s worked out great, but back then I reckon we could have squeezed them. We held the cards.
When you hold a top pairing RH defenseman in a league where D is in high demand, you hold the cards.

Getting stingy over a few shekels, to a team who is only making Niskanen available for cap relief, is how you lose him to another team.

Frankly, Fletcher might have swooped in & stole Niskanen from another GM who was trying to get away without retaining.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah I'm having trouble imagining how we could have pushed much harder. Washington could have happily found a non-divisional partner to swap dmen with and get cap relief.

It is bizarre to see a mutually beneficial trade in division like this, but it happened, and I guess it's better that we could be a beneficiary instead of someone else while Washington got the room they required.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Yeah I'm having trouble imagining how we could have pushed much harder. Washington could have happily found a non-divisional partner to swap dmen with and get cap relief.

It is bizarre to see a mutually beneficial trade in division like this, but it happened, and I guess it's better that we could be a beneficiary instead of someone else while Washington got the room they required.
Very rare to see a first pair D get traded within the division. Fletcher did what it took to seal the deal, & for that I’m thankful. Niskanen is probably my 2nd favorite player on the team behind Couturier. Very intelligent player.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Very rare to see a first pair D get traded within the division. Fletcher did what it took to seal the deal, & for that I’m thankful. Niskanen is probably my 2nd favorite player on the team behind Couturier. Very intelligent player.

Niskanen was my 2nd favorite player to watch live on the Caps behind OV.

My idea of divisional trades is what Calgary and Edmonton did to each other, where each assumed they were handing the other a big fat bucket of sharts and they gambled the bucket they were giving was stinkier. Caps and Flyers did not do that.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Niskanen was my 2nd favorite player to watch live on the Caps behind OV.

My idea of divisional trades is what Calgary and Edmonton did to each other, where each assumed they were handing the other a big fat bucket of sharts and they gambled the bucket they were giving was stinkier. Caps and Flyers did not do that.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->