Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Bemidji State F Matt Read

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
not only Da Costa, but Paul Thompson as well we are probably not going to get.
I am not going to be happy if either of those guys goes to a division rival. I will get one last look at em both this week. I am going to the frozen 4 regional in Manchester.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Who is Thompson?

He's a UNH player:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110324/SPORTS/103240399/-1/NEWSMAP

DURHAM — When Paul Thompson arrived on campus a year ahead of schedule, his long-term goal was to become a sniper for the University of New Hampshire hockey team.

"When I committed here, especially junior and senior year," he said, "I wanted to be one of the go-to guys."

The Derry native wasn't necessarily expecting to become one of the top scorers in the country, worthy of being named Hockey East player of the year and a Hobey Baker Award finalist.

One just naturally followed the other.

"I didn't envision that," Thompson said, "but it's something you kind of hope for."

Thompson turned his dream of playing for UNH into reality, and is on the verge of completing a career year in which he leads the Wildcats in goals (28) and points (52). He also ranks second nationally in game-winning goals (7) and power-play goals (12).

"He's always been a goal scorer," said coach Dick Umile. "Some people, no matter how hard they try, will not become a goal scorer. They can create offense, pass the puck and get after it — but they can't finish it. He can finish."

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Who is Thompson?

senior winger for UNH. 6'1" around 210. has gotten better each season. Is a finalist for the Hobey Baker. guy has a nose for the net and has a knack for scoring clutch goals. Yeah I may be a bit impartial to him, but if we cant get Da Costa I am really hoping we can get this kid.
But yeah I think that article that MSE put up put it best. Especially at the end.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Id luv to see them sign chad genaway from nd state

:skeptic:

It's Chay Genoway from University of North Dakota. No harm no foul, though. Especially if the Wild can land him instead. :sarcasm:

As for Read, the guy can play. I think Flyer fans will like him. He's got a bit of skill but still carries some sandpaper in his game. As has been mentioned, he's a great leader and you won't see him taking a shift off. Believe me, you could do a lot worse for a bottom sixer. Hope he works out for you guys. Being a WCHA fan and with the Wild having him in for a few camps, we've seen a lot of Read.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
There is another article about him at Stromgren's Blog, including quotes of him and his coach:

“I’m very proud of Matt and how patient he was through this whole signing process,†Bemidji State head coach Tom Serratore said. “He led us into the first season in the WCHA and the first season in the Sanford Center. He accomplished a lot of things at BSU and now it’s great to see he is fortunate enough to sign with one of the most successful, most visible franchises in the National Hockey League.â€

[...]

“He will be just fine in the NHL,†Serratore said. “Even though it’s a big jump, he has the maturity, talent and is an extremely competitive player. His game is going to transfer nice and he will be able to pick things up quickly. He has the intangibles other players don’t have.€

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
he's 24 and still in college? How many years of eligibility do kids get???

Hell I graduated when I was 21

He's Canadian, he played a season in the OPJHL (Ontario Junior A), another season in the USHL (US Junior A) and went to Bemidji State shortly after he became 21.

Luukko, who we drafted last offseason, will be 20 for his freshman season at Vermont.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
He's Canadian, he played a season in the OPJHL (Ontario Junior A), another season in the USHL (US Junior A) and went to Bemidji State shortly after he became 21.

Luukko, who we drafted last offseason, will be 20 for his freshman season at Vermont.

I wonder if Read knew Jeff Carter growing up, he's from Ilderton, a little town just north of London and they are only a year apart?

boodangleroo28

Jul 9, 2010
"Matt Read, the highly regarded Bemidji (Minn.) State forward who recently signed a one-way deal with the Flyers that starts in 2011-12, made his Phantoms debut Friday. Read's three-year deal is worth $2.7 million, and he has a good chance to be in the Flyers' lineup next season."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...rs_have_not_ruled_out_recalling_Leighton.html

Whats everyone think about that, i had no idea he was that highly regarded. I think it be near impossible to make our top 9 next year

ONTHEFLYGUY

Jul 26, 2009
Read scored the game winner if I read it correctly

Mod edit:

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/event/article/id/100027073/

Matt Read made his professional hockey debut Friday night.

Playing for the Adirondack Phantoms, the former Bemidji State player nearly scored his first professional goal in the Phantoms 2-1 win over the Hershey Bears in Glens Falls, N.Y.

Read appeared to tip in a shot from Cullen Eddy early in the third period for a goal, but the goal summary was later changed and credited to Eddy.

Read, BSU’s senior captain last season, was making his debut after signing a three-year contract with the Philadelphia Flyers on Wednesday. The Phantoms are the minor league affiliate of the Flyers and are based in Glens Falls.

Saturday:
Third period

5:05: Matt Read gets the rebound goal, his first professional goal, on a Cullen Eddy shot to give the Phantoms a 3-2 lead.

http://poststar.com/app/blogs/?p=64748&cat=784

Chosen third star

Last edited by a moderator:

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
"Matt Read, the highly regarded Bemidji (Minn.) State forward who recently signed a one-way deal with the Flyers that starts in 2011-12, made his Phantoms debut Friday. Read's three-year deal is worth $2.7 million, and he has a good chance to be in the Flyers' lineup next season."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...rs_have_not_ruled_out_recalling_Leighton.html

Whats everyone think about that, i had no idea he was that highly regarded. I think it be near impossible to make our top 9 next year

I'll believe it when I see it

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Flyers offered 1-way contract because others were offering 2-way contracts?

Flyers have cash

cash.jpg

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Flyers offered 1-way contract because others were offering 2-way contracts?

Flyers have cash

Exactly, and this one of the ways, besides investing in scouting, that the cap doesn't affect you.

If Read never plays a game for the Flyers, who cares? Plenty of teams think he will, and if he doesn't, he'll be one of the highest paid Phantoms until Walker and Leighton leave!

The salary cap was a windfall for high revenue teams. Philly spend $65M on payroll before the lockout and still made money. Forcing them down to $50M was just an enforced profit.

Spend away!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3