Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Another Erik Gustafsson 1 Year $3M AAV [will wear #56]

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Meh, AV won't tolerate Gus ignoring his defensive responsibilities.

Q sat on Gus, AV will sit on Gus, he'll either respond or get benched.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
If Gus is planned with Provorov we are so f***ed.... i dont even know what to say.

But maybe that is the next players undeserverly get a free pass. Can see him making a few nice offensive plays and all are praising him. But bis defensive errors will be ignored. Would be typical Flyers
It’s a possibility Gus plays with Provorov. Not saying it will happen. But Braun sure isn’t. Ghost isn’t. So it’s either Myers or Gus on that right side.

What I don’t get is the crying about Gus possibly playing first pair when many of the same people are suggesting Ghost for the first pair. Um, they are similar style players, except Gus has been the better player the last two seasons. And he’s bigger. And more physical. And faster. If you’re willing to put Ghost on the first pair, you should have no grounds to gripe about Gus on the first pair.

But the blind loyalty to Ghost knows no bounds.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Something that never happens is the opposite of typical. Any Flyers defenseman who makes defensive errors gets shit for them.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I feel for Gus. If he plays well, people will say Ghost could have done that. If he plays bad above Ghost, it will be Ghost should have been there.

Reactions: Rebels57

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
It’s a possibility Gus plays with Provorov. Not saying it will happen. But Braun sure isn’t. Ghost isn’t. So it’s either Myers or Gus on that right side.

What I don’t get is the crying about Gus possibly playing first pair when many of the same people are suggesting Ghost for the first pair. Um, they are similar style players, except Gus has been the better player the last two seasons. And he’s bigger. And more physical. And faster. If you’re willing to put Ghost on the first pair, you should have no grounds to gripe about Gus on the first pair.

But the blind loyalty to Ghost knows no bounds.
Feel like this is one of those fan opinions being stated as indisputable facts.

Reactions: Tripod and Striiker

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
76401350_max.jpg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But maybe that is the next players undeserverly get a free pass. Can see him making a few nice offensive plays and all are praising him. But bis defensive errors will be ignored. Would be typical Flyers

Something that never happens is the opposite of typical. Any Flyers defenseman who makes defensive errors gets shit for them.

Haag dont. Thompson dont. Grant dont
Braun, Hagg, and Niskanen all played awful for the entire playoffs and it got completely ignored by the staff.

In fact, AV praised Hagg's play during the playoffs.

f792d523a2d907211c04fbd4ea5b62ba.png

He did the same thing back in March while Hagg was getting absolutely destroyed with Braun.
“He’s found a way to earn a spot in our group through an opportunity — Ghost got hurt, Haggs came in and has played real well, and at the same time, the team’s game has picked up," Flyers head coach Alain Vigneault said Tuesday. "He’s playing within his limits — he’s high percentage, he’s physical when he needs to be and one of our best defensemen at blocking shots.

"I’ve liked what he has brought to our group, so hopefully he can continue to contribute the way he has been doing.”
For Oskar Lindblom, for Flyers, Robert Hagg is playing, performing and smiling

Staff shills have decided to ignore that, of course.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why do Trotz and Cooper play similar kinds of players?
Aren't they "genius" HCs?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't know why I'm doing this but this begs the question "who are the similar kinds of players you have in mind?"

Wash: Beagle, Chiasson, Orpik, Bowey,
NYI: Komarov, Johnston, Clutterbuck, Kuhnhackl, Boychuk, Greene
TB: Maroon, L Schenn, Bogosian, Witkowski

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Trotz is a known lover of plugs. His personnel usage is not something to hang your hat on.

Otherwise, I just see names with no context, games played, usage. They’re players who were on the roster at some point for some reason, often as substitutes. That’s conflating management decisions too. So, I’m still waiting for the players they were willingly chosen over on a nightly basis.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Trotz is a known lover of plugs. His personnel usage is not something to hang your hat on.

Otherwise, I just see names with no context, games played, usage. They’re players who were on the roster at some point for some reason, often as substitutes. That’s conflating management decisions too. So, I’m still waiting for the players they were willingly chosen over on a nightly basis.

Compared to whom?
Hagg was the #7 D-man, he played over Ghost b/c Ghost ended up with surgery on both knees.

Thompson played over a 20 year old underdeveloped rookie, Thompson/Crombeen played over 20 year Kucherov as well. 21 year old Brett Connolly hardly dressed that year, sat for the playoffs, and was dealt to Boston the next season.
The next season, 24 year old Marchessault couldn't break into the TB lineup.
That year, 22 year old Namestnikov played 43 regular season games, but only 12 of 26 PO games, averaging 7:42 a night.

Practically every HC is reluctant to play raw rookies, especially in the playoffs, they generally have to force the HC to play them, either due to injury or outplaying a veteran to the point the HC has no choice.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Luke Schenn played 11 playoff games for Tampa.

They traded a 1st for Goodrow.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Are those coaches over-exposing them as weaknesses and getting them exploited like our coaches do, or are they using them better?

Are they playing those players over superior options for no logical reason?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Are those coaches over-exposing them as weaknesses and getting them exploited like our coaches do, or are they using them better?

Well, given some terrible E +/- stats among them, that's a good question, isn't it.

It depends on the talent around them, you'd ideally pair Hagg with a puck mover, you'd pair Thompson with fast wings, and so on, but sometimes a HC doesn't have the luxury of the right guys to carry the bottom of roster guys, or he starts with the right guys and loses them to injury.

AV played a lot of guys under 25, and auditioned a lot of rookies, doesn't sound like a guy who'll always play a veteran over a kid, certainly had no problem playing Farabee at 19, or rookie Myers over Braun when he was ready. Which is why the attempt to portray him as a dinosaur while fumbling for excuses for Trotz and Cooper comes up sounding silly - just b/c your favorite prospect got sent down doesn't mean AV doesn't play young players - just a matter of WHICH young players.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well, given some terrible E +/- stats among them, that's a good question, isn't it.

It depends on the talent around them, you'd ideally pair Hagg with a puck mover, you'd pair Thompson with fast wings, and so on, but sometimes a HC doesn't have the luxury of the right guys to carry the bottom of roster guys, or he starts with the right guys and loses them to injury.

AV played a lot of guys under 25, and auditioned a lot of rookies, doesn't sound like a guy who'll always play a veteran over a kid, certainly had no problem playing Farabee at 19, or rookie Myers over Braun when he was ready. Which is why the attempt to portray him as a dinosaur while fumbling for excuses for Trotz and Cooper comes up sounding silly - just b/c your favorite prospect got sent down doesn't mean AV doesn't play young players - just a matter of WHICH young players.

We had the luxury of having better options. We had the disadvantage of having a coach who wanted to use the worse options.

Which players on TB and NYI were playing in place of superior options?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad