Flyers pursuing Russian D-man Nikita Zaitsev | 5/24 - Staying in KHL

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And you know what...even if it was a pick based solely on his name. Doing the kid a favor. If that is literally what happened...the Flyers Brass said, "Look, we know this kid sucks and has no chance of ever playing a game in the NHL, but his dad works for us so let's take him," it still wouldn't matter. Why? Because it is a ****ing 6th round pick. It is a ****ty pick for sure. Regardless of whether or not it happened because of his name or because the Flyers just thought he was better than he really is...it is a 6th round pick from five years ago. It has zero impact on the team now, and had zero impact back then.

Ondrej Palat was a 7th round pick in 2011. :sarcasm:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Ondrej Palat was a 7th round pick in 2011. :sarcasm:

Yeah and that's fine. As I said I am not advocating not putting thought into, or purposely wasting these picks or anything of the like. What I'm saying is that if a pick is "bad" for some reason in the later rounds, it is not a big deal unless you can really point to something out there like the entire room wanted to draft player A but the GM wanted player B because he knows his dad. Player B never plays in the NHL and Player A is a hall of famer. That is a problem.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't they claim they had him ranked around the 3rd round? Even though Luukko himself didn't expect to be drafted. :laugh:

Something like that. Unlike Brodeur's kid, Luukko was ranked by Central Scouting. It's not like no one else knew who he was (hence why he was picked in the 6th and not 7th round, they must have thought there was a chance they wouldn't get him). I don't think they did him a favor as much as they overrated him because of sentimental reasons.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Something like that. Unlike Brodeur's kid, Luukko was ranked by Central Scouting. It's not like no one else knew who he was (hence why he was picked in the 6th and not 7th round, they must have thought there was a chance they wouldn't get him). I don't think they did him a favor as much as they overrated him because of sentimental reasons.

Florida had Luukko ranked in the 7th round. Flyers grabbed him with the 6th so the Panthers wouldn't take him.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike-...ssel/120/69449

Zaitsev, 23, has another season to go on a contract with CSKA Moscow of the KHL, but Toronto went all out to impress the defenseman, who had previously attracted interest from the Philadelphia Flyers and Buffalo Sabres.

“I can’t sign anything now but I visited (the) Leafs and was pleasantly shocked by the reception. Zaitsev said to reporter Igor Eronko. “‘I visited (the) Leafs office and the arena, locker-room, talked to GM and the head coach and was very impressed.â€

“(The) Leafs were the only team that had a real big interest in me. I did some tests during the visit.†Zaitsev said. “‘I want to leave the KHL as a winner and I’ll spend the year in Russia to be absolutely prepared for the NHL.â€

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
That's a good sign. I doubt they would tender him a contract if it wasn't based (mostly) on growth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad