Flyers pull goalie approximately 1 minute after being eliminated, gift Caps playoff spot

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
It's crazy that a team that has a goal differential of -37 will make the playoffs!!! How is that even possible???

The Caps played like trash to start the season, watched a future HoF center LTIR, and implemented a rookie HC with a mix of veterans and Hershey graduates. Lindgren stood on his head all season when Keumper collected a big pay check.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Is torts supposed to drop what he's doing while play is on going to make sure his teams still alive? You think any NHL head coach is going to be more tuned in with a different game than the one he's on the bench for? 😂😂😂

I know to you this seems like some Mission: Impossible-level tech wizardry but it literally takes 2 seconds for someone upstair to whisper anything to the staff on the game bench.

It should have been a formality that someone let the bench know. This is a bad look for the Flyers organization, and for the NHL who has jumped head-first into all the betting bullshit.

Players and coaches know what's going on in other games. It's just goofy that you pretend they don't. It's not a novel concept. Check out Patrick Kane scoring the game winner tonight and looking like he just put down his dog:

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Watch the video. At 1:55, he literally says he found out about Detroit going to OT right after the Caps scored the empty netter.

That's pretty much the exact opposite of what I heard watching this clip. He said he didn't know Detroit went to OT until after.

No I’m saying The Caps scored, then he found Detroit was in OT (Flyers eliminated) then he kept his goalie pulled for another full 2 and a half minutes despite a win meaning nothing to the Flyers, hurting the Caps, and helping Detroit / Pitt.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
No I’m saying The Caps scored, then he found Detroit was in OT (Flyers eliminated) then he kept his goalie pulled for another full 2 and a half minutes despite a win meaning nothing to the Flyers, hurting the Caps, and helping Detroit / Pitt.
So what? Every team pulls their goalie when down by a goal with a couple minutes left in the game. Are you suggesting that no team should pull their goalie once eliminated from the playoffs?

What about Seattle tonight? They weren't allowed to pull their goalie either?

Reactions: um and BB79

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I know to you this seems like some Mission: Impossible-level tech wizardry but it literally takes 2 seconds for someone upstair to whisper anything to the staff on the game bench.

It should have been a formality that someone let the bench know. This is a bad look for the Flyers organization, and for the NHL who has jumped head-first into all the betting bullshit.

Players and coaches know what's going on in other games. It's just goofy that you pretend they don't. It's not a novel concept. Check out Patrick Kane scoring the game winner tonight and looking like he just put down his dog:

So what happens for the flyers if the last second goal is reversed because of offside and a coaches challenge or something like that, and because torts is told they are out he doesn't pull the goalie and they go to OT and the flyers eliminate themselves by not trying. That's ok to you? The only bad look is the people that can't get it through their heads that the only people the flyers and torts have to look out for is the flyers and torts.

kugelbahn

Feb 15, 2018
The enemy of my enemy is my friend

1713327498206.png

Reactions: BB79

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
OK, I see.

Well, now what are you saying? Are you saying that because his team was eliminated, they should lay down and quit, and not try to tie the game like they would in any other situation? If anything, I would think that once he realized they had given the Caps a freebie, they would try to make it good by getting that goal back.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
Im confused, why is it an issue that he kept the goalie pulled?

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
It was a minute after im watching both
TV feed are not necessarily pure real time and there time between removing the goaltender decision and the goal get scored (thus hearing honk from people listening to it on the radio in their cars or the neighbor on a different service spoiling goals in the playoff situation).

I could see people in charge of decision telling their people to not tell them/listen to the game on the radio to know anyway to remove distraction, they were not relevant there no scenario that not winning in regular time was an option anyway and giving empty net goal has zero consequence for the Flyers franchise.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
So what? Every team pulls their goalie when down by a goal with a couple minutes left in the game. Are you suggesting that no team should pull their goalie once eliminated from the playoffs?

What about Seattle tonight? They weren't allowed to pull their goalie either?

Not true. Just a few years back that NJ, down 1 on the final day, already eliminated from the playoffs, refused to pull their goalie specifically to not give Ovi a chance to hit 50 on an empty net.

If people are gonna start a thread accusing Torts of intentionally throwing a game to screw Detroit / Pitt I think it’s worth pointing out what actually happened was that he kept fighting despite no possible benefit to his own team, but a win keeping Detroit / Pitt alive.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
OK, I see.

Well, now what are you saying? Are you saying that because his team was eliminated, they should lay down and quit, and not try to tie the game like they would in any other situation? If anything, I would think that once he realized they had given the Caps a freebie, they would try to make it good by getting that goal back.

Im confused, why is it an issue that he kept the goalie pulled?

It’s not an issue. Just pointing out that it’s in direct contradiction to those in this thread saying Philly threw the game after hearing Detroit eliminated them. In reality they refused to lay down after finding out they were eliminated. I’m saying Philly / Torts did nothing wrong.

Reactions: Kegu

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
The only bad look is the people that can't get it through their heads that the only people the flyers and torts have to look out for is the flyers and torts.
Exactly. And if Torts wants to pull the goalie for the final 15 minutes of a game he's free to do so. That's just the way it goes.

Similar to teams who may or may not have layed down to drop back in the standings to get a more preferred matchup in the playoffs. They're your 82 games and can play them how you see fit.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Detroit only has themselves to blame. They had more regulation L's than the Caps. They had fewer regulation wins than the Caps. They to do both of those things, somehow, despite having a +41 goal differential over the Caps. It's on Detroit. There's no blaming the Flyers or the league for anything.

That said, how did this Caps roster make the playoffs? I guess by beating Detroit a week ago. Then coming up with big wins against TB and Bos within the last week. You know they're going to beat the Rangers though, and then get swept in the 2nd rd.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. What about Pitt playing tomorrow? If the Caps and Detroit both lost in OT they’d know they just needed a loser point to advance and could sit back. Were they supposed to move that game 15 minutes before Caps / Flyers too?
Are you really comparing sitting back and protecting a lead (happens in 99% of NHL games) to pulling a goalie while tied in a meaningless game (never happened in the NHL before)? What a terrible comparison

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Are you really comparing sitting back and protecting a lead (happens in 99% of NHL games) to pulling a goalie while tied in a meaningless game (never happened in the NHL before)? What a terrible comparison
Minnesota pulled their goalie in a tied game and lost like 2 weeks ago lol

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Are you kidding? We are talking about a playoff race. Teams have so many employees at a game and a lot at ice level. Not all of them are doing something productive to help the team win at all times.

They should be able to monitor the playoff race.
Never said it was rigged. Flyers f***ed the Wings over from being negligent. NHL should make sure something like this never happens again.

And I have no allegiance to any of these teams.
They don't have an obligation to help the Wings make the Playoffs, bro, lmao. There was no "negligence". They don't need someone to come screaming out "STOP! THE WINGS ARE GOING TO OT! KEEP IN THE GOALIE!!!" They have nothing to gain by doing that. They were playing at same time, all they could do was try and get a regulation win and hope for the best. Not sure why you think they had some sort of duty just because the Wings went to OT.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Torts didn't screw Detroit, Detroit were a combined 2-4-2 so 6pts out of a possible 16pts versus Ottawa, Arizona and Anaheim

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
I've seen people say anything between 30 seconds and 5 minutes

What is the truth
It was definitely closer to 30 seconds, probably about a minute. I believe Torts when he says he didn't know when he pulled Ersson that Detroit had tied it. Can't imagine the Flyers bench was anything but hyperfocused on trying to win that game to keep their own slim hopes alive. That's going to delay any news coming in from Montreal. I should also tell everyone that had Torts treated this like a normal tie game, it would've gone to OT, and Washington still would have won, maybe even more easily.

Reactions: Hire Sather

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad