Flyers pull goalie approximately 1 minute after being eliminated, gift Caps playoff spot

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The Flyers needed a regulation win regardless of what the score in the Wings/Habs game was. If they let the game go to OT the Capitals getting a point would have eliminated the Flyers. The other games didn't matter.
Without a Detroit loss in regulation they couldn't make it no matter what happened in this game.

Torts just said his video guy told him about the other game going to OT after he had already pulled the goalie. Like I said if there was no chance of Detroit losing they're not pulling him. That'd just be silly. If you can't make the playoffs at least you can win the game for your fans in OT.

It was just a coincidence everything was going on at the end there when you're committed to it already so this happened.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It was definitely closer to 30 seconds, probably about a minute. I believe Torts when he says he didn't know when he pulled Ersson that Detroit had tied it. Can't imagine the Flyers bench was anything but hyperfocused on trying to win that game to keep their own slim hopes alive. That's going to delay any news coming in from Montreal. I should also tell everyone that had Torts treated this like a normal tie game, it would've gone to OT, and Washington still would have won, maybe even more easily.
If Torts treated it like a normal tie game the Flyers would have been eliminated at the end of the 3rd, even if Detroit didn't tie their game.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
As cited in Torts postgame

- Torts gets report that Detroit is down
- Torts pulls goalie like he needs to
- Caps score
- Torts gets update that Detroit tied it
- Torts keeps pushing for W

He did nothing wrong.

But wait a minute. I thought I read in this thread that there's NO WAY that Torts knows what's happening around the league while coaching a game?

People gotta stop thinking we're in the 70s. The Flyers knows everything we know in real time. I don't think anything wrong happened here, but the Flyers knows instantly that a team they're competing for a playoff spot against scored.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
As cited in Torts postgame

- Torts gets report that Detroit is down
- Torts pulls goalie like he needs to
- Caps score
- Torts gets update that Detroit tied it
- Torts keeps pushing for W

He did nothing wrong.
People are missing my point that I'm skeptical someone in 2024 didn't know for a minute they were cooked but if you want to argue the above you are objectively wrong. There was a minute difference and it's even noted in the freakin' game recap lol:

The surreal scene played out after the Flyers and Capitals slogged out much of the third period 5 on 5 — and perhaps a minute after Detroit went to overtime in Montreal, eliminating Philadelphia. Tortorella may not have known his team had no chance of winning when he sent Ersson to the bench and opened the net for Oshie.

Reactions: Sticksandsun

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Way to close to say all that, Flyers had to win in regulation. If anything, the lack of Detroit getting any calls is more worrisome. With TV rating, TV money, and other factors in all of sports today, Seems to be to many fingers are on scales, and want certain outcomes within sports today. Does NHL want a last playoff run by either of their two superstars left alive? Ovi or Crosby?
Sorry, but McDavid and Mackinnon are the superstars now. And Kucherov.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
There was definitely a delay, probably 45 seconds or so. Is an NHL bench up to real time? Detroit seemed to know right away Washington won.

Ducks4Cup

Jun 14, 2022
I mean, they were playing for a regulation win. I'm sure everyone knew they would before the game.

If Red Wings are salty about getting eliminated, they probably should have played better in the 81 games prior to this.
My thoughts exactly , if you want to make the playoffs don’t leave it up to someone else to help you in.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
If Torts treated it like a normal tie game the Flyers would have been eliminated at the end of the 3rd, even if Detroit didn't tie their game.
Well no, what I'm saying is, it WASN'T a normal tied game. I'm saying if it was, like say the Flyers could've won in OT, they wouldn't have anyway.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
People are missing my point that I'm skeptical someone in 2024 didn't know for a minute they were cooked but if you want to argue the above you are objectively wrong. There was a minute difference and it's even noted in the freakin' game recap lol:

I’m not objectively wrong about anything as I literally typed out what Torts said in his postgame presser. If you’d like to call him a liar to protect your conspiracy theory then go right ahead though. I have no dog in that meaningless fight.

Reactions: cupface52

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
TV feed are not necessarily pure real time and there time between removing the goaltender decision and the goal get scored (thus hearing honk from people listening to it on the radio in their cars or the neighbor on a different service spoiling goals in the playoff situation).

I could see people in charge of decision telling their people to not tell them/listen to the game on the radio to know anyway to remove distraction, they were not relevant there no scenario that not winning in regular time was an option anyway and giving empty net goal has zero consequence for the Flyers franchise.
I agree. There's a delay depending on the broadcast. Espn was updating scores (the two quick goals in the Habs/Wings game and I didn't see them live until about 30 seconds later on TV.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
Watch the video. At 1:55, he literally says he found out about Detroit going to OT right after the Caps scored the empty netter.
He almost certainly didn't know but it's not like this means anything, he's not going to say yeah I just wanted to make sure we f*** over the Pens lol

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
This is dumb

Flyers needed a regulation win to even have a chance. They don’t give a f*** what was going on in Montreal
All for the argument of eliminating a single OTL point in the standing. That is the reason why it doesn't work. Eliminate the 3 on 3 OT and bring back ties and that is the purist form of earning their points.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Awful coaching by Tortorella (most overrated coach in the NHL). Should be investigated for gambling-related activities and banned from pro sports henceforth.
Haha sorry your team couldn’t convincingly beat a poor Habs team in the biggest game of the season. If they had taken care of business and been ahead by 2+ goals the goalie pull wouldn’t have happened. Your team deserves to not be in the playoffs.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Kind of neat that the race for the last wildcard spot was decided in the span of minutes, really. Would still have required a quite bit of luck on the Flyers side (regulation win and Pens regulation loss), but still. Kind of reminds me, but not quite, of Jokinen failing to score for the Rangers in that shootout back in the day against the Flyers so that the Flyers made it in and went all the way to the Finals too!

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
If I were in his shoes, I would do the same thing, pull the goalie if my season is on line after being tied 1-1 and needing regulation win. That is the reason why we need to eliminate the loser point for this not to happen again. You might pull the goalie in OT without the loser point if you are desperate.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Cheers for the Flyers.

I mean sucks for the Red Wings but blaming the Flyers for this after you are losing your biggest game of the season to the Habs of all teams requires a world's smallest violin -joke.

Reactions: Amorgus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad