Flyers pull goalie approximately 1 minute after being eliminated, gift Caps playoff spot

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Never said it should be avoided, but any reasonable person could see that is an extra tough way to end your season. It gonna hurt a lot more than if Washington just won 4-1 or something
I don’t buy that. It’s such a cop out to blame others. It’s really simple, win enough games and you are in. If the Caps lost due to an ENG I would be upset they didn’t play better the whole season so they were not in that position to begin with.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
I don’t buy that. It’s such a cop out to blame others. It’s really simple, win enough games and you are in. If the Caps lost due to an ENG I would be upset they didn’t play better the whole season so they were not in that position to begin with.

He never said he blamed others, he said it was an extra tough way of losing as the schedule lottery and circumstances made the team taking their playoff spot get ut on a free empty net goal. Tough bad luck.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The Wings points percentage in March was like the fourth worst in history for a team starting the month in a playoff position.

The teams, coaches, and management only need to look in the mirror to find someone to blame.

Hopefully the collapse motivates Yzerman to find an actual NHL coach and finally bring up some of his draft picks.

Reactions: Bileur

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Maybe win more regulation games which is the first tie breaker so that you control your destiny late in the season.
That literally has nothing to do with the OPs post or the post I was quoting. The fact that DET would have made the playoffs if they had taken more points in other games does not negate what happened tonight whatsoever.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
I think people are missing the point. It’s not about thinking the Flyers did that on purpose, it’s about how frustrating it is that the perfect storm allowed them to be eliminated by an empty net goal in a tie game, a situation that is rare to begin with. If that game is played 30 minutes later then that play never happens. Hell even if stoppages had it an extra 5 minutes behind then the Flyers probably know by then that they’re out and don’t pull the goalie. If Washington was playing any other team in the league then that situation would not have happened either. Even if Philly doesn’t know they were eliminated at that point, the fact still stands that they were and even though they didn’t know it still was not going to help them.

Obviously you could pick apart the whole season and find other instances where Detroit should have gotten another point, and even if Philly doesn’t pull the goalie that doesn’t mean they were going to end up winning.

But the fact is the deciding play that eliminated Detroit this season was an empty net goal in a tied game on a team that was already eliminated. That most certainly is going to hurt a lot extra
And if that game had been played 30 minutes earlier then that play still happens. You don't like it, win more games.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
It's funny seeing people arguing about this, like it matters either way, honestly I think if all 4 teams played the Rangers I doubt they collectively get to 4 wins. Like oh no you aren't going to be able to watch your team for 4 more games (maybe 5 if you're lucky), big deal.

drw13

Sep 29, 2013
Another person missing the point 🤷‍♂️

drw13

Sep 29, 2013
And if that game had been played 30 minutes earlier then that play still happens. You don't like it, win more games.
Well no, the empty net goal would not have been on an already eliminated team. But again we have another person missing the point 🤷‍♂️

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Flyers had to win in regulation. Win in extra time and Wash finishes ahead of them.
Phi missed the PO because they blew games vs chi and cbs last week.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
Well no, the empty net goal would not have been on an already eliminated team. But again we another person missing the point 🤷‍♂️
Are you telling me if the Caps / Flyers played 30 minutes before the Red Wings they would not have pulled their goalie in an attempt to win it in regulation?
Flyers had to win in regulation. Win in extra time and Wash finishes ahead of them.
Phi missed the PO because they blew games vs chi and cbs last week.
Yes, thats why I was saying if the Wash game is played earlier Philly sitll pulls their goalie because they need to win in regulation.

Reactions: Tryamw

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
1713323352276.jpeg

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Another person missing the point 🤷‍♂️
Maybe so many are missing your point because it is unclear. What is your point? That it sucks losing that way? Sure I guess. But a loss is a loss IMO and you have no idea that Philly wins if they don’t pull the goalie.

Reactions: troyerlaw

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
This playoff race is the craziest I can remember in the last few decades. It's not really a surprise that there had to be even more craziness to finally decide it. At the very least, it was interesting, if not fun.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
And the standings worked out that way because PHI-WSH happened to be the last game played at the exact same time. If the game is played 1 hour later the Flyers dont pull the goaltender and it goes to OT.

That would have been fair to everyone in involved, its not really that hard to understand the concept!

Its about basic fairness, not about the specific teams involved!
The ironic thing about this whining is that the Wings couldn't even qualify over a team with 91 points. Lmfao, outside of covid and lockouts, how far back do you have to go to find such a borderline pitiful qualifying total?

Wanna talk about fairness, ask some STL fans how much they'd like to be an Eastern team right now.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It was the right move for the Flyers to do. I don't even get complaining about this. They were eliminated if they didn't beat the Caps in regulation. Of course they were gonna try this.

I'm a Pens fan. We made our own bed. So did Detroit.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They went into the game probably with the plan to win in regulation, pulling the goalie if needed

So are they supposed to just throw the plan in the trash and surrender mid-game because of the out of town scores?

It makes sense to go for it still. Then they can at least say they did what they could, that day anyway

drw13

Sep 29, 2013
Are you telling me if the Caps / Flyers played 30 minutes before the Red Wings they would not have pulled their goalie in an attempt to win it in regulation?

Yes, thats why I was saying if the Wash game is played earlier Philly sitll pulls their goalie because they need to win in regulation.
No, I’m telling you that when they pulled the goalie they would still have actually been fighting for their playoff spot. In the scenario that happened they were not. Like I said originally, even though they didn’t know they were eliminated yet doesn’t mean they weren’t. I understand why they pulled the goalie, but the timing just makes Detroits elimination a tougher one to accept

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It was pretty clear to me that Carberry was playing for a Regulation Tie late in the game because they knew Philadelphia would pull the goaltender, giving them an advantage. Washington played one of the most conservative gameplans I've ever seen. All this "confluence of factors" ignores that Washington may have played differently if Philadelphia wasn't in a "must pull the goaltender in a late regulation tie" situation.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I got tired of the Leafs not giving any semblance of a shit in their meaningless game against FLA and caught the end of that game.

When the commentator said that DET was down by one in MTL with seven seconds left, I thought it was finaaaalllyyy the end of Detroit's playoff push. I was shocked when the announcement was made that DET had tied the game with three seconds left.

It's a bad way to be eliminated, but it is what it is. They should have beat WSH in one of those late-season games against them. They did make things very interesting and dramatic down the stretch. They should be able to displace NYI or WSH for a playoff spot next year.

drw13

Sep 29, 2013
Maybe so many are missing your point because it is unclear. What is your point? That it sucks losing that way? Sure I guess. But a loss is a loss IMO and you have no idea that Philly wins if they don’t pull the goalie.
Right, I literally said that, no goalie pull doesn’t necessarily mean Philly wins. The point is that it isn’t about blaming Philly, thinking they pulled the goalie knowing they were out or anything like that. But it is about the fact that despite being fair, it is still going to be very frustrating for the team being eliminated, when the final play that does it was an empty net goal in a tied game on a team that was already eliminated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad