Flyers Players Mt. Rushmore

Who should be in Flyers Mt. Rushmore with Clarke and Parent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Hypothetically speaking; Flyers Organization desides to erect a Mt. Rushmore on the Northside of the WFC, consisting of four all-time great Flyers Players... representing the first 50 Seasons.

At the Planning Meeting, Clarke and Parent are unanimously chosen as the first two Players for the Monument... and then they get into a heated discussion about who the other two Players should be.

At one point Bill Barber would have seemed to be a slam dunk for one of them... but as time has passed, and deep thought has been applied, it becomes apparent that it is actually a deep pack for the last two slots... with strong arguments being made for at least eight Players.

Bill Barber - HHoF Member who Scored most Goals.

Mark Howe - HHoF Member and clearly best D-Man

Eric Lindros - HHoF Member, Generational NHL Player, Points per Game Leader

Brian Propp - Great Stats and near top of most major all-time categories

Tim Kerr - Power Play Goal, Goals per Game and Shots% Leader

Ron Hextall - Most Wins and Games Played in Goal

Claude Giroux - Great Stats and near top of most major all-time categories

John LeClair (Dark Horse Candidate) - Leader in Adjusted Goals.

Please vote for up to THREE Players for the two slots and comment on reasons in Thread... you may change your Votes... I'll keep this open through the remainder of the Season... Enjoy.

Reactions: kudymen

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I said Barber, Howe, and Propp. Giroux being an active player I couldn't vote for him. LeClair is my all time favorite but I don't think his numbers stack up with the aforementioned guys. Plus I think all three I voted for wore Cooperalls.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I'm thinking here that Barber will not get much support from the younger people here who never saw him play.

Giroux is at a disadvantage in that his Final Stats are yet to be... although that doesn't seem to be hurting him presently in the voting. Haha

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Giroux has played in a lot lower scoring era than Barber, as far as i know. Even with that, Giroux should easily catch him before end of his career.

I’ll Admit that he’s before my time so maybe not giving enough credit.

Reactions: Sawdalite

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
All of the Hall of Famers (and if you need to remove one, pick the one who has worse stats to get the boot)

/closed

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Lindros and Howe in order to have a defenseman. If Giroux brings a Cup home (or makes some deep runs) this will likely change my mind.

Reactions: Larry44

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Giroux has played in a lot lower scoring era than Barber, as far as i know. Even with that, Giroux should easily catch him before end of his career.

I’ll Admit that he’s before my time so maybe not giving enough credit.

Giroux has a very good shot at catching Barber on Total Points... basically zero shot in catching Barber on Goals Scored, which is where Barber has a large lead in with Flyers.

Barber's Era was not that much greater in Scoring IIRC... Propp and Howe have the greatest advantage in Era helping them... and I suppose Kerr also, although he was a beast at any time... and was in an Era where they were allowed to pound his back unmercifully. Eras do come into play, I agree.

Also, Barber was a great all-around, Two-Way Forward who is in the HHoF... Giroux's fate in that is yet to be determined. All that said, the gap is sk much closer today than it was not that long ago, as I see it.

Reactions: renberg

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Lindros/Howe

then Barber

2035 -

Carter Hart
Jack Hughes
Provorov

after 7 cup wins

when will the flyer dynasty end? that's what the rest of the NHL is saying

Last edited:
Reactions: Lotusflower

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Howe followed by Barber and Giroux. Barber right now, though I think G has a legit shot at passing him up. I can't believe I would have to leave Lindros off, but here we are.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Are you looking for the four best players based on talent or the players who are "most Flyer"? If it's the latter, I think I'd go with Holmgren and Hextall. Not because they are recently in our minds, and not because they've served the organ-eye-zation in multiple roles, but strictly for on-ice style, character, etc. The only player unarguably more representative is Clarke.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Are you looking for the four best players based on talent or the players who are "most Flyer"? If it's the latter, I think I'd go with Holmgren and Hextall. Not because they are recently in our minds, and not because they've served the organ-eye-zation in multiple roles, but strictly for on-ice style, character, etc. The only player unarguably more representative is Clarke.

I guess the best way to look at it would be like the Presidents on the real Mt. Rushmore... I'm thinking People who best represent their Positions within their residence... be it through their Legacy of Work... Accomplishments... Acceptance... Leadership... In other words, I suppose the four Players that you would best want to REPRESENT your Organization... in manner and deed.

Be it innate talent like Lindros and Howe... work and dedication like Clarke and Barber... accomplishment like Parent, Kerr and Leclair... consistancy like Propp and Giroux... Fire and determination like Hextall and Clarke... a mix and match like the makeup of all the Players on the Ballot.

Holmgren was indeed pretty much a prototypical Flyer in the mold of the Organization's directives, dating back to the Bullies Era... but IMO much of Homer's Legacy was after he hung up his skates... if you believe he did enough as a Player, I certainly respect that and gladly place him in the Other Category.

HTH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad