News Article: Flyers Need New Perspective

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Flyers don't need a rebuild.
They got a good young core, they just need to stray away from that
dumb goon/enforcer image they feel they need to maintain.
That and use a system that works.
I like what Mason has brought to this team, a puck moving athletic goalie
for the first time in years. If this team would smarten up in front of him we
would have a fighting chance. The defence clearly needs work. I just don't
even know where to start. Mesz needs to go, Coburn and Schenn need
to wake up, Streit looks ok so far, Kimmo needs to find some sorcerer's youth elixir
and Grossman is decent... just needs to stop with the stupid penalties.

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
The Flyers have the luxury of being able to attract top end free agent talent, which makes their situation different from teams like Edmonton.

The Oilers haven't traded away vets for top drafts picks and youth; they just have stunk since making the Final in 2006. When your team sucks, you'll inevitably build out of the draft.

That's not rebuilding, though. It's just plain sucking.

Somehow even with all of the BS that goes on here, the flyers are still able to attract top free agents, thankfully.

You do raise a good point, ever since Pronger, Smith, smyth, Torres, Samsonov, etc. left that 06 team, no one wants to go there because of how bad they've been

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Personally, I prefer to have an owner that cares more about winning than the bottom line. No we have not won but it is not from lack of trying. And the one thing that really hurt us last year was that we were not able to sell asssets at the deadline like most non-playoff teams.

I can see why Lavi was kept as he had 3 very good years before last year:
SCF, 106 pts, 103 pts. And then we won the last 4 games of the year(ruining our draft position) but it showed we still could win. But then the VERY POOR pre-season and then the 0-3 start happened and they decided to pull the plug. The team was painful to watch and showed no heart. I hope that is the one thing that changes with this team. Hustle and heart can make up for some talent.
:fight:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think Mr Ed has been more involved and meddling under Holmgren than he was with Clarke....at least that is what it seems like. Would have been interesting how Campbell would have operated with Snider breathing down his neck...maybe why he passed on the offer?

That very well may be the case, but "more involved" doesn't = Snider ruining the team or running the team into the ground etc. What Snider said at the press conference is true, I think. The culture of the Flyers is winning. Snider is not up there saying "let's bring back the 70s!" He is up there saying, "Homer, here's a blank check, put together a winning team." He pressed for Bryz, sure. Ok. That didn't work out. No one knew that it would be as catastrophic as it was, but at the end of the day, outside of that, you won't find much else that you can legitimately point to to say that Snider is doing anything other than wanting to win.

Be careful what you wish for. Snider won't be here forever. I don't know who is next in line to take over, but if it is someone with a different attitude, you all may get your wish of having a hands-off owner who doesn't get involved. Then see what happens when the bigwigs aren't spending to the Cap because the owners want a bigger profit rather than another Cup. It can't happen here, right?!

Evergreen

The writer seems to forget that Laviolette himself was a fresh perspective...and he failed.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The writer seems to forget that Laviolette himself was a fresh perspective...and he failed.

More like he expired....he wasn't fresh anymore. It happens but you need management to ID it in a timely manner so it doesn't have cascading effects. Also, I don't think he was supported the best way by the GM with personnel ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad