News Article: Flyers Need New Perspective

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131008_Flyers__culture_needs_refreshening.html

An interesting read from someone who refuses to tow the company line. This is the same writer who grilled Ed Snider yesterday. Im glad someone else sees it this way.

Yeah I thought it was pretty good..the guy is from the Columbia school of journalism so he's got some pedigree. He makes some valid points.

Snider was irritated b/c he wasn't thrown any softballs by this guy..I didn't see anything inappropriate from him. He did his job pretty well but I suspect he won't have "access" much longer.

Dark One

Aug 14, 2009
Yep - I knew that quote would be the basis for the article headline from this "journalist" and that the same quote would be isolated in the article, completely avoiding the issue of his pressing question that goaded Snider into the answer he gave. No context whatsoever, what a shock.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
lol at one of his poll answers.

"It doesn’t matter. He’ll be gone within a few seasons anyway"

real professional

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
I didnt like this article nor the way he asked the question yesterday. He sounded like he purposely tried to anger Ed Snider and I'm glad Snider had the reaction he did. Not that I always agree with Ed Snider

I'm all for the flyers doing a rebuild at some point but is the rest of the flyers fan base? Absolutely not! Every time the team goes into a bad losing streak or a streak of inconsistent play, both the fans and the media go into an uproar on why the coach should be fired and why certain players should be traded. The best part is, when they finally make that decision to shake up some things, there is another uproar on why they made the decisions that they did. The media here contradicts themselves to no end.

He brings up a point about the Blackhawks missing 9 playoff appearances in 10 years. LOL everyone here knows what would be going on around Philadelphia with the fans and media if something like that we're to happen. It would be absolute chaos.

"none of those coaches has had the necessary power to take the Flyers in a different direction." This is another quote that I don't agree with. Look at the system changes over the years - Nielsen, Hitch, Stevens and Laviolette all had different approaches to the game. Albeit some of them were similar but they weren't the same.

SilkyMitts

Apr 29, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I didnt like this article nor the way he asked the question yesterday. He sounded like he purposely tried to anger Ed Snider and I'm glad Snider had the reaction he did. Not that I always agree with Ed Snider

I'm all for the flyers doing a rebuild at some point but is the rest of the flyers fan base? Absolutely not! Every time the team goes into a bad losing streak or a streak of inconsistent play, both the fans and the media go into an uproar on why the coach should be fired and why certain players should be traded. The best part is, when they finally make that decision to shake up some things, there is another uproar on why they made the decisions that they did. The media here contradicts themselves to no end.

He brings up a point about the Blackhawks missing 9 playoff appearances in 10 years. LOL everyone here knows what would be going on around Philadelphia with the fans and media if something like that we're to happen. It would be absolute chaos.

"none of those coaches has had the necessary power to take the Flyers in a different direction." This is another quote that I don't agree with. Look at the system changes over the years - Nielsen, Hitch, Stevens and Laviolette all had different approaches to the game. Albeit some of them were similar but they weren't the same.

what do you think we just did over the past couple years?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, that quote is total BS. Both Hitch and Lavi got to try exactly what they thought would be successful, and it was 4 playoff wins short of ultimate success for the former and 2 playoff wins short for the latter.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Couldn't finish reading that crap. Flyers have been very successful and continue to do so. If they have the teams in the next 30 years that they have had in the past, they have an excellent chance of winning a cup or multiple ones and a better chance than all but a few franchises.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
what do you think we just did over the past couple years?

They were modifications not entire overhauls although some saw the Carter and Richards trades as an overhaul of sorts. I guess that is vailid.

I do agree that this city would lose it if the Flyers engaged in a complete rebuild like the Sixers. Then again the Flyers missing the playoffs for 5 consecutive years didn't kill the fan base. The Flyers fans are pretty loyal but demanding and pretty informed..not a bad thing. You even have players that come here comment on how the fans can pick out BS when they see it or lack of effort.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This is not the type of team with which you do a rebuild. The majority of this team is under 30 years old and very talented. If this team did a rebuild, say goodbye to the Schenns, Couturier, Simmonds, Read, and Voracek. Trading the Hartnells, Coburns, etc. off the team is not going to effectuate the rebuild because the Flyers aren't going to get much for them. So the options are either SLOWLY rebuild through the draft and hope that the young guys we have now are willing to stick around for that (and hope our draft picks that we do pick actually pan out), or trade our young guys with value and get big returns (and lottery picks because our talent is gone). Those are really the options for a rebuild. I know people say now they might be ok with a rebuild, but rebuild implies we are going to have several years in a row of lottery picks at a bare minimum.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
As usual, journalists fail to look at the economic aspect of what they speak. It is easy to say rebuild patiently, look how great Pittsburgh and Chicago are now. The problem with that is neither of those teams have 18,000 season ticket holders not willing to continue to pay thousands of dollars to watch a continued suckfest. The Blackhawks were so far off the radar in Chicago it is incomprehensible here, as the teams home games were actually blacked out in the city to get fans to show up. Pittsburgh was bankrupt and was about to move, with the city's white knight threatening to move to Kansas City unless he got paid. The team has had the best player of each of the past 3 generations and still couldn't sell out consistently and had their new building built with state tax money, not privately like Snider did. Hockey is not the NFL. It is a gate driven business. People won't still show up just to boo like the eagles. The Flyers run there franchise to appease the bulk of their fans and it works. The local radio commentators actual mock flyers fans for being too positive and not bashing the franchise continually like eagles, phillies, and the whatever sixers fans are left. You want to see the long term consequences of a long rebuild and tanking mentality, look at the sixers attendance this year.

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
As usual, journalists fail to look at the economic aspect of what they speak. It is easy to say rebuild patiently, look how great Pittsburgh and Chicago are now. The problem with that is neither of those teams have 18,000 season ticket holders not willing to continue to pay thousands of dollars to watch a continued suckfest. The Blackhawks were so far off the radar in Chicago it is incomprehensible here, as the teams home games were actually blacked out in the city to get fans to show up. Pittsburgh was bankrupt and was about to move, with the city's white knight threatening to move to Kansas City unless he got paid. The team has had the best player of each of the past 3 generations and still couldn't sell out consistently and had their new building built with state tax money, not privately like Snider did. Hockey is not the NFL. It is a gate driven business. People won't still show up just to boo like the eagles. The Flyers run there franchise to appease the bulk of their fans and it works. The local radio commentators actual mock flyers fans for being too positive and not bashing the franchise continually like eagles, phillies, and the whatever sixers fans are left. You want to see the long term consequences of a long rebuild and tanking mentality, look at the sixers attendance this year.

Great post. Another point on economics, the Blackhawks were so bad during those times that the owner didn't even want the games televised in Chicago. He wanted people to go to the games instead and that didn't work to well for him

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
They were modifications not entire overhauls although some saw the Carter and Richards trades as an overhaul of sorts. I guess that is vailid.

I do agree that this city would lose it if the Flyers engaged in a complete rebuild like the Sixers. Then again the Flyers missing the playoffs for 5 consecutive years didn't kill the fan base. The Flyers fans are pretty loyal but demanding and pretty informed..not a bad thing. You even have players that come here comment on how the fans can pick out BS when they see it or lack of effort.

Definitely not rebuild

The only guys left from the 2010 Final are Giroux, Hartnell, Coburn and Timonen... Pronger, technically, as well.

I'd be interested if any team in the NHL has had as much roster turnover since then.

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
The only guys left from the 2010 Final are Giroux, Hartnell, Coburn and Timonen... Pronger, technically, as well.

I'd be interested if any team in the NHL has had as much roster turnover since then.

Most associate rebuilding as starting over and building through the draft and by trading away older vets for youth. I would call what the flyers did more of retooling. I look at the oilers as a team that did a true rebuild. The flyers still kept a mix of vets around and traded for new ones as well in Mez, Grossman, Lecavalier, etc.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The anti-Ed Snider sentiment is just the flavor of the month. All the guy wants to do is win. Point to one thing outside of the Bryz situation where you can actually say Snider has hand in it and it backfired. Maybe I am off base here, but I can't think of anything else where Snider really bungled things.

Let me guess..."He is stuck in the Broad Street Bullies era!" Ok well having Jay Rosehill or Jody Shelley on the team is not the difference between the Flyers winning the Cup and the Flyers missing the playoffs. So what else is there?

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
The NHL is not the NBA, you don't have to be bad for a few seasons to get good. The Pens tank for 5 years and make back to back finals and now everyone thinks you need to tank. Not to mention the NHL is far more coaching and team game than the NBA.

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
The anti-Ed Snider sentiment is just the flavor of the month. All the guy wants to do is win. Point to one thing outside of the Bryz situation where you can actually say Snider has hand in it and it backfired. Maybe I am off base here, but I can't think of anything else where Snider really bungled things.

Let me guess..."He is stuck in the Broad Street Bullies era!" Ok well having Jay Rosehill or Jody Shelley on the team is not the difference between the Flyers winning the Cup and the Flyers missing the playoffs. So what else is there?

Thank you! I just had an exchange with the author of the the article on twitter and he just doesn't get it. Oh well, that's what the media gets paid to do, stir up controversy. And in some cases, get players upset and thrown off the team ..cough tim panaccio cough

RJ8812*

this team is so soft....wont have any success if they don't toughen up

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

I think Mr Ed has been more involved and meddling under Holmgren than he was with Clarke....at least that is what it seems like. Would have been interesting how Campbell would have operated with Snider breathing down his neck...maybe why he passed on the offer?

Last edited:

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
The NHL is not the NBA, you don't have to be bad for a few seasons to get good. The Pens tank for 5 years and make back to back finals and now everyone thinks you need to tank. Not to mention the NHL is far more coaching and team game than the NBA.

Or sign three of the best players who can win you a championship like the Miami heat did

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Most associate rebuilding as starting over and building through the draft and by trading away older vets for youth. I would call what the flyers did more of retooling. I look at the oilers as a team that did a true rebuild. The flyers still kept a mix of vets around and traded for new ones as well in Mez, Grossman, Lecavalier, etc.

The Flyers have the luxury of being able to attract top end free agent talent, which makes their situation different from teams like Edmonton.

The Oilers haven't traded away vets for top drafts picks and youth; they just have stunk since making the Final in 2006. When your team sucks, you'll inevitably build out of the draft.

That's not rebuilding, though. It's just plain sucking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad