Post-Game Talk: Flyers? More like fallers. Pens - 6, them - 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Did Sullivan ever end up giving an update on Fleury?

Not that I can recall.

But him being there at the end for the jersey giveaway might bode well, at least in terms of how he's feeling. If he was dealing with major symptoms, I'd think he'd be avoiding the bright lights and noise.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The lines had more or less nothing to do with why they lost to Boston.

No but failing to get Crosby and Malkin from the matchups Claude wanted coupled with the predictable breakout and a completely useless 4th line that got overused in addition to the absurd lineup decisions did have a lot to do with us not scoring during that series... Well plus we actively tried not to go to the net and score gritty playoff goals for the umpteenth year in a row... It was all parameter play... Makes me feel so much better about this team

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
If you want to have a good laugh, read Bill Meltzer's twitter timeline during the game.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
That means nothing. He wasn't knocked out, he only felt symptoms.

Doubt its anything serious. Murray is playing well and the team is on a roll, bring him back for the last game or two for a tune up leading into the playoffs. Otherwise rest him so hes ready to go for round 1.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Doubt its anything serious. Murray is playing well and the team is on a roll, bring him back for the last game or two for a tune up leading into the playoffs. Otherwise rest him so hes ready to go for round 1.

but if you're just looking to rest him, the injury you make up isn't a concussion.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
but if you're just looking to rest him, the injury you make up isn't a concussion.

Probably is a concussion, but maybe if its a milder one, and there are concussions you recover from shortly, they'll probably just stretch it out. That being said, would be nice to see him get in a game before the playoffs. He's been stellar for us this year but I'd prefer him not starting in the playoffs after a two week break.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Probably is a concussion, but maybe if its a milder one, and there are concussions you recover from shortly, they'll probably just stretch it out. That being said, would be nice to see him get in a game before the playoffs. He's been stellar for us this year but I'd prefer him not starting in the playoffs after a two week break.

Sure, but also maybe its not a milder one. We have no idea really.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
symptoms from concussions vary but I can't imagine wanting to be in a loud arena with bright lights if and lots of noise if Fluery had a severe concussion. That just seems unbearable.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Why not?

It isn't an injury that you can check if the team is lying about.

'I felt nauseous, really I did. It couldn't have been because of the fifteen Carl, Jr's. That I had last night. Likely is a concussion.'

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Did Sullivan ever end up giving an update on Fleury?

Does it matter when our backup is better than him? We can win the cup with Murray playing every single game. Despite MAF playing much better this year, I don't know if I say the same about him. Murray is just significantly better with his rebound control and positioning. He is the real deal.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
One thing I noticed about the Philly game, is the Pens seemed to take a page out of the Rangers playbook. They had long east to west passes to stretch the Philly defense.

It was interesting to me.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
One thing I noticed about the Philly game, is the Pens seemed to take a page out of the Rangers playbook. They had long east to west passes to stretch the Philly defense.

It was interesting to me.

That's been a Sully staple, really.

Speed down the wings absolutely killing teams. Will only get tougher when/if Malkin and Rust get re-inserted into the lineup.

No one is going to be able to keep up with this team's speed for an entire series. They can still owe obviously but it such a big advantage.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I've seen people compare this team to Bylsma's, and the systems, styles, etc...

One thing i'll say is that the breakout is WAY better under Sullivan. I can't remember the last time we've had a breakout discussion on this board, and that's because it's SO good now.

Part of that is, in the past, you'd always say, "wow, a team could just forecheck us into submission," but now you have a Daley - Letang pair playing 25 minutes a night. Have fun forechecking what you can't catch.

The puck support and structure is SO Much better now. Night and day.

Completely agree. They are getting the puck up the ice quickly like DB hockey, but it's always with speed and support. They really are like a well oiled machine.

The ONLY time I've seen issues moving the puck out of the zone lately is when it's on Lovejoy's stick. Replace him with Pouliot and I doubt we'd have any issues.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That is another of those old truisms at HF that everyone always assumes is true, but stats do not bear out evidence of.

If you go solely by PP opportunities, there actually are MORE most years in the playoffs than less. I got this chart from a HF thread a couple of years ago, but know that PP opportunities last year for instance were similarly more than the regular season:

Year|PPO/G Reg|PPO/G Post
05-06|5.85|5.80
06-07|4.85|5.14
07-08|4.29|4.40
08-09|4.16|3.94
09-10|3.71|4.19
10-11|3.54|3.95
11-12|3.30|3.74
12-13|3.32|3.35

Now I suppose that you can make the argument that despite the increase in PP's in the playoffs they still allow more obstruction, and I do not know how you could prove that one way or another.

But at least by measurable ways, PP opportunities, refs do not seem to be letting up on calls as is widely assumed at HF and elsewhere.

PP's don't decrease but the bar to get a penalty is definitely raised. I have no way of proving that with data, but the game definitely seems to turn into an obstruction fest.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
Completely agree. They are getting the puck up the ice quickly like DB hockey, but it's always with speed and support. They really are like a well oiled machine.

The ONLY time I've seen issues moving the puck out of the zone lately is when it's on Lovejoy's stick. Replace him with Pouliot and I doubt we'd have any issues.

Back end speed is the biggest difference, IMO. It doesn't seem likely Bylsma would have adjusted from the stretch pass strategy but he may have had the D core consisted of as much speed as this one does.

How many times has Daley or Letang destroyed a trap by just gliding through it? Unreal to watch.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

I agree. Lovejoy should be replaced by DP. Sadly, that will never happen though. It's hard to ***** though with the team playing so well, and it's also nice having someone who is actually an improvement waiting to replace an injured player.

DP is currently our best 5v5 scorer on D
our best SF% D
2nd best GF%

Regardless, the kid is much more talented and effective that both Cole and Lovejoy.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Fun little fact. Matt Cullen is on pace to play all 82 games. The last time he did that was in 2000-2001 :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad