Proposal: Flyers - Maple Leafs

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Scrap the entire OP trade and tell us what takes to get Myers from Philly?
Not available.

Provy Ghost
Sanheim Myers

That is the Flyers future top 4....assuming they can convince Seattle to leave Sanheim/Myers alone. Myers is also the only top 4 RHD prospect they have. They just are not going to move him.

After that, the Flyers have:

Hagg Gudas(for 1.5 years)
AMac Folin

Morin Friedman
Hogberg
Kalynuk
Bernhardt
Ginning

As you can see...lots of LHD...not so much for the right side. Thank god Ghost can play they right side.

I just don't think either Gudas or Myers would be available this year. Next summer, maybe Gudas depending on what king of year Myers, Friedman and Morin end up having.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
This helps Toronto and does nothing for Philly. The Leafs give up a bunch of nothing for a decent player in Simmonds. Philly says no without a second thought.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I would never trade that much for Simmonds, but that’s still cheaper than I think his trade value is. I think this is as fair a deal as you can make between Toronto and Philly honestly. Only criticisms I have are that we don’t have enough quality depth to afford losing Gudas right now (MacD would be the one who needs to move). That and Toronto would probably be smarter I’m trying to trade that package for D help over any forward in the league really.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
In a vacuum, it is fair value, but I think if I were moving those pieces I would want to add a better defenseman, even if we added more on top of what is here.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
If the leafs are moving pieces like their 1&2 round picks in 2019 and a cost controlled middle 6 winger like Kapanen then a singular player better than Simmonds and Gudas (both fit and skill) are coming the other way.

Last edited:

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
That's a sweet deal for Toronto. Not sure Philly would do it, but it's probably close in value and would depend on if Myers make the team or not I guess.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
As much as I like Simmonds, he's a rental for us and a solid RHD is more important. Otherwise we stay the course and see how the season plays out and make a move at the deadline.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
To Philly :

Kasperi Kapanen
2019 1st
(unprotected)
2020 2nd conditional (becomes the 1st if TOR reached the ECF at least one time in the next 2 seasons)

To Toronto :

Wayne Simmonds
Radko Gudas
(1.5M retained)

Pros for Toronto :

· RHD to sheltered Liljegren
· Grittiness for playoffs
· No long-term money commitment

Pros for Philly :

· Sweet European 3rd line with U23 players looking for a breakout season; Lindblom – Vorobyev – Kapanen
· More PP time for Patrick/JVR
· Open spot for Myers
· More 1st round pick!

Let the hate begin.
Makes very little sense for the Leafs. Their PP is already excellent, so no need for Simmonds, especially at that price.
I'd do a smaller deal for Gudas though.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Leafs need a consistent top 4 D (not a superstar) and good young cap friendly forwards moving forward.
We don't need rentals or guys poised to make 6 + million dollars. As much as I like Simmonds, it's not affordable.
We are set up front with the core, players like Kapanen and Johnsson are must haves to surround them with. Taking up small portions of the cap. That's why JVR is a Flyer and not a Leaf.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Hey look! It's another "Leafs need a RHD, let's try to poach their talent" thread.

#nope.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Don't know how Liljegren got into the discussion for this year, as he's going to be a Marlie.
Gudas is no better than the the other bottom end RHD that the Leafs currently have, so what would be the point. Despite his handiness, is he really NHL good?
Simmons is definitely a just a one year rental, so I don't think the Leaf need him that badly, Admitting both players had something "grit" the Leafs might like, but not sure the trade make the Leafs better.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Nope. We're not trying to trade our young cost controlled assets (Kapanen, 1sts) for bottom pairing guys and UFA's.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I love how the reactions to this idea are all over the place, even within the two fanbases.
That's because there's no deal to be made here.

With expensive forwards, Leafs need good players that are cheap. Like Kapanen and (possibly) what we get with the picks.
Also, I don't care for the idea of not picking in the first 2 rounds in June.

Philly sounds like they want more than Kapanen and a late 1st and late 2nd for that package.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
I’m hesitant to trade Gudas until Myers transitions. I should think next offseason is the time to entertain that.

Shouldn’t think the Leafs would have much interest in Simmonds especially at the price we would be asking.

Don’t see a deal here at all

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm not sure there's a bigger disconnect between on ice play and general fan perception in the league than Gudas now that most fans have caught up on the Russell types.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
The Flyers have no motivation to trade their skilled 6'5" 21 year old smooth-skating RHD.

As for the deal, it's an interesting thought...
Doesn't matter what the flyers think. I want him. You WILL take a third.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad