Proposal: Flyers - Maple Leafs

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
To Philly :

Kasperi Kapanen
2019 1st
(unprotected)
2020 2nd conditional (becomes the 1st if TOR reached the ECF at least one time in the next 2 seasons)

To Toronto :

Wayne Simmonds
Radko Gudas
(1.5M retained)

Pros for Toronto :

· RHD to sheltered Liljegren
· Grittiness for playoffs
· No long-term money commitment

Pros for Philly :

· Sweet European 3rd line with U23 players looking for a breakout season; Lindblom – Vorobyev – Kapanen
· More PP time for Patrick/JVR
· Open spot for Myers
· More 1st round pick!

Let the hate begin.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Leafs fan saying yes.

But Simmonds would most likely be a rental because Idk how we can afford him with Tavares and Big 3 trying to get locked up.

But Simmonds is the exact type of player the teams needs to complement its forward group

Reactions: Devonator

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Leaf fan saying no, the Leafs cannot afford Simmonds long term and he isnt the rental we need to put us over the edge.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Simmonds is an amazing player but we all ready have a super solid top 9 I'd be more intrested in one of the Flyers Young D man for a package like the one you stated above

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'd be happy to get both Simmonds and Gudas, but Kappy and two firsts is a little bit too much considering that Simmonds would be a rental.

I'd probably value a season (or deadline, doesn't really matter tbh) of Simmonds as a 1st + 2nd and Gudas as a 2nd + prospect. I value Kapanen as being worth more than one of the firsts, so I'd do Kapanen and 2019 1st OR 2019 1st, 3rd, and 2020 1st.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Value ain't bad but makes no sense for us, as we can't afford to lock up Simmonds long-term so he's legitimately just a rental for us.

Maybe a move you make if Nylander gets traded for a young equivalent defenseman type player, but otherwise makes little sense for us.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
zero need for Philly to do this. no need for Kapanen. Philly doesn't need anymore forwards. they have too many as it is. what they need is depth on D, and this hurts that.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Honestly, I like the deal.

I'd rather work a deal around kapanen+ for Simmonds and then move Nylander in a deal for a better RD.

Simmonds can easily replace Nylander albeit perhaps not with the same upside but easily a top6 replacement.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
zero need for Philly to do this. no need for Kapanen. Philly doesn't need anymore forwards. they have too many as it is. what they need is depth on D, and this hurts that.

Same can be said for Toronto. We need defenders. Rental forwards, not so much. We can't do a long term deal for Simmonds.

Doesn't appear to be a need for either team.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
To Philly :

Kasperi Kapanen
2019 1st
(unprotected)
2020 2nd conditional (becomes the 1st if TOR reached the ECF at least one time in the next 2 seasons)

To Toronto :

Wayne Simmonds
Radko Gudas
(1.5M retained)

Pros for Toronto :

· RHD to sheltered Liljegren
· Grittiness for playoffs
· No long-term money commitment

Pros for Philly :

· Sweet European 3rd line with U23 players looking for a breakout season; Lindblom – Vorobyev – Kapanen
· More PP time for Patrick/JVR
· Open spot for Myers
· More 1st round pick!

Let the hate begin.
Gudas is not the Dman that the leafs need. His puck moving skills are marginally better than Hainsey

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
If I was putting a bunch of the Leafs best futures in a trade, I'd look for just one defenseman in return. Simmonds is a nice piece, RW for the leafs is Marner, Nylander, Brown and then likely Kapanen. The impact of upgrading to Simmonds for a year would probably be pretty marginal

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
the flyers need centers no? if patrick doesnt perform or maybe to ease him in. i think a deal around a dman going out and a center going in would be good for the flyers... i think.

or maybe prospect swap, i think Frost is there best center prospect and not much behind that.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I don't really see the need to tinker with the lineup.
There is 1 position that management should look into addressing. Giving up cap friendly assets like Kapanen and other potentially cap friendly assets( 1st/2nd rd picks) without addressing that need shouldn't be given much consideration. Have to keep the longterm picture in focus or risk screwing it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarmore

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Pretty fair value. Would do it if we had the cap space to sign Simmonds, but unfortunately I don’t think we would be able to.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I like Simmonds . I would probably do this deal. Not that bi9g a fan of Gudas, but he is a better option on the right side that would help Hainsey move into a more less minutes and PK role. Though keeping Simmonds would be a big concern.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
the flyers need centers no? if patrick doesnt perform or maybe to ease him in. i think a deal around a dman going out and a center going in would be good for the flyers... i think.

or maybe prospect swap, i think Frost is there best center prospect and not much behind that.

We just kinda maybe need a stopgap center until Frost is ready, which might be as soon as September. We also have Vorobyev who'll be fighting for a spot. Ideally, we'd have signed a guy like Stastny.

We just need to the young guys to keep stepping up into key roles more than anything else.

Reactions: Tripod

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
We just kinda maybe need a stopgap center until Frost is ready, which might be as soon as September. We also have Vorobyev who'll be fighting for a spot. Ideally, we'd have signed a guy like Stastny.

We just need to the young guys to keep stepping up into key roles more than anything else.
yeah i agree flyers defs have a few guys that might be ready but its uncertain for sure, i think after training camp knowing how the rosters are going to be, the flyers should defs go after a short term center if the cost isnt too bad, and try to make some noise this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad