Post-Game Talk: Flyers lose. (Ottawa 4-3, 1-0 in shootout)

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Dale Weise 6-4 10 in 14 games with Couts.
Case closed.

Konecny can score, but Gagner could score as well, and he's bounced around the league.

To be a top 6 forward you also have to be responsible defensively, not necessarily Couts' level, but at least to the point where you're a positive xGF% player. That's what Konency had to learn, it's not enough to make plays, you can't make plays for the other team as well.

Ghost is close to a finished product, but Provorov, Konecny and Patrick have a lot of upside left.
Which is good.

You didn't just compared Konecny to Weise did you? Konecny is a signfiicantly better and different player. He adds speed, skill, and some physicality on the top line while Weise would only deliver physicality to a line at best. Utilizing your players to their best ability is the best way to be an effective coach. It is why a smart coach wouldn't ever put Weise on the #1 or #2 PP.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Dale Weise 6-4 10 in 14 games with Couts.
Case closed.

1496935504606.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You didn't just compared Konecny to Weise did you? Konecny is a signfiicantly better and different player. He adds speed, skill, and some physicality on the top line while Weise would only deliver physicality to a line at best. Utilizing your players to their best ability is the best way to be an effective coach. It is why a smart coach wouldn't ever put Weise on the #1 or #2 PP.

Reading comprehension, first look at the post that I was responding to, then my post. Then respond.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Reading comprehension, first look at the post that I was responding to, then my post. Then respond.

I’m well aware it was in reference to Couturier elevating players but you’re totally wrong.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One example with sss and does not meet the criteria = earth shattering retort. Ok. Good to know.

Just to be clear, that was derision and mockery. How was your comprehension on that? :m-dance:

Contempt for the author.

"All you zombies . . ."

Reactions: JXC

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Now you're going to try to say that Hakstol worked some crazy magic and that Konecny finally got it, and suddenly became a PPG player out of the middle of nowhere because he started listening to Hak or some stupid ass bull****. No! You're wrong! Hak just finally put him in a position to succeed, and Konecny ****ing ran with it.

Just to be totally clear here:

01669CCB-40A2-45C8-A736-31D33DF35512.jpeg

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Just to be totally clear here:

View attachment 96225
You post this a lot, but it falls flat. It was apparent to 99% of people that watched Konecny that he was ready for a bigger role and just needed a little help to get going. Not every player can do it all by themselves (look at Jake when he was playing with Filppula and Raffl). A better analogy would be throwing a plain chicken breast on a plate and expecting it to be just as good as a full course meal that includes chicken.

You and a few others really need to quit it with this narrative that Konecny has turned some corner. He is playing the exact same, he just isn't expected to do everything on his own.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
You post this a lot, but it falls flat. It was apparent to 99% of people that watched Konecny that he was ready for a bigger role and just needed a little help to get going. Not every player can do it all by themselves (look at Jake when he was playing with Filppula and Raffl). A better analogy would be throwing a plain chicken breast on a plate and expecting it to be just as good as a full course meal that includes chicken.
But the coaches didn't with all his giveaways but now he's playing smart hockey to go with all the skills.

Reactions: JXC

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
But the coaches didn't with all his giveaways but now he's playing smart hockey to go with all the skills.
He doesn't have to do it all by himself so he doesnt try to force things as much, its not like he stopped making mistakes, he still makes dumb passes and turnovers, but when he has help there is less pressure on him.

Reactions: Rebels57

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
He doesn't have to do it all by himself so he doesnt try to force things as much, its not like he stopped making mistakes, he still makes dumb passes and turnovers, but when he has help there is less pressure on him.
Not the same type of turnovers. Every coach plays kids a small amount till they think they are ready to roll. Hak did a great job with Patrick and Konecny.

FrustratedFlyer

Feb 4, 2018
Not the same type of turnovers. Every coach plays kids a small amount till they think they are ready to roll. Hak did a great job with Patrick and Konecny.

This is interesting without knowing what's being said internally. Whilst I don't see Haktard as a great coach I'm not privy to what is going on so it may well be down to some pointers he's given the boys. Whilst Patrick had his minutes shortened dramatically (still think it was just a matter of time with his recovery from injury) and Konecny was benched I can't understand the treatment of Sanheim relative to AMac and Manning. He looked reasonable on the eye test in comparison and I'd have liked to have seen him slow roasted in the big team rather than demotion. Shame about Morin's injuries as I think he stays in the team if he'd had a prolonged run

With Frost (fast on his skates but very deliberate) and Konecny we could have 2 lightning quick players for zone entries with the IQ of the top 6 able to position themselves well around them. Hell even Laughton has decent footspeed too

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

You and a few others really need to quit it with this narrative that Konecny has turned some corner. He is playing the exact same, he just isn't expected to do everything on his own.

Some contrarians just like to embarrass themselves. Being different is more important than being correct.

I don't know if he doesn't realize he's doing it or if he does realize, but doesn't care.

Either way, the result is the same.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim started awful, then had a good stretch, then regressed.
If the team hadn't started winning they might have hung with him, but it's hard to play a clueless rookie when the team is hot, and Sanheim simply wasn't finishing plays, nice Corsi, but 5 points in 35 games for an offensive defenseman is not good production.

So sending him down was a reasonable thing to do.
Now if Manning doesn't come out of his funk, he should be replaced (though he's been better the last couple games).
But it certainly isn't hurting Sanheim to be playing a bunch of minutes with Myers as the drivers of the LHV offense.

Hextall is far more worried about Sanheim next year, when he'll almost certainly be starting, than a month of shaky play this year.
If Sanheim and Myers continue to dominate, at some point it won't surprise me if both come up for a playoff run if the Flyers are still in contention.
But Hextall will want to see this continue for 15-20 games, not 5.

The best way to get promoted is to totally dominate your current level, Sanheim dominated in juniors, not so much the AHL.
Same with Myers and Lindblom, none is having the kind of AHL season that screams "heads and shoulders" above the competition.
Solid years that demonstrate good progress, but not the kind that demands they be promoted.

FrustratedFlyer

Feb 4, 2018
Fair enough deady. I thought despite the lack of points that he was doing the right things just without the reward. Can't disagree that he went through a funk but I thought he came out of that albeit without point production. Agree I'm happy for him to be building minutes in LV with Myers and it'd be good if Morin could get healthy again to rotate through with him as well and build some chemistry.

I have my doubts whether the organisation will have enough faith to continue with Morin let alone give Morin, Sanheim and Myers an extended look. Lindblom's play recently has to be worthy of consideration but also happy to agree he needs to show over an extended duration of games. I guess we'll see shortly what Hexy will do given Manning is UFA. If he extends him I fear the worst

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
If the team hadn't started winning they might have hung with him, but it's hard to play a clueless rookie when the team is hot, and Sanheim simply wasn't finishing plays, nice Corsi, but 5 points in 35 games for an offensive defenseman is not good production.

Now if Manning doesn't come out of his funk, he should be replaced (though he's been better the last couple games).
But it certainly isn't hurting Sanheim to be playing a bunch of minutes with Myers as the drivers of the LHV offense.

Hextall is far more worried about Sanheim next year, when he'll almost certainly be starting, than a month of shaky play this year.
If Sanheim and Myers continue to dominate, at some point it won't surprise me if both come up for a playoff run if the Flyers are still in contention.

The best way to get promoted is to totally dominate your current level, Sanheim dominated in juniors, not so much the AHL.
Same with Myers and Lindblom, none is having the kind of AHL season that screams "heads and shoulders" above the competition.
Solid years that demonstrate good progress, but not the kind that demands they be promoted.
Quit it with that nonsense that the team started winning when Sanheim sat. He played 11 games between his two week tour of the press box and the 10 game losing streak, in that time the team went 7-3-1, since then they went 10-6-0 (he played in the Rags loss). They are not that much better without him.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

tumblr_o3u8gjzBB31s2wio8o1_500.gif

+2.3 E+/- in 35 games. Compare that to someone's -6.0!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Quit it with that nonsense that the team started winning when Sanheim sat. He played 11 games between his two week tour of the press box and the 10 game losing streak, in that time the team went 7-3-1, since then they went 10-6-0 (he played in the Rags loss). They are not that much better without him.

Never said they were better without him, but they weren't worse either.
So it wasn't unreasonable to send him down for more seasoning, AT THAT TIME.
It may well make sense to promote some players in a few weeks.

Things change over the course of a season, and young players are often demoted to start their careers to get a fresh start (see Laughton).

I don't think Hextall thought the team would be this competitive, and with the trade deadline coming up he has to make some tough decisions - if they were bad, play the kids, if Elliott/Neuvirth looked like a hot playoff combo trade for a veteran upgrade - but they're just in the lukewarm zone where there is no right decision.

I think in the next three weeks, as he approaches the trade deadline, Hextall will have to commit, one way or another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad