News Article: Flyers interested in getting Read extended

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I see a range of about $3.5 to $5.5. The lower obviously being the extreme discount and the higher being the overpayment. If he makes it to the open market (and has a similar season to what he has done thus far), I could easily see a team offering him like $5 million. Could be a Ville Leino type of situation. Guy comes out of nowhere, has a good run with a team, then cashes in on another team's overpayment.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I think Read ends up with a Stephen Weiss contract (5 years, $24.5 million). The thing about Read and why he'll be in high demand is that he's versatile. He can play any wing. He can play in an offensive role. He can play in a defensive role. He's used on the power play. He's a key part of the penalty kill. He can play on the top line and he can play in a checking line role. Those types of players always get paid because they do so much.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I think Read ends up with a Stephen Weiss contract (5 years, $24.5 million). The thing about Read and why he'll be in high demand is that he's versatile. He can play any wing. He can play in an offensive role. He can play in a defensive role. He's used on the power play. He's a key part of the penalty kill. He can play on the top line and he can play in a checking line role. Those types of players always get paid because they do so much.

Thats the type of deal he gets as a ufa, if not higher. I think Flyers are trying to get a much lower cap hit tho. He cant stay for 4.9 per, way to much for a 3rd liner and no way should Flyers pay him more that Jake. Anything over 3.75 per and i think you gotta let him go. Unless the term is 2 yrs.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Thats the type of deal he gets as a ufa, if not higher. I think Flyers are trying to get a much lower cap hit tho. He cant stay for 4.9 per, way to much for a 3rd liner and no way should Flyers pay him more that Jake. Anything over 3.75 per and i think you gotta let him go. Unless the term is 2 yrs.

Jake was also an RFA when he re-signed. Big difference. As for Read being a "3rd liner", that's only during regular strength and he still produces. The whole mentality of "well, he's a 3rd liner so he should be paid X amount of dollars" is rather outdated. Read can fill in on various lines of this club. If he's anywhere else, he's a solid 2nd liner with 60 point upside.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Jake was also an RFA when he re-signed. Big difference. As for Read being a "3rd liner", that's only during regular strength and he still produces. The whole mentality of "well, he's a 3rd liner so he should be paid X amount of dollars" is rather outdated. Read can fill in on various lines of this club. If he's anywhere else, he's a solid 2nd liner with 60 point upside.

Only Giroux had a higher ATOI than Read amongst Flyer forwards last season. Read is certainly more valuable than your typical third liner.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well not signing Cleary to that terrible rumored deal means Read is more likely to stay now.

RJ8812*

whoever claims that Read is "only a 3rd liner" needs to give their head a shake

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I feel a good comparison here, both contractually and stylistically, is a player like Pascal Dupuis who just signed for 4 years at 3.75m.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I feel a good comparison here, both contractually and stylistically, is a player like Pascal Dupuis who just signed for 4 years at 3.75m.

I don't think so. Dupuis is in his 30s and I think only scored what Read has scored like twice in his career. The thinking with Read would be that he is younger so he will get better. I think a better comparison is Ville Leino. A guy who came out of nowhere and got a late start. That's the type of contract I think he'll get.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
whoever claims that Read is "only a 3rd liner" needs to give their head a shake

He is better , but not sure how he will be on top 2 lines in philly in next few years. Just cap mgmt wise, i dont want to pay 5 mill for someone to play on our 3rd line when defense and other areas need improving.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I don't think so. Dupuis is in his 30s and I think only scored what Read has scored like twice in his career. The thinking with Read would be that he is younger so he will get better. I think a better comparison is Ville Leino. A guy who came out of nowhere and got a late start. That's the type of contract I think he'll get.

Ville Leino to Matt Read? Sounds like thats picked out of a hat. How do you figure other than height and that they came out of nowhere? They play nothing alike and sit at opposite ends of the table in terms of what they bring to a teams lineup. Dupuis is a far better comparison, agree to disagree I suppose-but theres just nothing there.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Given that there's already talk in the media, usually for the Flyers, that means the extension isn't far away

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I don't know about this. Read's most appealing aspect is his cap hit. Increase that and he's not that special, certainly replaceable. I'd re-sign him for $2.5 or less but nothing more than that.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Given that there's already talk in the media, usually for the Flyers, that means the extension isn't far away

Yeah, I can't think of very many cases, at least where the Flyers are concerned, in which talks were leaked in the media only to have things break down and eventually come out nil.

These are all good things. Read signing sooner is much better for us.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
4 million or under is my hope. If he wants more, I would be looking to trade him with a d-man for a cheap d-man with upside.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Of course the guy is a lot more than your ordinary 3rd liner and deserves a way higher contract then other 3rd liners. But since we have our top 6 set with long contracts (ok, obviously not Schenn) I dont think we can offer him more than a slightly better 3rd liner contract. I dont see him bumping anyone out of the top 6 that soon, not to mention couturier would probably be the guy who does it before him.
Plus, i would not compare his situation to Leinos, Read combined two great seasons doing what ever he was asked to, and playing which ever position needed to be played, Leino was just a one hit wonder that resulted from some good chemistry in the Briere Hartnel line... not to mention that Leino was older at the time when he signed with buffalo than Read will be next summer.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
The flyers have about 11 mil to spend under the current cap number next year and the cap is suppose to go up another 6 mil to about 70. So 17 mil for two goalies (probably will be around 5 mil total), B. Schenn (prob 3+), Matt Read, a 12th forward, and two top 6 defensemen. The defense will be the big question. If Gus and Alt make it next year, it won't be a problem to sign Read. If they want to bring another high priced dman in or Timmo back with trading Grossman or Coburn, than I don't see how Read fits.

Unless of course the Flyers are not too happy with B. Schenn, which I find interesting they haven't resigned him or that there isnt much discussion about resigning him out there yet.

you're forgetting that Giroux's caphit goes up dramatically next year. that's 4.5m gone right there. the #1 priority will be trying to replace Kimo. the team will be without a #1 D, and have no goalies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Read can get 4-5, he may settle for less to stay. Hockey players sometimes are weird and take discounts (whether its right or wrong, who knows) I think the only way the sign him to a deal is if he accepts a discount. I'd be surprised if they try to fit him at 4-5/yr. I think they want him in the 3-4.

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
I just can't see the team paying him what he's going to want. The top 6 are likely set for a few years, we have a lot of promising talent that can't all fit in the bottom 6, especially with Read. It's not that it wouldn't be terrific to keep him, it's that I don't see the team needing him badly enough to overpay him. But I could be very wrong.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
you're forgetting that Giroux's caphit goes up dramatically next year. that's 4.5m gone right there. the #1 priority will be trying to replace Kimo. the team will be without a #1 D, and have no goalies.

Those numbers include Giroux's new cap hit. I see whoever wins the goalie duel this year getting around 3.5 and a new back up getting at most 1.5 or some kind of combination to make about 5 mil total (unless one of them has a Vezina trophy season). Your right about replacing Kimmo. He had hinted he might want to go another year. If the young guys develop though like Alt and Gus, the Flyers could get rid of Grossman as those two combined would cost about as much as he does.

http://www.capgeek.com/flyers/

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I would love to keep Read. He's the type of guy that you win championships with. Puts your team over the edge with a guy as talented as Read playing that deep in the lineup.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I don't know about this. Read's most appealing aspect is his cap hit. Increase that and he's not that special, certainly replaceable. I'd re-sign him for $2.5 or less but nothing more than that.

He plays RW,C,LW, PPa nd PK and 40+ points. Nothing special? I know he isn't rough and tough or scores 100 points but there are also not ALOT of players that do everything and still put up points.
Obviously I wouldn't overpay for him but I'd try to keep him if possible. Less than 4 mil is good and I do think possible.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If you extend read, I'm think you move somebody else. Read if he gets paid 3.5-4 will just be far to expensive as a 3rd line winger and if he plays the 2nd line then somebody like Schenn/Simmonds get bumped (who again will be getting paid 3-4M each.

This is why the team gets in cap hell, everybody and their grandmom gets paid like 3-4M, some get 8M (deserved). Look at a lot of the successful teams, how many are paying any of their bottom 6 guys more than 3M, hell maybe even 2M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad