News Article: Flyers interested in getting Read extended

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Would be nice but I don't really see how. Sure Kimmo and Mez will be gone but it's not like the team won't have holes to fill and big decisions to be made (goal-tending specifically).

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Would love for this to happen. Big Matt Read fan.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=682549

I to would like to see him signed. But as we all know this is a business and Matt will be a UFA next year if he so chooses. The Flyers may have to over pay him in order to lock him up for years to come. But with the cap going up(I hope) after this season, I think they have to do it.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I agree. The money that Read should arguably be expecting is pretty much already spent elsewhere.

The flyers have about 11 mil to spend under the current cap number next year and the cap is suppose to go up another 6 mil to about 70. So 17 mil for two goalies (probably will be around 5 mil total), B. Schenn (prob 3+), Matt Read, a 12th forward, and two top 6 defensemen. The defense will be the big question. If Gus and Alt make it next year, it won't be a problem to sign Read. If they want to bring another high priced dman in or Timmo back with trading Grossman or Coburn, than I don't see how Read fits.

Unless of course the Flyers are not too happy with B. Schenn, which I find interesting they haven't resigned him or that there isnt much discussion about resigning him out there yet.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Matt Read is the kind of skilled depth player you win the cup with. I hope we do resign him rather than him getting sent off to win a cup elsewhere.

I also don't expect him to cost an outrageous amount. Maybe 1.75-2.5 mill per year

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I think this year if he puts up big numbers he will demand 3/4 mil....

But with the cap going up... do you give it to him even with the potential of Kimmo/Mez/Etc: coming off the books

edit: I'd like to retain him!

Zod

Disappointment Train
May 31, 2011
If they can get him on a good deal to fit him on the keepers list, it'd be amazing. He's a great player and is a huge asset for the team.

I won't hold my breath, though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Matt Read is the kind of skilled depth player you win the cup with. I hope we do resign him rather than him getting sent off to win a cup elsewhere.

I also don't expect him to cost an outrageous amount. Maybe 1.75-2.5 mill per year

As a UFA, probably more than that, especially if he has a good year. He'll have a better resume than Ville Leino did when he went UFA. Of course, Terry Pegula was also stupid.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I show him what Voracek and Simmonds make...then pray to God he REALLY appreciates Philly for giving him a chance out of College.

Flyerfan808

Apr 28, 2007
Honolulu, HI
if i'm read i settle for nothing less than 4 mill a year and try to get leino money or higher.

If I was Matt Read I would do the same. He is definitely one of the most underpaid players on this team, been playing for 900k per season for a few years now when he is easily worth 4 times that.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
It will be closer to 5 than that number...

Kadri just signed for 2.9 I doubt Read is going to get much more then 2.5-3 unless he lights it up and waits until the end of the season if he chooses this option the Flyers will trade him shortly

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Kadri just signed for 2.9 I doubt Read is going to get much more then 2.5-3 unless he lights it up and waits until the end of the season if he chooses this option the Flyers will trade him shortly

Read is a UFA, not an RFA like Kadri. There's nothing stopping him from walking away to the highest bidder next July. I've been saying it since last season, but I wouldn't fault the guy at all for signing for the maximum that he could get. This is likely to be the only big money deal he'll get as an NHL player. At some point, he has to think about his long term financial security.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
UFA's tend to get overpaid but the reality is if he goes this route he will be traded. Flyers will lock him up before season starts is my guess for the numbers I suggested. Kid hasnt done anything to deserve more then 2.5- 3 million (I like him a lot but so far he doesnt deserve that kind of contract). Mason Raymond cant even get a guaranteed job and yet Read is going for 4-5 million?????????

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
4 yrs , 15 mill is what i would try , or 2 yrs 8 mill. But he could get more as a ufa. Although should not put up huge points on 3rd line.

Spongolium*

He is going to command at minimum 4 mil a season. He has the right to ask for 5.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
UFA's tend to get overpaid but the reality is if he goes this route he will be traded. Flyers will lock him up before season starts is my guess for the numbers I suggested. Kid hasnt done anything to deserve more then 2.5- 3 million (I like him a lot but so far he doesnt deserve that kind of contract). Mason Raymond cant even get a guaranteed job and yet Read is going for 4-5 million?????????

Read is an incredibly versatile player that teams would highly value on the open market. All it takes is one team to value him at 4-5 million a year for that to be his value. Like I said, there are a lot factors that go into his next deal, and it being his only big deal of his career might be the biggest. If he takes a team friendly deal, it's because he really wants to stay here, not because he's already banked millions.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Have you seen what UFAs got this offseason? If Read puts up close to 50 points again he'll get double those figures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad