Speculation: Flyers in the market for a vet top 4 d-man?

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I’ll start off by simply saying, when Niskanen pulled the plug on his career during the offseason, it caught the team by surprise. It’s clear that from a top 4 perspective, this team needs some stability, vet presence and someone who can help right the ship, especially with Myers currently out and Gus playing horridly. This player needs to likely be on a 1 year deal due to the ED coming. Someone like Martinez comes to mind.

Who else might be or eventually become available?

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
This thread should have been posted during the off season, but I'm for it 100%. I think the Flyers should be offering players like Voracek-JVR- and Giroux (even though Giroux has an annoying NMC, which I'd love to see waived).

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Josh Manson.

Definitely would be willing to inquire. But he’s out 6 weeks. That doesn’t really help Philly presently.
Also, I just realized he put up 37 points only a few seasons ago. Was that an aberration?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What do the Flyers need, a LHD or RHD? Offensive(I.e. PP), or defensive Dman(PK). Does he need to be big and physical, or is speed more of a wish? BTW, "top 4" covers a lot of ground.

I realize that they would ideally want a large, physical, Dman who skates like the wind, can put up 40 points, and is a defensive stopper and ambidextrous, but ya gotta be realistic. The contract situation needed thins out the talent pool available even more.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Didn’t Niskanen announce his retirement before free agency started? Sooo how was this such a surprise for the team, catching them off guard?

200.gif

They had ample time to sign or trade for someone else during the off-season. It’s not like he announced this right before the season started.

Last edited:

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
What do the Flyers need, a LHD or RHD? Offensive(I.e. PP), or defensive Dman(PK). Does he need to be big and physical, or is speed more of a wish? BTW, "top 4" covers a lot of ground.

I realize that they would ideally want a large, physical, Dman who skates like the wind, can put up 40 points, and is a defensive stopper and ambidextrous, but ya gotta be realistic.

Likely a physical RHD, defensively sound guy with a solid first pass that can cover for a guy like a Gus, Ghost or Provy jumping up into the play. Any offensive ability would be considered to be an asset but as you say, they would have to be realistic about what’s available.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Definitely would be willing to inquire. But he’s out 6 weeks. That doesn’t really help Philly presently.
Also, I just realized he put up 37 points only a few seasons ago. Was that an aberration?

An aberration. He is not an offensive guy. He plays his best as a stay at hone guy who moves the puck really well.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
MN probably isn't a fit.
Dumba is decent defensively, and like to hit, but he's really an offensive guy at heart. He is signed for two more years, also, so trading for him would just cause problems at the ED.
Soucy is a big guy, good defensively, decent with the puck, and looked good when he was playing with Brodin last year in the top 4, but he is a LHD (though is playing RD presently, and did with Brodin), and just signed a 3 year deal. I don't think he would be cheap to acquire either... Guerin obviously likes him, and expects him to hold down the third pairing in the future, or move up the line up if necessary. He might slip under the radar at the ED, but i doubt it, as the Seattle analytics guy used to work for the Wild before Fenton fired/quit him.

Reactions: BernieParent

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
The only problem is that he is an UFA at seasons end and the OP wanted someone with a year of term left.

Sorry, should have clarified. A UFA at the end of this season, because of the coming expansion draft in June, would probably make most sense. They need to be able to protect their young d core (Provy, Sanheim, Myers) and the dman in question would likely be lost in the draft regardless.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sorry, should have clarified. A UFA at the end of this season, because of the coming expansion draft in June, would probably make most sense. They need to be able to protect their young d core (Provy, Sanheim, Myers) and the dman in question would likely be lost in the draft regardless.

Then Larsson is your guy.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Didn’t Niskanen announce his retirement before free agency started? Sooo how was this such a surprise for the team, catching them off guard?

200.gif

They had ample time to sign or trade for someone else during the off-season. It’s not like he announced this right before the season started.
Myers injury and Ghost catching covid sure caught flyers off guard.

Fletcher signing Gus caught Flyers fans off guard.For a team needing defense what kind of buffoon would say Gus is the answer.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
John Moore sounds perfect. Bruins look to be strong on the back end with a few other young guys waiting in the wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad