Speculation: Flyers in the market for a vet top 4 d-man?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The only problem is that he is an UFA at seasons end and the OP wanted someone with a year of term left.
ufa's or players ed exempt are what make most sense. Flyers are keeping Sanheim, Provorov, Myers so it makes no sense to trade for say a Dumba and lose in ed. rhd is preferable. So names like Savard, Larsson, Moutour are probably the names in view. Savard being no 1 if available.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
ufa's or players ed exempt are what make most sense. Flyers are keeping Sanheim, Provorov, Myers so it makes no sense to trade for say a Dumba and lose in ed. rhd is preferable. So names like Savard, Larsson, Moutour are probably the names in view. Savard being no 1 if available.

I would definitely rate Savard over Larsson, but the acquisition cost is likely less on Larsson.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Savard would be a great target, but I think that CBJ will want to re-sign him. Maybe Larsson, too. Both CBJ and EDM cannot afford to lose those players, though. Both clearly want to compete this year. EDM, especially, can't lose another top 4 Dman right now, after losing Klefbom for the season.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Savard would be a great target, but I think that CBJ will want to re-sign him. Maybe Larsson, too. Both CBJ and EDM cannot afford to lose those players, though. Both clearly want to compete this year. EDM, especially, can't lose another top 4 Dman right now, after losing Klefbom for the season.

It depends on how we view Bouchard in terms of NHL readiness. Russell can play RD if need be. Our issue isn't quantity, it's quality.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Larsson is playing behind Bear and Barrie on the third pairing right now.

The team seems to overvalue the vets though, so he probably won't be moved even though they absolutely should if they can improve the roster elsewhere.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
What do the Flyers need, a LHD or RHD? Offensive(I.e. PP), or defensive Dman(PK). Does he need to be big and physical, or is speed more of a wish? BTW, "top 4" covers a lot of ground.

I realize that they would ideally want a large, physical, Dman who skates like the wind, can put up 40 points, and is a defensive stopper and ambidextrous, but ya gotta be realistic. The contract situation needed thins out the talent pool available even more.
1) rhd more than lhd

2) They have Provorov, Ghost, and Gus for pp and don't need that. No Tyson Barrie type offers please. The need a legit defensive defenseman who is not as slow as Braun. Without Myers they are also not physical enough. If Nick Ritchie can park in front of the net and eat a ham sandwich in front without being bothered, when the better physical power forwards play them it is going to be ugly.

3)A 4 is most realistic and the best the Flyers would be able to obtain unless Savard became available and you think he is a 3 (I would say more 4 but not going to flip out on that one.). Adding a 2/3 d man with multiple years on the contract is stupid as they would lose in ed in a year.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Ghost is available, oh wait the Flyers are now looking to add to the defense instead of trading away defenseman.

It’s only 6 games into the season against 3 teams, I wouldn’t start overreacting quite yet especially since no one had a preseason also Ghost hasn’t played a game yet...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Larsson is playing behind Bear and Barrie on the third pairing right now.

The team seems to overvalue the vets though, so he probably won't be moved even though they absolutely should if they can improve the roster elsewhere.
I don't know if Larsson's play has really fallen off, but i do know that Barrie is not a Dman that can be depended upon to play defense. Don't know enough about Bear to comment, but thought he tended more towards offense than defense. I know EDM is an offense oriented team, but wouldn't removing Larsson from the equation this year be risky? Who are the defensive Dmen on the team?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I’ll start off by simply saying, when Niskanen pulled the plug on his career during the offseason, it caught the team by surprise. It’s clear that from a top 4 perspective, this team needs some stability, vet presence and someone who can help right the ship, especially with Myers currently out and Gus playing horridly. This player needs to likely be on a 1 year deal due to the ED coming. Someone like Martinez comes to mind.

Who else might be or eventually become available?
Who said the Flyers were in the market for a top 4 defenseman?

The title is worded kinda funny as if someone is blowing smoke but that’s JMO.

It’s also odd you mention Niskanen, I don’t believe we’ve seen the last of Nisky.
The reports says he retired but capfriendly has him listed as suspended without pay so he is still signed, meaning could be back after the trade deadline.
Niskanen is the add in the end...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't know if Larsson's play has really fallen off, but i do know that Barrie is not a Dman that can be depended upon to play defense. Don't know enough about Bear to comment, but thought he tended more towards offense than defense. I know EDM is an offense oriented team, but wouldn't removing Larsson from the equation this year be risky? Who are the defensive Dmen on the team?

Not really. Bear plays the tough minutes with Nurse and Barrie has well above average defensive numbers playing on the second pairing right now.

Basically the only thing they would miss is his PK minutes and Russell, Bear or Lagesson could step up there.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Ghost is available, oh wait the Flyers are now looking to add to the defense instead of trading away defenseman.

It’s only 6 games into the season against 3 teams, I wouldn’t start overreacting quite yet especially since no one had a preseason also Ghost hasn’t played a game yet...

Ghost is not a guy who will be able to right the ship defensively.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Who said the Flyers were in the market for a top 4 defenseman?

The title is worded kinda funny as if someone is blowing smoke but that’s JMO.

It’s also odd you mention Niskanen, I don’t believe we’ve seen the last of Nisky.
The reports says he retired but capfriendly has him listed as suspended without pay so he is still signed, meaning could be back after the trade deadline.
Niskanen is the add in the end...

Take note of the prefix “Speculation.” Considering the injuries and how Gus has looked, I think it’s objectively fair to say Fletcher would at least be browsing what’s out there.

Also, I stopped reading what you had to say after the bolded.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Take note of the prefix “Speculation.” Considering the injuries and how Gus has looked, I think it’s objectively fair to say Fletcher would at least be browsing what’s out there.

Also, I stopped reading what you had to say after the bolded.
Stranger things have happened so to totally count Niskanen out when he’s still technically under contract is shortsighted on your part, but I understand your probably younger and haven’t been watching the game as long as other posters on here.

CMayton

Dec 20, 2020
Same division, but I wonder if Washington may make a defenseman or two available. They're pretty deep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->