Confirmed with Link: Flyers Hire Brad Shaw To Be Associate Coach (Yeo Leaves For Vancouver)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You can interpret my post however you'd like.

The point is that this combination has already been tried. It yielded a completely average team which was aided by a hot goalie. There are posters on this board have attempted to paint Tortorella as a reformed dino who has adopted progressive views and yet he goes right back to the well of doing something that's already been attempted and yielded average results. I don't strive to be average. Sneaking into the playoffs and getting eliminated in the first round doesn't give me warm and fuzzies.

Newsflash, just because he's coaching the defense and the penalty kill doesn't mean that that doesn't indirectly play a role in how the offensive side of the game will be played.
So, you think Bednar could coach the Flyers into the playoffs this year?

Reactions: tucson83

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You can interpret my post however you'd like.

The point is that this combination has already been tried. It yielded a completely average team which was aided by a hot goalie. There are posters on this board have attempted to paint Tortorella as a reformed dino who has adopted progressive views and yet he goes right back to the well of doing something that's already been attempted and yielded average results. I don't strive to be average. Sneaking into the playoffs and getting eliminated in the first round doesn't give me warm and fuzzies.

Newsflash, just because he's coaching the defense and the penalty kill doesn't mean that that doesn't indirectly play a role in how the offensive side of the game will be played.
Yeah, he really stifled Werenski's development.

Newsflash: Just because Shaw didn't win a Stanley Cup with a mediocre Blue Jackets roster (that overachieved, in fact) doesn't mean he isn't a good coach. Your philosophy seems to be to discard perfectly valuable lamps because you want a mystical genie.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

Newsflash: Just because Shaw didn't win a Stanley Cup with a mediocre Blue Jackets roster (that overachieved, in fact) doesn't mean he isn't a good coach. Your philosophy seems to be to discard perfectly valuable lamps because you want a mystical genie.

GB, does it worry you a bit - some of Torts comments?

I’m trying to be open minded but he gives me a bit too much of a “heady” vibe. Mind games, and such. I could see that getting annoying as a player.

Shall see.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Columbus did have an above average to among league best PK -- not just goals against, but chance suppression and even offensive attacking -- for Shaw's tenure. Vancouver had ~3rd worst last season with him, and they were average defensively at 5v5, so I don't know. This doesn't actually have to be a bad hire. But they desperately need an up and coming offensive/PP coach, and I do not trust them to not bungle that.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
GB, does it worry you a bit - some of Torts comments?

I’m trying to be open minded but he gives me a bit too much of a “heady” vibe. Mind games, and such. I could see that getting annoying as a player.

Shall see.
Torts' mind games or Shaw's? In any event, neither bother me. And I'm not worried about Shaw whatsoever. Torts wouldn't have hired him if he didn't like him. Shaw probably does have a great mind for the game, and sometimes those guys do foster paralysis by analysis, and that's where Torts comes in. You need that counterbalance.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

I never said that it stifled his development. I also never said that he was or wasn't a good coach. He supposedly likes his PK's to be aggressive, I like that.

You believe they were a decent (overachieving) team. I believe they were an average team with a hot goalie.

Again as with everything they're all connected it's not just this specific thing. We've been told how progressive this guy is now and since he's rehiring an old friend (which is the opposite of being progressive) it leads me to believe that he's just going to hire someone that he's worked with before for the supposed offensive/PP coach that he's talked about needing because he doesn't understand the offensive side of the game.

I'm tired of this organization and nepotism. I understand that that is how the world works but this organization is over the top with it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Columbus did have an above average to among league best PK -- not just goals against, but chance suppression and even offensive attacking -- for Shaw's tenure. Vancouver had ~3rd worst last season with him, and they were average defensively at 5v5, so I don't know. This doesn't actually have to be a bad hire. But they desperately need an up and coming offensive/PP coach, and I do not trust them to not bungle that.
It looks like Brunette is looking for a job, obviously he's not going to return to Florida in that role and the musical chairs of HC jobs is about over.

Flyers would be a good landing spot for him, he has the connection with Fletcher, Torts is 64, so he can be groomed as his successor if a better offer doesn't come along.

He'd also be a "good cop" choice to go with Torts as the "bad cop":

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I'm sure Brunette is on the list. If they hire him, I'm also sure some people will complain because he has Minnesota Fletcher connections.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You believe they were a decent (overachieving) team. I believe they were an average team with a hot goalie.
Bob in the regular season under Torts: .908, .931, .921, .913 compare to .900, .906, .913 in Florida
Bob in the playoffs with CBJ: .882, .900, .925, FLA, .901, .841, .911.

Were they an average team with a hot goalie, or an average goalie with a HC who managed to get the most out of him?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It looks like Brunette is looking for a job, obviously he's not going to return to Florida in that role and the musical chairs of HC jobs is about over.

Flyers would be a good landing spot for him, he has the connection with Fletcher, Torts is 64, so he can be groomed as his successor if a better offer doesn't come along.

He'd also be a "good cop" choice to go with Torts as the "bad cop":

Much as I think he was in over his head as a first time head coach for a contender, they could do worse for an assistant. I'd rather poach someone stewing in the more forward thinking Panthers than a lot of other organizations.

How easily Florida's elite talent got neutralized in the playoffs was a problem. And the PP woes left a lot to be desired in small sample. But the regular season stats bear out, and luckily, the Flyers won't make the playoffs. So as I said, they could do worse. The Fletcher/Wild connection isn't necessarily as bad as other cases, but it's worthy of a chortle.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What's more, Tortorella jokingly said that Shaw should come to work in a "lab coat" because he's at times overly scientific about the game.

You'd think the crowd here who consider themselves hockey intellectuals would like a coach who Torts called a hockey "intellectual," but, no. Whatever this organization does right now is going to be met with immediate negativity by posters who have made negativity their identity.

Is there any organizational self-fluffing and propaganda you don't zealously believe at face value?

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I don’t think the Flyers have bad PK players. Could they improve the roster there sure. But the PK scheme has sucked for awhile now. Hopefully Brad has some good ideas to improve. Everyone knows the Flyers special teams have been atrocious for years

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Much as I think he was in over his head as a head coach for a contender, they could do worse for an assistant. I'd rather poach someone stewing in the more forward thinking Panthers than a lot of other organizations.

How easily Florida's elite talent got neutralized in the playoffs was a problem though. And the PP problem solving left a lot to be desired. Luckily, the Flyers won't make the playoffs, so as I said, they could do worse. The Fletcher/Wild connection isn't necessarily relevant here, but it's humorous.
Could simply have been a case of the regular season going so smoothly they didn't identify flaws until it was too late.
Like Torts smothering an overconfident TB offense in the playoffs, and changing the way they approached playoff hockey.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Some quotes from a Vancouver article in early June mentioning that Shaw was interviewing for the Chicago HC job:

"Shaw received league-wide plaudits for taking over a pitiful penalty kill this season that went from a 63.9-per-cent kill rate in November to 80-per-cent efficiency the last three months."

"In Vancouver, Shaw encouraged the introduction of skill and will to the penalty kill in Quinn Hughes, Elias Pettersson and Bo Horvat, with Hughes saluting an articulate approach that made it easier to buy in."

“Brad has a great read on the connection to proper team play, where all the players need to be in sync with each other,” Hitchcock, a special adviser to the Blues, said Monday. “He has an understanding of what it takes for a team to have consistent success over the long haul.

“Details really matter to Brad and he is relentless in making sure it matters to the players.”

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"How can you make us hard to play against and not poor defensively?"

"I thought I was interviewing as the power play coach....?"

"Yes."
Well, given our PP last year, not giving up SH opportunities WOULD be a good start.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Anyone on your short list?

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
JMO but there are some positive incremental changes happening here. Torts better than AV; Shaw better than Yeo; just about anyone better than Therrien. These may not be earth shattering hires but they're definitely a step forward.
We're heading in the right direction.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
AV was very good his first year, about as bad as can be by his third season.
Therrien, well, let's say for a former HC he was pretty clueless.
Yeo was kinda between the rock and the hard place, he didn't make the best of it but it was a thankless job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad