Confirmed with Link: Flyers Hire Brad Shaw To Be Associate Coach (Yeo Leaves For Vancouver)

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

In case anyone's interested in the Vancouver press release about it.

I mean, sure? This feels like a "Great trade! What did we get?" situation. It's very hard to lose any deal when you're removing Mike Yeo from your organization.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Makes perfect sense considering he was with Torts for 5 seasons in Columbus.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Live look at Chuck losing a Minny connection:

giphy.gif

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
He worked with Tortorella in Columbus. Getting those smart offensive minds together that worked so well in the past.
Sounds like he will run the D and PK here...so this isnt the "offensive mind" hire. Still holding my breath for that one.

Torts teams usually are good PKing teams...and one thing the Flyers have is good PK personal. No reason they shouldnt be a top 10 pk in the league next year.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Do you think Columbus underachieved with Torts and Shaw?
Do I think the 2015-2021 Columbus Blue Jackets are something that the Flyers should be attempting to emulate? No, I don't. Have a hot goalie and squeak into the playoffs to see what happens... Yay!

For someone that is supposedly progressive now (Torts) you would think that you would like to try new things instead of returning to the well.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Sounds like he will run the D and PK here...so this isnt the "offensive mind" hire. Still holding my breath for that one.

Torts teams usually are good PKing teams...and one thing the Flyers have is good PK personal. No reason they shouldnt be a top 10 pk in the league next year.
It's all connected. Just because he's not coaching the offense/PP proper doesn't mean that it doesn't play a role in how the team will play offensively.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Do I think the 2015-2021 Columbus Blue Jackets are something that the Flyers should be attempting to emulate? No, I don't. Have a hot goalie and squeak into the playoffs to see what happens... Yay!

For someone that is supposedly progressive now (Torts) you would think that you would like to try new things instead of returning to the well.
Why avoid the question?

You sarcastically insinuated that Tortorella and Shaw didn't work out well together in Columbus.

What are you basing that on?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He worked with Tortorella in Columbus. Getting those smart offensive minds together that worked so well in the past.
"Shaw has been an NHL coach for the last 16 years — but other than a brief time in 2005-06, his first season as an NHL coach, he’s been an assistant or associate coach but never been the head man. In that time he’s developed a solid reputation for his work with defencemen and penalty killers."

Don't think he's come here to run the PP.

He must have a good reputation around the league.

"According to Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli, the Blackhawks have asked the Canucks to speak with Shaw about their opening head coach position. Sources confirmed to Postmedia that Shaw has indeed heard from NHL teams about head coaching vacancies."

Canucks' assistant coach Brad Shaw drawing interest from Blackhawks, others

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
"Shaw has been an NHL coach for the last 16 years — but other than a brief time in 2005-06, his first season as an NHL coach, he’s been an assistant or associate coach but never been the head man. In that time he’s developed a solid reputation for his work with defencemen and penalty killers."

Don't think he's come here to run the PP.
What's more, Tortorella jokingly said that Shaw should come to work in a "lab coat" because he's at times overly scientific about the game.

You'd think the crowd here who consider themselves hockey intellectuals would like a coach who Torts called a hockey "intellectual," but, no. Whatever this organization does right now is going to be met with immediate negativity by posters who have made negativity their identity.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Why avoid the question?

You sarcastically insinuated that Tortorella and Shaw didn't work out well together in Columbus.

What are you basing that on?
I don't care what their expectations were or whether or not they underachieved. The 2016-2021 Columbus Blue Jackets aren't something that the Flyers should be trying to emulate. That's the point.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I don't care what their expectations were or whether or not they underachieved. The 2016-2021 Columbus Blue Jackets aren't something that the Flyers should be trying to emulate. That's the point.
No, it's a completely different point from sarcastically saying, and I quote, "He worked with Tortorella in Columbus. Getting those smart offensive minds together that worked so well in the past."

Most would agree they got more out of Columbus than anyone expected.

So if your problem is with hiring a defensive coach to coach the defense, just say that instead of implying Torts and Shaw were failures together.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, imagine if CBJ could have actually extended Panarin instead of letting him walk, and trading for Dzingel and Duchene and letting them walk as well.

If you build something in Philly, you can actually maintain that team.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
No, it's a completely different point from sarcastically saying, and I quote, "He worked with Tortorella in Columbus. Getting those smart offensive minds together that worked so well in the past."

Most would agree they got more out of Columbus than anyone expected.

So if your problem is with hiring a defensive coach to coach the defense, just say that instead of implying Torts and Shaw were failures together.
You can interpret my post however you'd like.

The point is that this combination has already been tried. It yielded a completely average team which was aided by a hot goalie. There are posters on this board have attempted to paint Tortorella as a reformed dino who has adopted progressive views and yet he goes right back to the well of doing something that's already been attempted and yielded average results. I don't strive to be average. Sneaking into the playoffs and getting eliminated in the first round doesn't give me warm and fuzzies.

Newsflash, just because he's coaching the defense and the penalty kill doesn't mean that that doesn't indirectly play a role in how the offensive side of the game will be played.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You can interpret my post however you'd like.

The point is that this combination has already been tried. It yielded a completely average team which was aided by a hot goalie. There are posters on this board have attempted to paint Tortorella as a reformed dino who has adopted progressive views and yet he goes right back to the well of doing something that's already been attempted and yielded average results. I don't strive to be average. Sneaking into the playoffs and getting eliminated in the first round doesn't give me warm and fuzzies.

Newsflash, just because he's coaching the defense and the penalty kill doesn't mean that that doesn't indirectly play a role in how the offensive side of the game will be played.

Wait, are you saying that hockey isnt like football and you dont play offense and defense separately?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad