Flyers get outworked, outmuscled a lot! Reason for concern?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The one thing that got to me last game is that Hagg didn't jump that Gabriel after he destroyed Patrick even though Hagg was there. TK the small guy was the one to really go after him. We don't need to build a team of goons though.

This can't be true. I was told Hagg is a tough defenseman that hits a lot...?

:dunce:

Reactions: flyersfan187

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
The one thing that got to me last game is that Hagg didn't jump that Gabriel after he destroyed Patrick even though Hagg was there. TK the small guy was the one to really go after him. We don't need to build a team of goons though.

His passive play/manner on the ice had been a knock since his draft year. So not super surprising. No skill and no engine, great combo haha.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Thx for you response. I liked the way the team reponse in the 3rd period. Maybe i was a bit early with my rage.

I have said, i don´t want old time hockey! I just want the team to play hard. Like in the game vs Pitts in the Stadium Series. Or in the 3rd Period vs ths Devils.

If i look games of Tampa or Nashville, they are playing a harder on the edge game than the flyers. I dont see any goons in Tampa or Nashville. So i don´t want to goon it up. I don´t understand, why a lot of people on here just don´t read what is written. I know my english is bad. But is it really that bad? Or is it just, that a few posters on here are biased against new posters?

I have joined this board in 2010 and was reading a lot of years before that. I really like the discussions in here and respect a lot of posters for their work.

But why is it that hard to take someone serious who doesn´t speak perfect english and asked a question. Isn´t this a message board for discussion? I dont said that i wanna trade Ghost for Trouba, cause he is heavier (like Hatcher would), i dont said Haag is any good (i only stated that his only positive in the beginning was his boardwork!).

In my eyes we need players like Hartman in our bottom six. He has skill, he can score 10 - 15 goals and play on the edge. Like the early Raffl, like the early Read, like Betts. I also liked Powe in his early stage here. Players with speed, gritt and also the chance to score from time to time.
Isn´t that the way other teams in the league have playoff success?

Flame away.....

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Think about it though, how much is it the players vs how much is the manner in which they are directed to play. If you push for an aggressive forecheck which is going to lead to hits, turnovers from dmen looking over their shoulders, etc this team has forwards to do so. But they rarely engage in an agressive forecheck.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
its why I'd keep Hartman going forward.

I worried he might be a Turd.
A Turd is simply a Ham N Egger, a Jobber, someone who doesn't have any value like Andy Mcdonald.

But he's not a Turd.
He could be valuable as a bottom 6 player. I'd keep him instead of hoping for these 2nd tier prospects.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Thx for you response. I liked the way the team reponse in the 3rd period. Maybe i was a bit early with my rage.

I have said, i don´t want old time hockey! I just want the team to play hard. Like in the game vs Pitts in the Stadium Series. Or in the 3rd Period vs ths Devils.

If i look games of Tampa or Nashville, they are playing a harder on the edge game than the flyers. I dont see any goons in Tampa or Nashville. So i don´t want to goon it up. I don´t understand, why a lot of people on here just don´t read what is written. I know my english is bad. But is it really that bad? Or is it just, that a few posters on here are biased against new posters?

I have joined this board in 2010 and was reading a lot of years before that. I really like the discussions in here and respect a lot of posters for their work.

But why is it that hard to take someone serious who doesn´t speak perfect english and asked a question. Isn´t this a message board for discussion? I dont said that i wanna trade Ghost for Trouba, cause he is heavier (like Hatcher would), i dont said Haag is any good (i only stated that his only positive in the beginning was his boardwork!).

In my eyes we need players like Hartman in our bottom six. He has skill, he can score 10 - 15 goals and play on the edge. Like the early Raffl, like the early Read, like Betts. I also liked Powe in his early stage here. Players with speed, gritt and also the chance to score from time to time.

Flame away.....
They absolutely needed players like Hartman in the bottom 6 — fast, emotional, & borderline dirty. I clamored for it for a long time. They still need one more of the same ilk on line 4. Laughton doesn’t do it.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
They absolutely needed players like Hartman in the bottom 6 — fast, emotional, & borderline dirty. I clamored for it for a long time. They still need one more of the same ilk on line 4. Laughton doesn’t do it.
A forth line next year of aube kubel Laughton and Hartman would be irritating to play against.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
A forth line next year of aube kubel Laughton and Hartman would be irritating to play against.

Laughton is just meh as far as I'm concerned.

I would have an all annoying line for the 4th.
Hartman and 2 other players. I'd trade a couple of these prospects who will be blocked in some type of trade. Most of these guys have no place in the future lineup, might as well use their value while you can.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Would not complain.

But we can one up Laughton
It’s probably the best in house option we would have. I mean I’ve made it clear I’d love another 3/4 line tweener of a center.

But part of it is how they are coached. We will see today, the isles forth line isn’t a line of speedsters, but they actively get in. They are told to go after the opposing teams defenders aggressively and separate players from puck. The flyers don’t forecheck with any assertiveness.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
We sure saw something today.
Correct...so many (younger) Flyers had games where they complete physically with an opponent that relies on it more than most, and they absolutely won the battle. IN an important game.

They're all men...this is part of the learning process where they understand what it takes to complete in the NHL, put it into practice, and get rewarded for the effort. And they're doing it as a group...this is chemistry being built.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
This is such a weirdly built team. Too talented to be average too average to be good. Coaching and chemistry go a long way with that and we've really messed with both this year.

I thinl theres size on the back end with morin and myers coming up and speed coming next year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's a serious concern:

Last 23 games (since 1/10) - 17-4-2
Corsi 45.05%
GF/GA 51/47
SCF% 44.31%
HDCF% 45.0%
S% 92.96% (7th)
PP goals 17 (4th)
PK 9 goals against (tied for 4th), PK S% 89.02 (7th)

The fact they're being dominated at 5x5 is a real issue, every metric says they're losing the battle at both ends.
Goalies and special teams are carrying this team, but you need to at least be able to play even at 5x5 to be a serious playoff team.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Hey guys.

Just looking Devils vs Flyers...

It´s another of these games.....

We get hit in the boards with the intent to injure our player...
We suffer goals in the crease, but no defender is doing anything vs the opponent in the crease....
we get hit in the mouth (Konecny)

And were doing.... NOTHING.....

The Ryan Hartman work in his first game was outstanding... He play on the edge but dont over...

I dont want the team to play the old hockey way, cause these times are gone. But where is our mean streak. Where is our Chara, why isn´t Konecny not playing like Marchand. Why is Hartman or Laughton not hitting on every opportunity... Hagg is playing weak in my eyes. His only plus was his board work and his mean streak. The last weeks he is playing like a small defender. How can all this small opponents score near our goal line?

All of that are concerns in my eyes.

What you think?

One word...Sammorin!

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

Flame away.....

I agree. I often have to hide my inner knuckle dragger but you are on point.

I like Hartman but he will basically be Raffl’s replacement. I don’t think Raffl re-signs.
Hartman, TK, NAK, and Laughton are abrasive skilled players (less so with Laughton) but the next influx of young guys Farabee, Frost don’t seem to be that type of player...WHiCH IS FINE. SKILL IS BETTER. Adding another player that is a pain in the arse to play against wouldn’t be a bad idea.

TB isn’t thought of as a tough team but they have guys that play on the edge like Palatte.
Also it seems like they never have less than 4-5 dmen over 6’5”. They don’t fight aside from Coburn but they aren’t getting pushed around.
Vegas also has Reaves and Engelland playing a regular role.

I am not talking about fighting but teams should have a tinge of dread when coming to town.

Adding Morin, Myers, NAK/Bailey, Hartman to TK, Laughton, and Gudas would be nice.

forzanerazzurri

Mar 22, 2007
Calgary
Vegas is a good example of what the Flyers should emulate, they're fast, but not undersized and they forecheck and back check over 200 feet. They're a physical team in the modern NHL, hitting in the flow of the game.

Interesting that the top five hitters include two defensemen who are clear liabilities: Hagg and Johnston.

Hit stats may be a negative when they tempt defensemen to get out of position, a positive when they encourage forwards to skate harder to get to the puck carrier in the O-zone.
Bingo

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Yeah a lot of people seems to see it the same way. No one is needing Players like Carcillo or Rinaldo who was skating hitters but not hockey first players. I want hockey players who are able to play on the edge. I liked Hartman when i saw him in a 3rd line role in the world juniors for USA. He played with Cole Badreau on this 3rd line. He worked hard as f***.

I have seen a lot of good things from him since then, when i saw him. But he also has stretches where he was invisible. Maybe that is normal, cause no one can play 80 Hockey Games a Year on the edge. I was a bit disappointed after the trade for simmonds. On the other side we waited too long to trade Simmonds so it was really clear we don´t get anything of real value.

If Hartman continues to play, like he have i would be ok with a 2 year contract. But PLS not over 2,0 per year.
I really would like a Raffl - Laughton - Hartman line.

Or i also could see Frost - Laughton - Hartmann. Hartman and Laughton could work for Frost and they have enough speed to work with Frost. Hartman could protect Frost. And Frost could pass for the two. The only question would be if Laughton or Frost are able to play a 3rd line center next season. I would like to test ist.

All in all i would love to see Morin, Myers , Aubel Kubel, in the line up.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad