GDT: Flyers @ Flying Birds 7:30 PM

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Or he's putting him out there as a 2nd center for important defensive zone draws.

I get this argument, but Thompson is averaging something like 11+ even strength minutes per game. That's 11 minutes out of 60 of almost no chance of offensive production (he's that bad offensively - Beauchemin, a stay at home defenseman has the same amount of points than him in less games played). That's insane IMO

Last edited:

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Nobody was injured in that one, so the injury voodoo monster went for Ahlers' jugular. He's probably day-to-day now.

I'll take the ugly win, these games haven't been much fun to watch but kudos to the team for grinding out points.

Oct 18, 2011
That doesn't address the problem at center. They have a kid playing out of position (DSP), and a marginal 4th line center on their bottom 2 lines. Until that improves I can't see this team as a cup team
3c has to be addressed, we need someone who can help get some production out of some of these wingers

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Good to get the 2 points. I really marvel at our young core of NHL defenceman, if we can keep Fowler, Lindholm, Manson and Vatanen together long term.....wow.

I dream of a day where our wingers can actually finish chances.

3c has to be addressed, we need someone who can help get some production out of some of these wingers
Yep. I think it was fair to see how Rakell/Karlsson handled it but it's definitely something that needs to be addressed now given they both haven't looked ready for that role yet.

Not even. Go look at Columbus.

We actually have more man games lost then Columbus now I believe.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
That isn't why they are playing terrible. The forwards have been a major disappointment across the board to me.

Its a bit of a mix of both honestly. Andersen has been pretty average lately outside of a few games, but that's to be expected with five defensemen on the IR and being overworked. I think once some of our D get healthy and Gibson comes back we can gain some more confidence and start playing a little more loose offensively. Everyone looks tight/out of sorts lately.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Good to get the 2 points. I really marvel at our young core of NHL defenceman, if we can keep Fowler, Lindholm, Manson and Vatanen together long term.....wow.

Yep. I think it was fair to see how Rakell/Karlsson handled it but it's definitely something that needs to be addressed now given they both haven't looked ready for that role yet.

I think Murray was gearing up towards addressing it when the second wave of injuries and illness hit the defense group. Hopefully one Fistric and Lovejoy are healthy he'll get back on track.

Oct 18, 2011

it's unfortunate neither one grabbed this opportunity given to them, rakell i think is done here unless more injuries hit

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Its a bit of a mix of both honestly. Andersen has been pretty average lately outside of a few games, but that's to be expected with five defensemen on the IR and being overworked. I think once some of our D get healthy and Gibson comes back we can gain some more confidence and start playing a little more loose offensively. Everyone looks tight/out of sorts lately.
Ehhh. Silfverberg, Rakell, Karlsson, Etem, DSP, Thompson - essentially the group that was supposedly going to provide our bottom 6 scoring - have all floundered. Add Maroon and Cogliano to that list (the latter of whom shouldn't have been considered a top 6er anyway), and that's more than just injury discombobulation. I'm really worried this is not the team they thought it would be offensively.

I agree our overall play will improve once the D gets healthy. And Gibson, I guess, though I'm not in love with him. But I think the 4-line scoring is gone for good.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
it's unfortunate neither one grabbed this opportunity given to them, rakell i think is done here unless more injuries hit

Rakell doesn't have a regular season goal in almost a full season's worth of regular season games and was completely invisible this year. He's still extremely young, but his stock has dropped considerably IMO the past year.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013

I wouldn't give up on Karlsson as being our 3rd line center for the playoffs. He has 1/2 season to develop in Norlfolk, which worked for Getz and Pears in our Stanley Cup year. We will make the playoffs, so we can afford to be patient.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I wouldn't give up on Karlsson as being our 3rd line center for the playoffs. He has 1/2 season to develop in Norlfolk, which worked for Getz and Pears in our Stanley Cup year. We will make the playoffs, so we can afford to be patient.

Nah, Getz and Pears were established 2nd liners the entire season when we won the cup. It's a stretch to say he'll be ready to produce offense this year. They need a 40 point 3C to balance out Thompson's poor production...I don't think Karlsson is capable of that.

Really thought Thompson was going to be at least a little better offensively than this....

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Ehhh. Silfverberg, Rakell, Karlsson, Etem, DSP, Thompson - essentially the group that was supposedly going to provide our bottom 6 scoring - have all floundered. Add Maroon and Cogliano to that list (the latter of whom shouldn't have been considered a top 6er anyway), and that's more than just injury discombobulation. I'm really worried this is not the team they thought it would be offensively.

I agree our overall play will improve once the D gets healthy. And Gibson, I guess, though I'm not in love with him. But I think the 4-line scoring is gone for good.

We're still 9th in the league in goals scored even with all of those guys sucking, which is at least a little bit hopeful. We're also bottom 10 in goals against though, which is a big reason why we're stuck in and endless stream of 1-goal/OT games.

I know a lot of people want us to make a big acquisition (which would help), but I feel we should just stick in wait and see mode and see if some defensive reinforcements will push us forward a bit.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
We're still 9th in the league in goals scored even with all of those guys sucking, which is at least a little bit hopeful. We're also bottom 10 in goals against though, which is a big reason why we're stuck in and endless stream of 1-goal/OT games.

I know a lot of people want us to make a big acquisition (which would help), but I feel we should just stick in wait and see mode and see if some defensive reinforcements will push us forward a bit.
We're 13th in goals per game, even after tonight's goalsplosion.

Like I said, I think we'll be on the right side of the standings points most nights once the D sorts out, but this is a pretty unremarkable roster as currently constructed. What's it good at, when healthy? What's going to make it better in a 7 game series vs. LA or Chicago or the Blues or Predators? Can't tell right now. Couldn't tell in the summer, either.

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA
Nah, Getz and Pears were established 2nd liners the entire season when we won the cup. It's a stretch to say he'll be ready to produce offense this year. They need a 40 point 3C to balance out Thompson's poor production...I don't think Karlsson is capable of that.

Really thought Thompson was going to be at least a little better offensively than this....

So they need an MP22..

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
I wish the lower bowl was as packed as the top.

Pic related: Henry Samueli.
B3_bzYrCMAA60If.jpg:large

It was actually the opposite

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Maloney is on the record wanting to re-sign Vermette, said something along the lines it's very difficult to find a C and whennyou have a good one you really need to keep them. Thus I'm not sure it's realistic.
Yeah, I have the feeling that what we end up with is something that no one sees coming, or maybe someone comes up and takes the spot. I don't think that's out of the question, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad